Guitar painting

Yeah what is it with these spray guns and airbrushes. I think it's becoming a shopping addiction lol. HF always has sales and I have 20% off coupons so that's like $30 for the 4oz.

Wow nada that's some pretty cool experience there! I do some wood working but just cutting boards and such for Christmas gifts. Love it but too impatient to build an instrument.
So you think $275 is expensive? It's a $600 guitar and I'm doing the back of a neck of another one in the deal too. Seemed like a fair price for my time since I have to tape off parts.
No i think your price is fair.

So @Nada if you've done all this guitar work have you ever had to paint an acoustic? Client asked me about airbrushing his acoustic a little around the sound hole. My experience with instruments is that you never put paint on the wood as it changes the sound quality. Is that true or have I just never come across many painted acoustics
You would be correct in painting an acoustic can be problematic. I personally wont paint on an acoustic. I have refinished an acoustic guitar before but that was done with oils and not paint.

Yeah what is it with these spray guns and airbrushes. I think it's becoming a shopping addiction lol. HF always has sales and I have 20% off coupons so that's like $30 for the 4oz.

Wow nada that's some pretty cool experience there! I do some wood working but just cutting boards and such for Christmas gifts. Love it but too impatient to build an instrument.
So you think $275 is expensive? It's a $600 guitar and I'm doing the back of a neck of another one in the deal too. Seemed like a fair price for my time since I have to tape off parts.
As for experience i am a fix it guy. I attribute that to learning about tools at an early age.
I grew up in chicago. My father was an instructor for a woodworking shop at a city park. My grandfather was the instructor for the city boat building shop. So at 10 years old i was expected to handle lumber etc. Part of the summer jobs for my dad was design and prep projects for kids. I was good slave labor. The kids couldnt use the dangerous power tools. I could. So i used to cut out stuff on bandsaws, jigsaws, table saws etc... damn i wish i had a shop space. There is easily 20K worth of power tools rusting away at my dads old house. He passed a couple years ago. My younger brother and his wife live there. We actually never settled the estate. But thats a long long story.

You might want to look into renting a smallish workspace?
Someplace for the 2 of you to go play in?
Surely there must be someplace local, that's just crying out for noise, sawdust and spraypaint?

You might want to look into renting a smallish workspace?
Someplace for the 2 of you to go play in?
Surely there must be someplace local, that's just crying out for noise, sawdust and spraypaint?
His house Is almost 100 miles from here. besides if I started woodworking again I would never get to airbrush. My skills are certainly rusty. I dabble Iin a lot of things. Drives @AcrylicAlli crazy. Because it dont matter to me if I have done it before or not, if I want to do something I just do it.

Ask her how long a college grad takes to put up a tent.... there is a story there.. I am not college educated.

:whistling:one time... In frustration... After setting up camp on July 4th weekend, I spouted off because, well, I'm a girl and don't like being told what to do... That was seven years ago and he's never forgotten it.

that's ok, ask @Nada about when he quit dating pretty girls when he met me...

for the record I don't mind his obsessions that change sometimes. I just try to keep the mess contained...

That's a part time job in itself. I swear, I spend more time cleaning up other people's crap than I do working in my garage lol. Nobody puts anything away

So I got finally got my paint for the guitar project and sprayed a sample. It turned out great and the photos don't do it justice at all. The client loves it and the color is amazing

8053b13f7af4327e3d4f0a08e581f2db.jpg

cbdddeaffd0677a9a4c713e2d17d5292.jpg

a3c9425ae672be490cf91041a4ba97b3.jpg

The idea was to make it appear black till light reflected and you see the red. Wasn't sure how to go about this till I found a photo of a bike tank someone did and emailed him. He gave me his process and I followed
First applied wicked black on top of clear, then more clear and a silver metal flake. On top of that I used house of color kandy koncentrate and intercostal clear and just like magic I had the effect. I love the HOK candy and found it easy to use. It almost glows when light hits it on the silver flake. But like I said the photos don't show how amazing the effect is

Back