G'day from the great land downunder

S

Shane_H

Hey, my name is Shane and I'm from the great country of Australia. at 36 years young, I have had a huge interest in the art of airbrushing for many many years but have never done anything about it. Bit of an admirer and window shopper when it comes to airbrushed art. This was until about a year ago when I visited a local Hot Rod show and spoke to a local airbrush artist who had a booth set up with some of his artworks on display. After chatting to him for a while, I was hooked again so purchased myself an airbrush and have been checking out a heap of on-line tutorials hoping it will help me out.

I am a graphic designer by trade so creativity and art has always been a huge part of my life. Naturally things are so much easier on a computer because when I stuff something up, it's very easy to undo. I feel airbrushing will certainly have it's challenges although after a few conversations with my local airbrush artist, he has offered to invite me to his workplace to check out his stuff and have a play around with airbrushing. I am hoping he will start some classes up very soon.

I have an interest in pretty much interested in most forms of airbrushing from plastic scale models, to full size cars, paper and most other stuff in between. I like to think big and have big dreams so I will see where this art form leads me.

I am yet to actually put paint in my airbrush and have a crack at it. Just got to get the wife and kids stuff out of my garage so I have a bit of spare space to have a go.

Well, that's me for now. I look forward to being part of these forums and hearing the advice and tips from you guys and girls who have been doing this for a while now or have just started like me.

nice to see an intro finally Shane, welcome to the fun and mayhem
what brush did you get ? where in Oz are you ?

half your luck being able to shadow someone already airbrushing !

Cheers JackEb. Im from the Central Coast of NSW. Half way between Sydney and Newcastle.

The airbrush was bought for me. I think it's just a cheap $50 unit. Not sure on the brand, would have to check later. 0.2mm gravity feed dual action thing. Think it will do the job to get me started and then upgrade when the time, need and cash allows it.

The shadowing hasn't started yet but hopefully soon. Will be super grateful if I actually get to do it and pick up a few tricks and techniques along the way from a professional.

Hi Shane, welcome from New Zealand. 0.2mm is pretty skinny... very detail brush! If the paint you got is tricky to spray through it you will likely need to get a better quality paint. It goes a long way. A good source of product.... http://www.airbrushmegastore.com/

Thanks, pleasure to be here. There is some very talented people around these parts.

Thanks, pleasure to be here. There is some very talented people around these parts.

There are some amazingly talented people here, and we are very lucky that they like to share. Then you get people like me, who despite illusions of grandeur know that they won't live long enough to make a living out of this thing with the airbrush, but are enjoying the journey anyway..

Welcome from the UK. If you think you really want to get into this, then give some thought to upgrading your brush. No one wants to shell out when they don't know if they'll like it, but a cheap brush can really slow down (even totally kill) your learning curve. Unless you are lucky, the cheap ones are so poor you will spend all your time trying to get it to work, and won't know if its the technique that's wrong, or the brush. Hopefully your mate will let you try his so you can see what the difference is.

Welcome from the UK. If you think you really want to get into this, then give some thought to upgrading your brush. No one wants to shell out when they don't know if they'll like it, but a cheap brush can really slow down (even totally kill) your learning curve. Unless you are lucky, the cheap ones are so poor you will spend all your time trying to get it to work, and won't know if its the technique that's wrong, or the brush. Hopefully your mate will let you try his so you can see what the difference is.

Thanks for the advice. Makes total sense. You really do get what you pay for and like you said, although nobody wants to pay a heap of cash in the very beginning, it can sometimes do more harm than good buying cheap. Hopefully mine doesn't give me too much grief until I can afford something better.

Sorry for the multiple posts. Having internet problems here. Is there a way to delete them???

Welcome to you from Sunny Las Vegas Nevada! Or is that Lost Wages Nervana? I can never keep those straight. In either case, welcome. Always good to have another airbrush artist in the world!

Back