Gravel

O

Oddball

Hi Guys n Gals, I've done a search but nothing is coming up :(
What I'm looking for is an idea of how to paint realistic looking gravel for a foreground.
I'm looking for this kind of effect :-

images.jpg

Any one done this? Any thoughts?

The texture fx mask from artool might ave some time with the initial layer but if you want it realistic it will involve a lot of scribling after that as you will probably have to do each stone more or less individualy.

I did a couple of these textures.
-Lightly use the masx for the initial texture
-Scrible out shadows and stones (the paint from the mask can be used as a guide), don't go too dark yet.
-With an erasor patch up highlights and texture.
-If wanted add color with transparants
-Redo highlights
-add darkest shadows

You can also do this using a sponge dab technique, you can apply your darker background with what ever colour you want and then tear up an old sponge or even a tissue, dip this in in your premixed stone colour and simply randomly dab, you can do this in layers to give the effect of stones under and on top, have a little play around and be amazed at the effects you can create, although you can do a lot with your airbrush, some things can be done a lot quicker using other techniques.

Another way you could do this would be to lay down your stone colour first and then when it's dry throw on some cat litter and spray over it with your shadow colour and then shake it off, just make sure the litter is dry before returning it to the cat's box, lol

In both cases you can apply shadows to the the individual stones using a piece of torn card.

Thanks guys, both ideas are good :)
I just needed a prompt as I had a blank moment :(
Need to have a little play methinks!

Oh and may I suggest a smaller picture, this one is almost visible:whistling:;):)

spatter effect spray the paint on a exacto or razor blade so it ricochets off the tip. Another way is pull the trigger back without air 3 to 4 times then blast air. This also works good for making stars.

spatter effect spray the paint on a exacto or razor blade so it ricochets off the tip. Another way is pull the trigger back without air 3 to 4 times then blast air. This also works good for making stars.

I knew an Irish gunfighter once his name was Rick O'Shay:)

lol just found this on youtube Watch "Craig Fraser, Automotive Airbrushing, Cheap Trick…" on YouTube
Craig Fraser, Automotive Airbrushing, Cheap Trick…:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ive done it sort of with the sponge technique. Was just messing around and came up with this. You can add the coloring to fit what you want to do. This was a quick little mess around but you can kinda see how it looks with the sponge. Not the best but something to get the mind working on it.
http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/dirt-river-rock-effect.2699/
Yeah, I can visualize that and it's close to my idea :) Thanks @Visual Realm
@Strictly Attitude thanks but I'm not after that effect, The sponge thing may work for what I have in mind :)

Back