Grey scale on black

steve1111

Needle-chuck Ninja
Hi everyone started my b/w on black substrate just wondering do all of you still use all your light grey s and slowly get darker as you would on white ?
Also I'm having trouble with my reference line bleeding through I thought they were nice and light but as soon as I threw some white down they stand out like dogs balls ? So do I use opaque s to get rid of them or just keep building up with trans ?
Thanks in advance everyone

Hmmmmmm now this is interesting way of working?.....normally if working on black I would just use white.....you can go real far with it'before reaching maximum opacity as the black really shows through.......don't quite know what or how you are trying to achieve what you are......maybe post your reference?

Yeah iv only used white and I've basically got the white to where I want it but my damn reference lines are still showing through I think if I keep going I will have a pure white board haha

Yep, this will take a couple of layers to "erase' your refrence lines. I'm not very long in AB but try an opak white. The surface will always shine through transparents and so your refrence lines will. If you do not want that hard contrast of opak white, reduce a little.

Theres no issue in using a grey scale but I'd still put my white layer down first, cut into that with a light and medium grey, re-establish the white highlights and then finish with a black trans for blending and clean up..You want to hit that white layer hard early, and its still usefull that your ref lines are showing up as there is another few layers to do anyway after the initial white..

Or ya can do it the quick way which is laying your original white layer with all the fades, blends and any texture in that first layer then just use a true transparent black (Not many of these seem to exist these days, they all seem to be making opaque blacks more so) This trans black will turn your very white shades grey, not a true grey like a grey scale would but prob more the method used if adding dyes or candys over the top..The other method is more for producing greyscale on black..

You don't always need to work from light to dark in airbrushing, especially with opaques..Most of my greyscale works starts off with a medium grey which I then work highlights into it with my light grey, then white highlights, then a charcoal then black..it creates the exact same result working from light to dark will..Best of luck..

I'm using transparent white

Yep, this will take a couple of layers to "erase' your refrence lines. I'm not very long in AB but try an opak white. The surface will always shine through transparents and so your refrence lines will. If you do not want that hard contrast of opak white, reduce a little.

Aside from what's been said already, if you are working on a black substrate and assuming your doing your' reference lines with a white pencil, if you don't want these lines to show in your finished piece, you should apply your lines with very little pressure, I would generally apply my lines by barely touching the surface, since they are normally only a guide, they should be such that you can just barely see them, also after doing your first layer of white, you should try to erase or blend them into your work, this would of course apply to black or colour over a white base also.

I ran into a similar problem on my aborted Reaper, I used a Stabilo yellow on the black base and I defeated myself with too much accuracy!
The next time I do this I will not outline the shapes (folds in this instance) but I will use the lines to indicate where the high lite is at its most opaque which will cover the lines.
Had I thought about it, it's obvious the the lightest fade will not cover the line! Dhoo :sus:
As @Madbrush says, just let the weight of the pencil draw the line, the faintest the better (you need less paint to cover it then .... (Obvious really ....Now!)

Well I used a lead pencil as I could see it on the black thinking because it's very dark it wouldn't show up once I did the white ! More fool me ! The pencil showed up like I drew it on white paper the damn thing lol anyway I flooded it with white trying to keep the shades I wanted to and extent now I'm going back in with trans black over reduced trying to get it back how I had it lol this is where I'm at at the moment uploadfromtaptalk1405061307810.jpg

@steve1111 , graphite will bleed through everything if there is enough of it on, get yourself a white wax free pencil for working on black, If I do colour stuff I have set of coloured watercolour pencils, I generally use colours closest to whatever I wan't to put on top, the general rule is make it as light as possible or make part of your work.

Having said that you can still save this, you should still be able to erase these lines away if your careful, you will probably have to reconstitute some areas but since the painting looks good from where I'm sitting, I think it's worth the extra work, and if you can retrieve, it's also good experience, lessons like this are ones you don't forget, lol

Yeah it's a lesson learnt but regardless of it I can fix it or not I will keep going and finish it will be good practice

i think i said either here or somewhere else..... sarral make a white trace down paper (white version of graphite paper) for working on black.....like £12 for 25m

Thanks fez will have to invest in some is that about $30 Aussie ? Bloody poms ;-) sorry mate jus kidding

I don't like the Saral paper, it's not waxy but can cause issues if the lines are too thick. Also anytime you spray paint over something that isnt paint, you are creating a barrier between the surface and your paint and risk adhesion issues. Great for pinstriping though. I mostly paint on dark surfaces and use white. Just use a white stabilo or some chalk if the surface isn't a hard surface. You lightly trace over all your lines then wipe off the lines with a degreaser. Now if you are using water based, then you would have to blow the chalk off or wipe it off without a liquid obviously.Whatever you use make sure the pencil isn't grease based. I also use the paper stencil method to lay everything out on a dark surface.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

grease based pencil..... like a pencil made from chips/fries/fat/lard heheh

saral works fine for me just working on illustration board

If no clear then yes probably work, but if using a clearcoat I've had it lift up and come through the airbrush work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back