Got an Airbrush, what all else do I need?

B

Broke

So I just got an airbrush and compressor for Christmas and I'm clueless where to go from here, hope everybody can help me figure out what I need to give me a good set of tools to get where I'm going.

I'm working with a Badger 155 with a Aspire TC908. I plan on painting on vinyl records, Bristol board and art papers maybe even canvas.

Please save me from buying a bunch of things I may not need, that will not work for me or not buying the things I will defiantly need. While I'm not trying to drop crazy amounts of cash I do want to make sure I have the essentials to make my transition from spray paint art to airbrushing more bareable.

So here's my questions...
Are there any add on's for my airbush I should checkout such as a smaller detail needles than the stock one?
Are there any basic stencils that are must haves to making work easier or extra tools needed?
Am I over thinking this and all I need is to pick a brand of paint I want to run with and just get to it?

Thanks for any advice in advanced I've just been overwhelmed with the amount of random information and accessories I've come across in my searches.

Im not familiar with the airbrush you have so I'll refrain from comments on that, the needel/nozzle size though is generaly set. The only "know brand" I know of where you can chence it is harder en steinbeck

As for stencils, yes there are some that make life easier and in general you can cut your own. the only one I can guarantee that will come in handy and can't be "hand cut" is one with circles. Other than that I''d just start airbrushing you'll find out soon enough what masks you'll need. A freehand mask will be one of them but you can make that yourself having it contain the shapes you need.

As for paint I replied to your post about that so will refer to that one (lazy typer :))

A nice thing to have is also a quickrelease where you can regulate your air pressure. there are a lot of other tools like electrical erasors etc but you'll first have to come to grips with the basics before they come into play

Hey broke, again I'm not familiar with that airbrush, so can't comment. I don't think you've mentioned what make and model of compressor you have, but that could be something you might want to upgrade.

As for stencils, IMO they are super expensive, and unless you are wanting to do multiple pics exactly the same - except for circles, and maybe some effects stencils such as grunge/distressed look etc, you probably won't need them. Particularly if as in your previous post you are hoping to sell original work, you won't want to be limited to a stencil, which even if you put your stamp on in the painting stage, would still be derivative. You would be much better making your own from some mylar sheets, or acetate etc for multiple use, and you can just use paper for one offs if necessary. When you get to grips with the airbrush you will probably just use hand held masks occasionally for hard edges anyway. You will find you start looking at household items very differently after a short time, it's surprising what can make a good effect from :)

Paints - as you are going to be multi surface, then I can recommend using Wicked paints which are suitable for practically any surface including fabric, are lightfast so don't fade, and whose colours pop nicely, and even more so when cleared. I use them for everything and love them. Another popular brand is E'tac, who also have an all round line, which is called private stock.

I agree with hassje about the quick release, not necessary, but I find very handy, for switching brushes, and when cleaning. and saves having to have crazy multi air valve set ups which can tend to leak, as you can just swap brushes over if you have more than one on the go.

The only other thing I think you should have is some airbrush restorer, for when you get some stubborn crud in the nozzle, and you need to soak it (beware of rubber seals). Paint cleaning pots are handy, stops the mess when flushing your gun, but don't buy one, just make your own out of old soda bottles etc.

All you NEED is compressor, gun, paint, good substrate, a way to keep it all clean, and some kind of stand or easel depending on how you like to paint.
What could come in very useful depending on the type of art you are doing - craft knife/scalpel, stencil making material, various erasers, masking fluid.
Luxury items could make life easier but not essential (IMO) - electrical eraser, projector.

This doesn't take into account anything like primers or tack rags etc for some hard surfaces.

Maybe the self confess 155 expert but have been using it for about 15 years now and feel its the only one I know well enough to maybe comment...yes to question one, you may want to stock to sets of each needle/knozzle setups..The stock needle is very robust (the first lasted me for 10 years then did two in a matter of days) but having an exposed head ya gotta be careful, concrete will still kill it so good to have a backup of the backups..Question two is Not really..Your surrounded by stencils or can make them easy enough when you've learnt the basics, dont though get into stencilling to early as some come to rely on it..Learn some freehand first then learn how to refine that freehand with stencils and shields...Question three-yes you are but thats exactly what you should be doing and it will be extremely overweahlming at the start, lots to learn but take each day as it comes and expect each to teach you a new lesson of what not to do, commented on paint in ya other thread :)

Same mistake all make, many overwhelm themselves, sometimes learning too much..Often when starting out its better to strip it down to its mst basic fundamentals, art is involved and learning a little about that also helps, but take one step at a time, master that step then move on and when you get to step 24,380..Your no doubt will be doing some awesome work :)...Best of luck

Lets see... whats in my airbrush/art kit...

Less expensive items
Paper Towels, Q-Tips (cotton buds), toothpicks, toothbrush, 91% ISP (Isopropyl Alcohol), Distilled Water, Spray Bottles, glycerin, Cardboard, Xacto knife, Razor Blades, lots of pencils, airbrush paints, stainless steel balls (to add to paint for shaking/mixing)...

More expensive items
99% anhydrous alcohol, airbrush restorer, ultrasonic cleaner, DLP projector, Gallaria Flow Improver, 32oz wicked reducer, easel, electric eraser, replacement parts for my airbrush (nozzles, needles, hose etc), frisket paper, Cricut, tracing table, breathing mask/ventalation fan/filters...

Im sure there's more, but thats the stuff off top of my head.

Last edited:
As your just starting out the five most important things are airbrush restorer,Good paint,reducer for that paint.being able to pull your airbrush apart and put it back together in working order,and a lot of practice!

Back