good morning friends I have a question about paint flow in my airbrush.

P

peterjames

I was practacing yesterday I noticed my airbrush is quite inconsistant. I noticed that when i pulled the trigger back a small ammount no paint came out, so i assumed i that i needed to pull it back further and i did and i got paint flow. but at times when i was trying to do thin lines and pulled back a small ammount paint would flow. so its kind of a guessing game as to weather or not paint will flow when i pull the trigger back a small ammount. i took the cap off and made sure there was no tip dry and there wasnt. i was using createx thinned with water. could it be that im not thinning the paint or maybe its just that i dont know my brush well enough ?

Sounds like it could be a dirty airbrush... nt sure what you're using, but some models are a little more temperamental than others when it comes to being perfectly clean. It also could be that your paint isn't thinned enough, but from my experience, createx doesn't take more than a drop or two of water, but you could always try thinning it a little more. Finding that perfect paint consistency for your airbrush, brand of paint, weather conditions (cold and humidity can make paint behave dramatically different), and painting style, can be a lifelong experiment.

Sounds like it could be a dirty airbrush... nt sure what you're using, but some models are a little more temperamental than others when it comes to being perfectly clean. It also could be that your paint isn't thinned enough, but from my experience, createx doesn't take more than a drop or two of water, but you could always try thinning it a little more. Finding that perfect paint consistency for your airbrush, brand of paint, weather conditions (cold and humidity can make paint behave dramatically different), and painting style, can be a lifelong experiment.

thanks for the reply. so you know I have an Iwata Eclipse and a Passche Talon . i took my airbursh appart prior and gave it a good cleaning. i dont know there could be some dry paint in the nozzle maybe il grab another one and see if it helps. Im planning on trying my fist airbrushed piece this weekend so wish me luck lol

oh i also forgot to mention that i was getting bubbles in the color cup.. i tightned the needle chuck which seemed to work..

Bubbles in the color cup means there is something in the way of the air flow... usually its caused by dried paint in the nozzle. There's lots of different advice on how best to clean the nozzles, from toothpicks to dental floss, but get it clean and you should be good to go. Just be extremely gentle with it, as you don't want to cause any scratches on the inside surface, you don't want to crack it, and you don't want to drop it... trust me on the "not dropping it" part lol.

great thanks alot. il clean it out when i get home so its ready for me to use this weekend. =)

hey peter I think foreveryoung had you covered there....bubbles in the cup is defo a clogged nozzle so this is defo your first port of call.....careful careful careful oh and also.....be careful, its so ready to flare out the tip of the nozzle as its do thin and also very soft metal....there is no right way to do this but trust me there is plenty of wrong ways....also createx although you shouldn't need to.....you should be able to....thin it quite a bit, so give the whole brush a clean, clean the nozzle and reduce your paint further......sere if that helps

Another reason for bubbles in the cup and inconsistent paint flow is that there is a small air leak in the head assembly. When you put your brush back together next time, apply some beeswax (can find it in the sewing section for quilting or in the bathroom section a nice wax bowl ring, which would last you for the next 4 or 5 generations) or lip balm (burts bees is good). Just apply that to the threads before putting your airbrush back together. It will make it nice and airtight. Don't use teflon tape. Repeated screwing and unscrewing with the teflon tape will damage the threads. It's meant to be put on once and left there.

I use createx black and to reduce tip dry , put 5 drops of water every 1 drop of paint , 10 when I wanto to do light layers

Best way to clean the nozzle is submerge it in airbrush cleaner that disolve the paint without introducing nothing in it

Last edited:
thanks guys. I cleaned the brush.. i made sure the needle was sitting right and tightned the head of the brush and it seemed to fix my problem. i think some of the dry paint from tip dry got back to the nozzle cause my needle was sitting to far back.

Back