Golden Fluid + Airbrush Medium dry time

M

Matthewart

Hello all,

I am new here and new to airbrushing.

I have just been airbrushing using Golden Fluid Acrylics with Airbrush Medium added at roughly the suggested 1:1 ratio. The spray went fine, the results look great, but the film doesn't seem to be drying well. I sprayed over an hour ago and the paint surface has not dried at all yet, the film still feels wet and not at all tacky. I don't think I could have over thinned with the Airbrush Medium and my application is not particularly heavy.

Has anyone got any insight on this, is this drying time to be expected with the Golden Airbrush Medium, or could there be another reason why this paint mix may not be drying correctly?

Any helpful advice greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Matt

It would help to know where you are and what substrate you are painting on, I'm in the UK and am decorating my living room, it was all done this morning and this afternoon nothing is dry because of the high relative humidity with all the rain we've had, if you are working on paper after 15 or 20 minutes it should at least be tacky if not dry, on a non porous substrate like metal or plastic it could take longer, the atmospheric conditions of your location and the porosity of your substrate will affect drying time.

I am in London, it is wet looking out of my window. I am painting on top of an Acrylic painted surface, its cardboard underneath but has been sealed with many layers of acrylic paint so is non-porous.

Is it possible that the paint could be open for this long after spraying- it still feels as wet as it did when I first sprayed.

Matt

Do you have a hair dryer?
Also are you sure the base coats were 100% dry before applying more paint to it?
How are you mixing the Golden Fluid colors with the Airbrush medium? While Golden fluid can be reduced to work in an airbrush drying time of it seem to take longer then the Gloden High flow colors which are designed for the airbrush use.
But using a hairdryer on low heat high airflow should dry it out .

I am in London, it is wet looking out of my window. I am painting on top of an Acrylic painted surface, its cardboard underneath but has been sealed with many layers of acrylic paint so is non-porous.

Is it possible that the paint could be open for this long after spraying- it still feels as wet as it did when I first sprayed.

Matt

It certainly is possible if the relative humidity is high in your area, I'm sure where I am it is around 90%, I just checked and in your area it is 88%, you are using water based paint so it will naturally take forever to dry, im afraid in this case its quite normal, I don't even think a dehumidifier would be any use in light of how high it is, the minister in your paint has nowhere to go so it is staying where it is for now.

You did happen to add High Flow by Golden to it. That is a soap advent to be used for run techniques. I have used their Airbrush Medium in a lot of different acrylic paint and it dries super fast.

It was either called High Flow or Flow enhancer. I will look it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Back