Glow effect

Draxden

Double Actioner
I'm designing a controller based on Hanzo from the game Overwatch. On the back of the controller is going to be his Ultimate move which is twin spectral dragons that fly across the map and deal damage to anyone it touches. They're blue and have a glow like effect to them, so I was planning on using this image, and wanted to make it seem as though it's glowing. My wife has a cricut, that I plan on using the create a stencil with, but I'm not sure how to apply the glow effect after.

If I might suggest something, when you do the masking of the image - BEFORE you lift it - spray [ or rather ] MIST the image outline with the 'halo' colour.
A good contrasting one would probably give you the effect you seek.
I would then, after the paint has dried, re- apply the original outline [ border of the image you're doing ] and continue from there.
The only hassle may be some sharper edges than necessary, but you can always blur them out when you're done with the main one.

I meant to add this earlier, but completely forgot. Splasha, that was my concern too. I'm pretty darn new to the airbrush, and I'm not sure how to go about doing the difference effects. I would like it to have a sharp edge but just glow, somewhat similar to what it is in the picture here. However with a slight blue tint to it, to better match in game.

Attachments

• hanzo-spray-10-seal.png
    hanzo-spray-10-seal.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 28
That's what I was thinking. I've tried doing just a small amount of lightning, and butchered it horrible lol. So it's got me terrified to even try it now. I don't want to have to redo it. The couple of designs I've messed up on. It's getting old haha.

I'm in same boat, just keep at it. Try different tricks til you get what you like. I've learned a lot from all the great artists here. There is so much to learn, even just getting your mix right. To me everything is experimental and experience, learn as you go!

I use create wicked colors paint, and I only have opaque colors. I've done a bit of a gradient with over reduced paint, would that work just as good as transparent?

I use create wicked colors paint, and I only have opaque colors. I've done a bit of a gradient with over reduced paint, would that work just as good as transparent?

Transparent would give you far more control over what your doing, especially since you can reduce that too, over reducing is what you do when you don't have or don't want to buy transparent or if what you might need it for is a one off:)

Yeah I've got to either order online, or go an hour away to get the paints. So definitely over reducing is what I've been doing. lol

Back