For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Grumpy kitty (fur step by step)

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by haasje dutchairbrush, Dec 15, 2014.

1. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Is there any interest/need for a step by step on the ear part of can I get away with saying repeat what was done on the face but make it look like an ear :p
  2. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

I'm afraid that just won't do unless you want me to produce a tail:confused::)
    JackEb likes this.
  3. haasje dutchairbrush

o_O A mutated cat! I can live with that :p
  4. Heliotropic

Heliotropic Needle-chuck Ninja

Interest? Absolutely! Need? Uh... maybe. I get the gist of creating the fur. The thing I could use the most are any tips/tricks on doing the fine hairs off the tip of the ear. I'd probably have to resort to using colored pencils for that.
    haasje dutchairbrush likes this.
  5. haasje dutchairbrush

Edit, posted the next steps as a reply by accident. Moved this post to page 1 to keep a continuous step by step
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Madbrush and Squishy like this.
  6. haasje dutchairbrush

As you can see in the step by step above on the left side it's mainly erasors that make up the detail. The other side will mainly be done with paint though.

You could cut out a couple of thin lines from paper or masking foil and use that as a mask if you have problems with doing a lot of thight lines
  7. haasje dutchairbrush

Updated the step by step with the last part (so it should be more or less complete now :p).

I hope it is all a bit clear but if there are any questions don't hesitate to ask :thumbsup:
  8. Heliotropic

Heliotropic Needle-chuck Ninja

Perfect tutorial. Thank you so much for taking the time to do such a detailed step-by-step.
  9. sevastra

sevastra Needle-chuck Ninja

Thanks so good! i love you and hate you!!! Do you ever have a problem with the carbon paper, or the pencil marks from a rough sketch out coming through the paint, like a shiny-ness to them, you can see the lines at different angles? I noticed my marks are about as light as yours and it drives me insane, im not sure what i am doing wrong.

friggin Beautiful.
  10. haasje dutchairbrush

If you are having problems with that try using a light colored water color pencil (I used to use either light grey or a light brown a lot). As we apply moisture while airbrushing these lines will just disolve.

I'm now using "normal" pencils most of the time though. The way I work I know I'll put down all the information I need in the 1st layer. As that is generaly followed by a layer of erasing I just make sure I remove all pencil lines during that phase (especialy in the light area's)
    sevastra likes this.
  11. sevastra

sevastra Needle-chuck Ninja

That's a good idea, thanks alot...i don't know why i never thought of using watercolor pencils...

In the light areas with normal pencils, or even carbon paper, if you have a first layer of paint over the lines, will they come up? Mine seem to be planted like cement...I know someone told me to erase them even more, and i have, but maybe my carbon paper is "government" carbon paper, and super defiant.
  12. haasje dutchairbrush

I won't say never as there must have been a reason I switched to watercolor pencils at some point :p, as I did a lot of experimenting when I started I'm not sure why anymore. I'm not having that problem at the moment though neither with pencils or on the rare occasions I use carbon paper (I use pretty light lines though and apply hardly anypressure on my pencil when putting the lines down, its a scetch not a drawing).

I do completely remove my pencil lines in the lighter area's (not just fade them a bit). If I did my 1st layer correctly I don't need them anymore after the first layer.
    Anneliesje and sevastra like this.
  13. kelonio

kelonio Young Tutorling

Hi Haasje,,,do your maping gray is trasparent or opaque?,,,,do you use several tones of gray?...thanks and great job
  14. haasje dutchairbrush

@kelonio When mapping my painting (so layer 1) I either use sepia, grey or burnt umber. Which of those will depend on the colors that will be used after it. As all subsequent layers in general will be transparant with me I need to keep in mind they will "mix" with this layer.

I don't mix up serveral tones of the 1st layer color, all gradation is done by adding more or less paint.

As for transparant or opaque that won't matter, as it's the 1st layer and its on a white background opaque's and transparants will behave more or less the same. In this case it was transparant (sepia smoke from E'tac) though.
  15. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Thank you so much @haasje dutchairbrush for taking the time to do this and all the other step by steps that you do. I bookmark all these wonderful threads. One day i'll get around to using them, but if I don't bookmark it i'll lose it.

I couldn't tell you why but I prefer yours to your actual reference, it feels somehow warmer and it has a life to it : )
  16. IPT

IPT Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

What?! That's insane, awesome. Thanks for posting/writing this up!