Greetings from another dutchman

B

Bosstones

Hi, i'm Remco, 41 y old and became a member a few weeks ago, but haven't introduced myself yet.
i'm living in the Netherlands and been airbrushing a couple of weeks now.
Already learned a lot by reading this forum and still having a long long way to go....
Here's a skull i started today, the first layer is almost done i think...next layers will be added later, but that's still difficult for me and easy to mess up....
i've never drawn or airbrushed before....so any comments or advice is welcome!
A3, trident paint

cheers,
Remco

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Home Remco.
Looks like a great start on the skull and you can never go wrong with some skullage on your first post.
Lots of great information on here and look forward to seeing this skull progress into a finished piece of art.

welcome remco...... your home town is that a real place hahahah amerongen...... amer ... rongen..... am a wrong un!! thats what we call people in the u.k that you can not trust or who are a bit weird....... like seamonkey

Haha, yep it's a real townname.....oh boy....hopefully I will not be the guy known as 'wrong un' from now on.....sigh....on the other hand...a bit weird i can live with...haha
btw...my neighbour also became member recently and also living in amerongen....i suggest we call him wrong un.....right? :D

Haha, yep it's a real townname.....oh boy....hopefully I will not be the guy known as 'wrong un' from now on.....sigh....on the other hand...a bit weird i can live with...haha
btw...my neighbour also became member recently and also living in amerongen....i suggest we call him wrong un.....right? :D

if it works for you than it works for me.

yup lets get him!

Welcome Remco....your first skull look's a hell lot better then my first try....as many others i am almost sure off. Also i am sure you'll learn a lot and feel right at home on this forum.

And i think its already too late....think it will be wrong un from now on by a lot here....lol. The ball is thrown and it will take a while before done bouncing...haha.

Thanks, i also asked this on other forums, but one can never get to much info....
The next layers are the most difficult for me, that's where I most likely mess up things.
What would be the best next step?
I'm using trident paint, this layer is opaque, continue with a slightly darker opaque base color or better to use a transparent mix from now on?

Welcome to the forum Boss! if you have any questions please feel free to ask and we'll do our best to help! Enjoy your stay with us!

Thanks, i also asked this on other forums, but one can never get to much info....
The next layers are the most difficult for me, that's where I most likely mess up things.
I'm using trident paint, this layer is opaque, continue with a slightly darker opaque base color or better to use a transparent mix from now on?
best??? best is what you make it brother, there are no rules, trans colors wil allow a slow build up of hue which is a good thing, where as opaques you kind of know what the end colour is going to be (also a good thing) I use opaques normally but I reduce the beryl out if them, sometimes aging a bit of trans base so they are more like a semi opaque....it works for me....didn't meen to say it wil work for you though.....this is early days my brother and a smallish piece.....go wild....experiment....feel free to totally funk it up.....you can always do it again

Transparent is the best way to go from here. That allows you to slowly build your color and you can get a lot deeper look to the skull.
If you only had opaques than I would suggest over reducing it and build your color slowly that way.

Remember erase back for your highlight. and start building the darker points from here on out.

Thanks,

I'm using trident paint, reduced it and added transparent base. Trident is hard to erase, i also have golden paint, so the next one i'll try using that, it's easier to erase.
I messed up the part between the eyes, got spiders and instead of going back in with my opaque basecolor i made it darker. That didn't worked out to well, but hopefully i can get rid of that in the next darker layer.

Besides the lack of experience, my biggest problem is being patience and finding the correct distance with the airbrush I think.

I only used a mask for the dark area around the skull, my thought was to use stencils or masking in the last layer to get some sharper edges...or is it wise to start doing this already in the first layers?

i still need to finish the mouth area, and besides the part between the eyes, what else did I do wrong or do i need to keep an eye on?
Thanks for the feedback!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 11
You can use a shield / stencil at any point you think you need one. But if you are using it for you layout remember to spray a light dusting on , so when you go for you blend out is goes easier.
Trident should erase easy and it can be re-wetted . Unless you let it totally cure out.
Golden is a great paint too. I do look forward to seeing more from you. This piece still reads as a skull and before long you will master it.

Welcome aboard, you have a great start going there. I wouldn't have guessed you've had no experience painting or drawing before, not based on this. You have some great shading and detail already. Hell, you have some details that I hadn't noticed all skulls even had for the first year or so of painting them, lol.

As Mr Micron said, If you're ever worried about going forward, you can always make your paint just a half a shade darker and make it as 'transparent' as you feel comfortable( I will over-reduce like crazy if it's on paper or the like). That way if you can get to where a mis-spray won't show as much, you can then relax and just think about the artwork. Building values slowly was the hardest lesson for me to learn... It's a great habit to get into early on.

I think the second layer is finished, now on to the last layer.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 7
Back