G'day from WA

Dizzy

Young Tutorling
G'day.
Most people call me Dizzy (well, the ones that know me) and I am quite happy that that name wasn't taken already (ahhh, the small things in life). I'm from the south western coast of Australia ( the place is called Albany).
About a year ago a friend of mine and his mother invited me to a weekend airbrushing workshop where we were living. Loved it. Then, after telling my family that I enjoyed it and wouldn't mind doing it more at some point in the future, I received an airbrush (brand unknown - bulk e-bay type I was led to believe. Can't find a brand name on anything and all the parts list say as to allude to it's origins is: Model Airbrush; Specifications 134 134A 134B 134C 134D 134E...) a small, quiet compressor and a set of Trident paints. Then for my birthday an easel as well. I was over the moon but have have not had a lot of time to play with things.
I'm in a rented house and considering trying to paint inside as the weather is not great most of the times, let alone in winter.
Now I'm wanting to learn and have some time. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to reproduce photos in both black and white, and colour as well as come up with original pieces. I'm loving the candy works I've seen about. I've been considering purchasing Daniel Powers DVDs and looking at the Airbrush Venturi courses. (Although to do the courses I'd need to travel 4 hours every Saturday to the capital city for 7 weeks to complete 1 unit)
I suppose, I just love almost everything I've seen done by AB and want to be able to do it to a high quality as well. Every one has dreams. Haha.
Outside of that, I'm not too sure where to begin. OK, picking the AB up and spraying paint throughout the house, I get that. I like knowing that I'm working to some sort of structure to achieve improvement and just playing doesn't feel productive.

Look forward to moving forward with everyone.

- Dizzy

Hi dizzy. There are excersises to get you started. Our very own foundee is from australia! Look for the beginner videos from airbrushtutor, start there. Theres links in the getting started section, or a quick airbrushtutor i. Google will find them.

Welcome from the UK. :thumbsup:. You won't go wrong with the Daniel Powers DVD Set. I've got it. It's brilliant. So much information. Go for it.

Welcome from the other side, Dizzy.
You'll find the Airbrush Tutor exercises - see top of the page link - a real help.
Not only do they teach you the basic foundation strokes you need,but they're fun to do as well.
Yeah, I know dots and daggers . but after a while they're as boring as hell... you just want to do something that looks like some thing!
Give the "Eye" a try.
After you have done it, put it away for a couple of weeks / months, then bring it out and do it again.
You'll be really amazed, I almost guarantee it.

Hi and welcome to the Forum, Cant go wrong with the AB Tutors vids and Dan Powers dvds are good too.

Lee

Hi Dizzy, from up top in the UK (if you're down under, l must be up top??? :) ) .

The airbrush tutors vids basically have the foundations for everything you need to airbrush. I have heard good things about the venturi school from other people in your part of the world. But if it's too much of a PITA to get to, don't worry most of us got all our knowledge from the internet, and you will get all the advice you'll ever need right here from this talented bunch.

Welcome from South Australia Dizzy. Throw some paint in and start throwing it at what ever stands still in order to gets feel for the brush and how it behaves. Keep the pressure low if you're in a rental or you'll have over spray everywhere.

Once you've had your fun then print the exercises found on the website and practice some restraint by doing dots and daggers. As boring /silly as it may seem, they really are the basis of all pictures!

Thanks for the welcomes.
I've had a look though the Airbrush Tutors exercises and starting from dots. Starting fresh. I look forward to working with everyone and sharing my progress as I work my way through things.

We're global so no matter what the time is there is likely someone somewhere stalking the forum :)

Back