Good kit for Beginner ?

Z

ZoneGamma

Hi !

I paint Tamiya Plastic Models and I'm looking to buy an Aribrush kit.
What do you think about this ?
Is it good for a beginner ?

• High-Performance Compressor that includes an Air Regulator with Gauge & Water Trap Filter, Automatic On/Off Shutoff and Thermal Protection from over heating.
  • Two Gravity Feed Dual-Action Airbrushes: Nozzle 0.3mm, 7cc cup; nozzle 0.2mm, 2cc cup. One Siphon Feed Single-Action Airbrush
  • Holder for 2 airbrushes. Set of 5 Airbrush Mini Cleaning Brushes.
  • 6 Foot Braided Air Hose with 1/8" Fittings at both ends (fits Iwata airbrush)
This High Performance compressor has been designed for users who need high quality spraying effect. Maintenance free, Single Cylinder Piston and Quiet.
Powerful Air Pressure (PSI) at 1/6 Horsepower, delivers more air volume than any airbrush demands.
Precise Air Adjustment with Gauge and Water Trap Filter that provides precise adjustment of airflow and will ensure clean, dry air.
Auto-stop Auto-start Energy Saving: Pressure start at 43 PSI and stop at set pressure up to 57 PSI when not spraying. This enables a longer compressor life from less motor wear and heat moisture.
Internal hot protection device, the compressor will auto cut off the power when its about to over heat, and reset after the motor cool down.
Can start with pressure, and continuous work.
Working pressure regulator with gauge.
Suitable for Airbrush with Nozzle: 0.2-1.0mm
On / Off switch on back side.
Portable with a easy carrying Handle
Type: Single Cylinder Piston
Power: 1/6 Horse Power
Speed: 1450 / 1700 RPM
Voltage: 110-120V / 60Hz
Air Flow: 20~23 Liter / Min
Air Outlet: 1/8" BSP Connector
Includes: Dual Airbrush Holder
Includes: 6 ft braided airhose with air-proof rubber, 1/8" -1/8" BSP connector
Instruction Manual

Well first off an introduction with a bit more information would be helpful. Yes you are a model builder but from what country?
Next an actual link to the airbrush kit in question would let us see exactly what brand (if any ) the airbrush and compressor is.
Also hard to say if it is a good price or not being you did not list a price.
Mainly we do not want to see anyone spend good money and get junk.
But when asking for help it is nice to know at the very least what country you live in . That way others in that county or area can give you better options .

Sorry !!

I live near Montreal (Canada).
It's a product on Amazon.ca named

[h=1]New Pro 3 Airbrush & Compressor Kit Dual-Action Air Brush Set with Regulator and Pressure Gauge, Braided Hose, Holder For Art Tattoo Nail[/h]
I can't submit a link since I'm a new user :)

it's 120$ CAN

Except for paint it looks like a pretty complete set.

-Compressor seems fine, you need an air regulator and moisture filter which are on there. The only thing you want it to do is produce air so basicly you can hardly go wrong with it. As it has a thermal protection it will be a membrane compressor so it will make a constant noise (some can live with it some can't :))

-The airbrushes, looking at the specs will do for models but there is some utter crap out there. Without knowing the brand there isn't a lot I can say about them. You will get what you pay for though and getting yourself a crappy airbrush will certainly lead to frustration. For what you want to do you don't need the most expensive ones but you will want a decent one. The verry cheap airbrushes tend to be of such low quality that you can't airbrush decently with them.

Edit (posted the price while I was typing this :)). If I read this corectly you'll get 3 brushes (and the rest) for 120 can (aprox 80-90 euro??). That is realy cheap and makes me question the quality of the kit and the airbrushes in particular. I wouldn't buy it without trying it or having read some user reviews.

Last edited:
There is no brand specified. Is New Pro a brand ?

The airbrush models are
AB-130
AB-135
AB-38

Those are the standard Chinese models sold under many brands. I would not recommend them for a beginner. Check the modeling forums. A lot of modelers are happy with the Badger Patriot, or Iwata Eclipse. I build models too. I have a bunch of airbrushes, but the one I use is a Badger 155 Anthem. If you want something really easy to use and don't need fine detail work, the Paasche H or Badger 350 will do. You might want to check out my reviews and others on the web.

Don

I googled a bit and I'm pretty sure those are chinese ripoff's of Iwata's (see pic if it looks like that, boxes are all about the same for them). They are sold under a lot of different names as you can order them and have anything you want printed on them (friend of mine runs an airbrush shop and ordered some).

As I said you get what you pay for, and with these you need to get a tad lucky I tried a few some performed reasonably others just didn't. The materials aren't top grade and stuff like needles and nozzles are easily damaged (so make sure you can get a hold on some replacement parts else you can throw m out of the window if you damage something).

AB-130-200-wide.jpg

Personaly I'd spend a tad more and buy a cheap airbrush from a decent brand (H&S evolutions are nice as you can switch out needles and nozzles) as if you like it you'll probably will want to replace those airbrushes anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info !
I know that paying this cheap I can't hope for the moon but to try and pratice I think it would be enough

I found another kit (lets name it Kit #2)

The is only one airbrush but at 100$ CAN for the compressor and the airbrush it must be better !!
2 reviews gave it 4/5 stars

MASTER Airbrush Compressor Features and Specifications:

Powerful 1/6 Horsepower Airbrush Compressor that's Light-Wieght Portable and Compact.
Features "Air-On-Demand" System that shuts off air when not in use.
Precise Air Adjustment Control from True Diaphragm Pressure Regulator with Gauge and Water Trap Filter that provides precise adjustment of airflow
Automatic On/Off Shutoff: Preset for automatic turn off when air pressure reaches 50 PSI. Preset for automatic turn on at 25 PSI. The reduced running time means there will less motor wear and less heat-related moisture enabling a longer compressor life.
Maintenance Free: Oil-less Piston Motor
Full 1 Year Warranty

Features "Air-On-Demand" System that shuts off air when not in use.
Precise Air Adjustment Control from True Diaphragm Pressure Regulator with Gauge and Water Trap Filter that provides precise adjustment of airflow
Automatic On/Off Shutoff: Preset for automatic turn off when air pressure reaches 50 PSI. Preset for automatic turn on at 25 PSI. The reduced running time means there will less motor wear and less heat-related moisture enabling a longer compressor life.

If you're looking at Master, it's the same Chinese stuff with a different brand name. The compressor might be all right. Most of them are made in China now anyway. I think you would be better off saving up a few more dollars and buying a major brand airbrush. You could get a Paasche H with 3 nozzle sizes and a hose for $53, and it would last forever. A Badger Patriot runs about $75. But, good luck with it.

Don

Thanks for the brands suggestions it is appreciated.

The first kit I was looking for sais that I can plus an Iwata airbrush to it..so maybe if the compressor is ok I can buy a better airbrush in the future.
"6 Foot Braided Air Hose with 1/8" Fittings at both ends (fits Iwata airbrush)"

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I would avoid anything with the word "kit" in it. IMO, it is a bit of a way to catch beginners out who aren't really sure what they need. It's hard to say for sure without seeing the link, but the brushes are usually copies of well known brands, but are poorly manufactured, and use inferior materials. You can get lucky with them, but it's hit and miss, and parts wear or damage easy too, so if they do work it may not be for too long. Also do you think you will need a single action brush, many people don't ever use them, so even though you would get two brushes, one of them may be surplus to reqiremens. Quite often the compressors are tankless, or oilless, and while they do compress air, aren't up to the job, as tankless ones will pulse, making I impossible to get a good paint flow, and oilless will soon overheat.

I think you would be better off buying things individually, and I don't think the price difference will be as much as you think. Especially when you consider that most people after buying similar equipment replace it with something more reliable fairly quickly, and end up spending more in the long run.

I would recommend buying a branded brush, at the best price within your budget as you get what you pay for. Perfomance will be better making it easier to learn, and parts will last longer, and be more readily available. If noise isn't too much of an issue, a regular compressor from a hardwear store would be much better, and way cheaper (but loud lol). You will need a moisture trap, and hose and connectors (adapters are available for most brushes, a shop will help you with this, or just ask here) and you can buy or make your own brush holder.

I really think you will get a much better quality "kit" this way, for a reasonable price. Then all you need to do is decide what paint you want to use :)

Edit: BTW I would avoid using those cleaning brushes, they can cause damage.

Last edited:
Ok ! Thanks everybody for all the info. I think I will save some money and buy something better.

What do you think of this AGPTek Compressor and Airbrush? 210$ on Amazon
Is a compressor with oil better ? should I absolutly buy one with oil ?

Compressor Specifications:
Type: Single Cylinder Piston with 0.92 Gallon (3.5 Liters) Air Tank
Power: 1/5 Horse Power
Voltage: 110-120V/60HZ
Dimensions:13"H x 6.5"W x 14"L
Weight: 11.5 LBS (5.2KG)
Electric Cord: 6 ft
Certificate: CE
Air Control: Pressure Regulator w/Gauge & Filter
Air Delivery: 25 Ltrs/Minute; 0.8 CFM @ 60 PSI
Working Pressure: 15-45 PSI
Auto Stop at 60 PSI, Auto Start at 35 PSI
Maximum Pressure: Factory Preset at 60 PSI, without Preset Control 100 PSI
Connections: 1/8'' BSP
Safety Pressure Relief Valve
Thermally Protected: Automatically turns itself off if the unit becomes over heated.
Low Noise: Very Quiet Operation, only 59 db.
Air-On-Demand: Designed to work only when you do, produces air on demand at your regulated pressure.

Spray Gun Specifications:
Feed Type: Gravity
Nozzle: Dia.0.3mm
Glass Jars: 7CC
Working Pressure: 15-50PSI
Double-action Trigger Air-paint Control
This Compressor Supports Airbrushing for Most:
Airbrush Types
Applications
Paint and Color Media
Levels of Users from Beginner to Advanced Artists

Trademark AGPtek products are marketed exclusively by Brainydeal

I started with a Master G22 kit, it was a HUGE upgrade from the one I had. It was a good kit to start with, when ya have NO CLUE, where to start, and what to buy.

I started with a Master G22 kit, it was a HUGE upgrade from the one I had. It was a good kit to start with, when ya have NO CLUE, where to start, and what to buy.

Thanks for the suggestion. My main use for the moment is to replace Can spay for plastic models.
You where satisfied with the use for the time you had it ?

Back