Gravity feed airbrush throwing paint to the back

C

calrytorres

Hi guys.

Im having a problem with my gravity feed airbrus because is throwing paint and air to the back where the trigger is. It gets paint and bbubles in the trigger area. Any help is very appreciated. Thank you

As mark said could be an issue with a seal, i was getting paint around the trigger of my neo for a while and realised i had lost the needle packing seal, i took one from one of my old knock off brushes and its now all good

Here some pics where the paint is going
d1cdb1342d1c398e74effc2a413eb9b5.jpg

038c53218b2b368e8d86dbc8f6f5a667.jpg

Here some pics where the paint is going
d1cdb1342d1c398e74effc2a413eb9b5.jpg

038c53218b2b368e8d86dbc8f6f5a667.jpg

Its a shame this has happened but to be honest this a cheap knock off brush and really not worth the trouble of trying to fix, this and indeed others problems are very common with these knock offs, the seals in these brushes are completely substandard rubber which are generally perished even before the brushes are even sold, I would write this one off and put it down to experience.

All is not lost, if you can't afford or simply don't wish to pay for a middle or top of the range brush there are safer alternatives for, you could choose to get yourself a Neo for Iwata which isn't actually made by Iwata but is still protected by their guarantee, or you could choose the Ultra from Harder and Steenbeck which also carries their guarantee, both of these brushes are very reasonably priced, but if you want quality at an entry level price you could go for the Iwata HP-CS which although a little pricier is very easy to maintain, you could also check out the badger range of brushes all of which very affordable indeed, whatever you do I highly recommend choosing only brand name brushes in the future, even if you can't yet afford one, simply save up until you can, also, when you are choosing a brush pay attention to the availability and prices of parts in your area/country so that know you can both afford them and not have to pay as much for shipping as you do for the parts.

Many beginners give up airbrushing altogether because of incidents like this and the frustration it causes, I hope you don't do that, I hate to see anyone fail before they even get started, what happened here is generally exclusive to these cheap brushes and decent brand name brush give you a lot less grief.

Can you tell me about a high end airbrush ? Which one is a good one . the one that most of the artist use? Just to have an idea about price

Can you tell me about a high end airbrush ? Which one is a good one . the one that most of the artist use? Just to have an idea about price

If you are going from a knockoff to a good brush, you'll see a huge difference. I will suggest something from the Iwata Eclipse line, as will most other people. I prefer the SBS side feed, but they have a gravity and siphon feed as well.

Prices will depend on where you are from. Eclipses start somewhere around $140, high end brushes(Micron) range anywhere from $400-$550.

i agree, Start with an Iwata Eclipse - different models ( gravity, siphon, side feed ) and needle sizes within that range that will suit what you need

Many still have the first Eclipse the bought. Good all round workhorse

Thanks I will take a look. O was airbrishing today and I noticed that if I keep the airbrush in an angle where the tip is lower that the gravity cup it works fine but if I use it in an angle where the tip is higher than the cup it start throwing the pain back to the trigger .lol it is crazy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I will take a look. O was airbrishing today and I noticed that if I keep the airbrush in an angle where the tip is lower that the gravity cup it works fine but if I use it in an angle where the tip is higher than the cup it start throwing the pain back to the trigger .lol it is crazy
That sounds like the packing seal is gone or loose letting paint run back into the back of the brush You can take the packing screw out with a small screwdriver and see if the seal/o-ring is there and get a replacement to fix it if its gone or damaged I don't know if an iwata packing will work but there 6.50 usd @ www.coastairbrush.com an5 min. to replace it take about 5 min.

Coincidently, I'm having the same problem though not as bad. Paint gets into trigger area and then causes it to stick in down position. I'm afraid to take it all apart because there is a spring in there and my track record with things that are spring loaded is that, once apart, never back together. But this thing has to be cleaned for continued use tho if solvent damaged seals is the issue, this brush will soon be ready for the scrap heap. What are my prospects for taking the trigger ass'y completely apart?

Back