GRRR to dark! (Rookie)

B

buttflyzzz

So I am at a loss. I cannot figure out how to shade without the picture getting all muddled. I try to brighten it up with color then shade the edges and lines with trans black and end up losing the detail lines. I re-do the lines but it just keeps getting darker and darker. (rookie) I way over reduce even with the trans black and I do my line with op black still ends up being mush. Any Opinions for a newbie?

First post up that pic, It is easier to help when I can see what you are talking about.
Next never use black to shade. black even trans black goes too dark to fast.
Best way to shade a color is to make a darker shade of that color. So let's say you are using blue and the mid tone of your picture you would than mix a darker blue (add Violet/purple) to make a darker shade , Or you could add a little of the trans black to the blue for the darkest of areas.
Hope that makes sense.

BF, just what he said works great, look at my Vikings project, I did what he suggested, and it really does work. Also, watch the skin tone video, you can use that and apply it to all of your colors, I think that learning how to mix your paints is just as important as learning how to fade or paint a straight line. It does take some practice and wasted paint, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be surprised how much of a difference it makes.

Dylan

Also, sometime, you'll think that your mix doesn't look quit right, but once you spray it youll find it's the right shade. So like the video skin tons says, do some practice sprays with your mixes.

Dylan

They hit it on the head, black is almost never used alone. Even when I'm doing something black and white, I mix a little black at a time into my white to get darker tones. Rarely do ever put straight black into my airbrush.(except for practice exercises)

Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys, I think I am maybe trying to shade like I do when I draw and it seems as though I need to rethink my approach.

doesn't mater if you are spraying black on white or white on black, the trick is to let your picture take its shape, as a newbie (which I am also) we can be to eager to sling paint at a canvas and and then call it a finished piece, I have now developed a little more patience and a black and white portrait may take more than 7 layers of paint before I get anywhere near black.as mentioned above by properlystained I start with a cup of white, then add 2 drop of black, put on detail, then shade.....a couple more black, detail and highlights again and then shade, couple more drops of black, detail and shade.....so on and so on each time working the picture as if it was your final shade.....does this make any sense at all?

It really does make sense. I did another picture and started with the mid color and went to darker. I still screwed it up (gotta learn to do eyes) but I do see improvement. Not all that great but I am trying to push myself. Also my first time trying hair. Thanks guys... I'll get this!
189411_512705532077260_1842133008_n.jpg

thats more like it,! right next time, if you are spraying black on white, start with complete cup of white with just 1 drop of black, just do the footprint of the piece with this colour then roughly put position of eyes and mouth etc.then in same cup add just 2 more drops max then work the whole piece light to dark.then so on and so on, either painting with a little white or erasing to bring out highlights after every layer.I think on something like a black and grey portrait, even as a beginner you could do like 7 layers like this, probably the darkest you go though is maybe 75% black -25 white.give it a go see if it makes a difference for you on a free hand piece.good luck!

I'm having the same problems with my patience, I'm always going to dark to fast.
I'm going to try that 7 layer tip on my next try.

Dnt be afrid to use trans black, just reduce it quite heavily and build up a bit slower..(Mentioned already I think)..By over reducing it it more tints a previous color rather than looking black, unless you continually build on it, though some prefer not to use it at all, that really depends on the artwork though..I wldn't dream of using a trans black say in a human portrait, but in animal portraits it can be quite useful..Taking your time and shooting it on much lighter might be the key if you like to use it..

would'nt the transparent base blended with black do the same thing?

Back