Grisaille Technique

P

paulreed

Does the Grisaille Technique work with airbrush paints/art? (Laying down the darker areas/shadows first) I've read, or heard, over and over that you work from light to dark with an airbrush ... however, when I watch some one airbrush real fire, they are laying down the darker colors first, then the lighter colors, and ending with the highlights.

T

Tigertron

For me it depends on the color of the background. On black I lay down highlights and leave shadows. Then work in shadows finally putting in highlights.

With white background I put in shadows and try to preserve highlights. With color portraits or similar I pick a mid tone first then come back and push back the darkest shadows with a shaded mid tone. Finally erasing, scratching or painting in highlights.

P

paulreed

Ah... I see. Everything changes everything. Have to think about what you want and go with your gut. Thanks

U

ulltraz

depends on the job,when there is a lot of detail is better to work light to dark,why becasue there are some tricky details,small stuff,that for a pencil are nothing but are a lot of work for an airbrush.but you can start really dark lets say a background or a main part that doesn´t requieres detailing.