G'day from the great land downunder

Welcome to you from Sunny Las Vegas Nevada! Or is that Lost Wages Nervana? I can never keep those straight. In either case, welcome. Always good to have another airbrush artist in the world!

Thanks but "airbrush artist" is a bit beyond me yet. Still yet to put paint to paper but very keen to learn the art and bust out some wicked designs with a bit of luck.... Well a whole lot of luck.

Thanks but "airbrush artist" is a bit beyond me yet. Still yet to put paint to paper but very keen to learn the art and bust out some wicked designs with a bit of luck.... Well a whole lot of luck.
Well then, let me pass on some advice (as giving advice is the only good thing to come with gray hair). This is also the same thing I used to tell my students when I taught airbrushing at the the college. You are using a tool that operates under high air pressure using a liquid medium. if 2 factors where ever geared towards creating disaster I can't think of them. So give yourself the time to master them without telling yourself you have no talent with an air brush. Resist the urge to tear up your first tries at it. Do not pound your airbrush into your table top as it spits at the worst possible moment. Do not wear expensive pants while you work, as they will definitely get paint on them, where as the painter's overalls will remain pristine. The paint is clogging on your needle because its natural for paint to dry when air is flowing over it, not because your airbrush is possessed by Satan. If you are using masking materials, and a critical piece of film is missing, check the cat. Its on his butt. Above all else, be wildly patient with yourself. If artists taught their children how to walk the same attitude they try to learn airbrushing, we would all be living in a very short world.

Well then, let me pass on some advice (as giving advice is the only good thing to come with gray hair). This is also the same thing I used to tell my students when I taught airbrushing at the the college. You are using a tool that operates under high air pressure using a liquid medium. if 2 factors where ever geared towards creating disaster I can't think of them. So give yourself the time to master them without telling yourself you have no talent with an air brush. Resist the urge to tear up your first tries at it. Do not pound your airbrush into your table top as it spits at the worst possible moment. Do not wear expensive pants while you work, as they will definitely get paint on them, where as the painter's overalls will remain pristine. The paint is clogging on your needle because its natural for paint to dry when air is flowing over it, not because your airbrush is possessed by Satan. If you are using masking materials, and a critical piece of film is missing, check the cat. Its on his butt. Above all else, be wildly patient with yourself. If artists taught their children how to walk the same attitude they try to learn airbrushing, we would all be living in a very short world.

I'm sorry my friend but everything you said not to do, I did do and wasted a lot of clothes, paper and airbrushes, I blame you for this cos you wasn't here at the time and you are four years too late, I can't believe you stood back for four years and let all this happen to me and to cap it all, no damn apology:):):) a load of crap of course but that's my way of saying we could have done with you around when the forum first started;)

Now I have a question (my hand is up, honest) now we know where to look for that tiny important piece of film, can you tell us where the tiny disappearing nozzles go?:) @Squishy thinks they enter another dimension but I have my doubts since I have difficulty understanding or believing the dimension I'm in now:confused:

I'm sorry my friend but everything you said not to do, I did do and wasted a lot of clothes, paper and airbrushes, I blame you for this cos you wasn't here at the time and you are four years too late, I can't believe you stood back for four years and let all this happen to me and to cap it all, no damn apology:):):) a load of crap of course but that's my way of saying we could have done with you around when the forum first started;)

Now I have a question (my hand is up, honest) now we know where to look for that tiny important piece of film, can you tell us where the tiny disappearing nozzles go?:) @Squishy thinks they enter another dimension but I have my doubts since I have difficulty understanding or believing the dimension I'm in now:confused:
Ugh. My studio has carpet (not my idea), so its a literal black hole for airbrush nozzles. When I am working on an airbrush I take it out to the kitchen (which has a floor) and I keep all the small parts in an upside down Peanut Butter jar lid. Keeps the small parts in 1 place, and the lid is heavy enough the cats don't try to bat it around. I also keep back up parts in my studio so in case the carpet dimension swallows it I have a backup.

Advice noted and appreciated. To my teenage daughters disgust, I don't have a cat but I do have small children and 1 of them who loves my garage, taking things from it, playing with them and never returning anything so generally if things go missing in my garage, they could be anywhere from still in the immediate area somewhere to anywhere in the surrounding suburbs. Pretty much, once something goes missing, it's pretty much gone forever so no doubt, airbrush nozzles will take the same fate. So far, I am pretty addicted to YouTube videos on airbrushing as well as looking through these forums but I have 1 serious issue with all of this airbrushing stuff. You blokes make this stuff look so bloody easy. It just looks effortless when done right. Drives me nuts. lol. I do understand that like most other things, it takes time, practise and patience but I wish you guys would suck a bit more at it. Would make me feel a whole heap better about diving into this art form. Getting paint on my pants is the least of my worries at this point. Pants to an artist are like sleeves are to a runny nose. Just really convenient to wipe things on. lol

Just had a quick sneak peel at your facebook from the link. WOW, amazing work. Very talented.
Thanks :), I appreciate that. Im living proof that anyone can airbrush...lol. Your on the right track my friend by watching lots of YouTube videos. That is the trick!

Thanks :), I appreciate that. Im living proof that anyone can airbrush...lol. Your on the right track my friend by watching lots of YouTube videos. That is the trick!

YouTube is everyone's friend. In the meantime, if you could take it a bit easy on the talent, I would appreciate it. lol. How long have you been airbrushing for???

Advice noted and appreciated. To my teenage daughters disgust, I don't have a cat but I do have small children and 1 of them who loves my garage, taking things from it, playing with them and never returning anything so generally if things go missing in my garage, they could be anywhere from still in the immediate area somewhere to anywhere in the surrounding suburbs. Pretty much, once something goes missing, it's pretty much gone forever so no doubt, airbrush nozzles will take the same fate. So far, I am pretty addicted to YouTube videos on airbrushing as well as looking through these forums but I have 1 serious issue with all of this airbrushing stuff. You blokes make this stuff look so bloody easy. It just looks effortless when done right. Drives me nuts. lol. I do understand that like most other things, it takes time, practise and patience but I wish you guys would suck a bit more at it. Would make me feel a whole heap better about diving into this art form. Getting paint on my pants is the least of my worries at this point. Pants to an artist are like sleeves are to a runny nose. Just really convenient to wipe things on. lol
"Sleeves to a runny nose". Too damn funny! And there is nothing easy about airbrushing. Not one thing. It just takes practice and a love of doing it. Clear yourself some time, put some paint in your airbrush, get out a cheap piece of paper, and practice. Getting the feel of drawing with an airbrush is something that takes doing it over and over. When I started out, my first job as an artist was airbrushing T-Shirts in a store window. I had an airbrush in my hand spraying it 8 to 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. By the time I moved on from that job, I had an intimate feel for how my airbrush behaved (Paasche VL), and how my paint behaved. But it took a lot of working with it.

YouTube is everyone's friend. In the meantime, if you could take it a bit easy on the talent, I would appreciate it. lol. How long have you been airbrushing for???
Definitely not an naturally born talent, I gotta work really hard at it. I have always been in awe of those type of natural artist and we do have a few of those here. I've been doing this about 3 years off and on, mostly off due to real life obstacles. When I get the fever though....watch out lol. I'm trying really hard to mentally get back into it after working on a picture of my brothers departed dogs. It did not turn out very good so I am trying to work up the confidence to make a go at again. And in regards to that I can give you another piece of good....no....great advice. Never and I mean NEVER agree to do a pic for someone when the pic they give you is a very low resolution....lol. If it wasnt my brother I'd tell em to buggar off :). Thx for the compliments though @Shane_H . You seem to have a great attitude about learning this artform, and I promise you that if you keep at it the rewards will be great my friend :).

Back