Golden High Flow

J

John V

Hi
New to Golden High Flow paints
I have a bottle of Golden High Flow Cerulean Blue Hue And a Bottle of Transparent Quinacridone Red.
What is the difference between the two paints ? I thought all GHF was transparent.
John V

No Golden high flow is not all transparent. The hue is semi opaque and the red is transparent in this case , But unless it reads as a shadow color or transparent it pretty much is opaque.

No Golden high flow is not all transparent. The hue is semi opaque and the red is transparent in this case , But unless it reads as a shadow color or transparent it pretty much is opaque.

Thank You for the reply "Mr.Micron.
So if My understanding is correct if I started with standard Quinacridone Red it would be an opaque paint. To change it to transparent I could buy a bottle that had the word transparent on it . Or alternatively make it transparent with Golden Airbrush Transparent Extender.
If I am correct about the Airbrush Transparent Extender, How much extender would I need to add to a 1 oz bottle of the non transparent red to duplicate the transparent red ?

John V

Every pigment is different. Some are more opaque than others. The best bet is to look at the little swatch on the bottle. Yes the extender is to make it more transparent but how much depends on how transparent you wan it. If you only want the slightest tint then you would maybe to 20:1 (extender:paint). That is a personal thing.

If you use the extender to make transparent start at 1 drop paint to 5 drops extender that should get you close to there highflow transparent red,but remember the more coats of paint the darker it will get

Every pigment is different. Some are more opaque than others. The best bet is to look at the little swatch on the bottle. Yes the extender is to make it more transparent but how much depends on how transparent you wan it. If you only want the slightest tint then you would maybe to 20:1 (extender:paint). That is a personal thing.

Thank You AndreZA
John V

If you use the extender to make transparent start at 1 drop paint to 5 drops extender that should get you close to there highflow transparent red,but remember the more coats of paint the darker it will get

Thank You basepaint

John V

So if My understanding is correct if I started with standard Quinacridone Red it would be an opaque paint. To change it to transparent I could buy a bottle that had the word transparent on it . Or alternatively make it transparent with Golden Airbrush Transparent Extender.
If I am correct about the Airbrush Transparent Extender, How much extender would I need to add to a 1 oz bottle of the non transparent red to duplicate the transparent red ?

John V
That is not really how it work on making an opaque into transparent.When you add an opaque into a transparent base you are mainly just adding in a binder giving the pigment more room which will make it more transparent so to speak but it still will not be as light and translucent as an actual transparent paint.
It is kind of like making a fake candy by adding transparent paint with more transparent base it will give you an effect like candy but it will not be a true candy.
I have the complete set of golden high flow as well as all the colors in wicked and CI illustration lines. But learning a paint brands color pallet take time and practice to see how each color and hie plays with another .

Thank you Basepaint for that Imformation.
John V

That is not really how it work on making an opaque into transparent.When you add an opaque into a transparent base you are mainly just adding in a binder giving the pigment more room which will make it more transparent so to speak but it still will not be as light and translucent as an actual transparent paint.
It is kind of like making a fake candy by adding transparent paint with more transparent base it will give you an effect like candy but it will not be a true candy.
I have the complete set of golden high flow as well as all the colors in wicked and CI illustration lines. But learning a paint brands color pallet take time and practice to see how each color and hie plays with another .

Thank You Mr.Micron
I think I was wrong when I said " make it transparent with Golden Airbrush Transparent Extender" should have said High Flow Medium. The Airbrush Transparent Extender is for thinning (reducing the paint. Is that correct ?

John V

Thank You Mr.Micron
I think I was wrong when I said " make it transparent with Golden Airbrush Transparent Extender" should have said High Flow Medium. The Airbrush Transparent Extender is for thinning (reducing the paint. Is that correct ?

John V
Yes but you can just use water to reduce it as well.

Thinning or reducing opaques can give a more trans appearance, but will not be a true transparent as the more layers that you lay down the more opaque it gets. This is as opposed to a transparent, where the more layers you add the darker it gets, but you will still see the original surface underneath.

John V
The Quinacridone Red is available in both opaque and transparent in the GHF... see the link here. https://www.goldenpaints.com/products/colors/high-flow

Adding transparent base to the opaque will make it more transparent but if you want it really to work as a transparent buy the one marked "transparent"

Thank You Mr.Micron

John V
The transparent extender is not a reducer - it makes the paints more transparent without changing the viscosity. Water is the reducer for reducing the viscosity (making it flow faster).

Here is a link to what the Airbrush medium (formerly High Flow Medium) does https://www.goldenpaints.com/technicalinfo_abmedium

Here is a link to the transparent extender (previously Airbrush Transparent Extender) https://www.goldenpaints.com/technicalinfo_abtranex

The transparent extender is not a reducer - it makes the paints more transparent without changing the viscosity. Water is the reducer for reducing the viscosity (making it flow faster).

Here is a link to what the Airbrush medium (formerly High Flow Medium) does https://www.goldenpaints.com/technicalinfo_abmedium

Here is a link to the transparent extender (previously Airbrush Transparent Extender) https://www.goldenpaints.com/technicalinfo_abtranex

Thank You markjthomson for this information.

John V

I don't understand why Golden is so expensive. It might be fun to mess with if you had a few bottles laying around, but to invest in their product line is a wallet killer.

I don't understand why Golden is so expensive. It might be fun to mess with if you had a few bottles laying around, but to invest in their product line is a wallet killer.
It goes a really long way and cheaper for me here than most other brands.

That's surprising. Do you have better access to Trident that people in North America?
Yes I've got good access to trident but the golden is a better paint for my application. 8 bottles (50ml each) is $130.00 NZ while the GHF would be $120.00 for 8 30ml bottles. So GHF is more expensive but spread out over time the outlay isn't huge. It's cheaper than Schminke and CI in NZ

Back