Gun advice - SATAjet???

S

shenanigans

Hi there. Hope this is the right thread. I'm a fine artist and don't have any experience with airbrush, though I'm looking to start using it. What I need right now, however, is a tool that is something between an airbrush pen and a paint gun of the sort you would use for car painting. Essentially, I need something that gives me the kind of coverage I might be able to get from a spray can (which I have mostly been using until now), but not as much as I'd get from an auto gun. A guy at the auto paint dealership I shop at recommended a SATAjet gun. He said it can give spray can-style coverage but can also shrink right down to a fine line, like an airbrush pen. However, there seem to be a few guns by SATA called SATAjet (they're also really expensive). Can anyone recommend a gun that might be appropriate, whether SATA or some other brand? Also, I have a 60 gallon compressor which I am currently using to spray primer, auto paint and clear coat. Would I need a smaller compressor or could I use my 60 Gallon Husky? In case you're wondering, my work is styrofoam melted with solvents and then treated with resin to create contrasts between the "melted" areas and the flat surfaces. I need something that can get right into those fiddly melted crevices!

Any suggestions very welcome
Brendan

need ophoto 4.JPGphoto 4.JPG photo copy.JPG FullSizeRender-2.jpg photo 4.JPG photo copy.JPG FullSizeRender-2.jpg photo copy.JPG FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Looking at the size of the piece you are working on, (they look large) I'd suggest a .8 HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) spray gun (brand not important). It will run off your current compressor with the psi set to the correct pressure for the gun / paint you are using.
Over spray will need to be controlled either by lowering the pressure or masking off what you already have.

It would have been nice if you had taken the time to do a proper intro first, we like polite people here. We like to know where you're located on the globe so we can better assist in our answers in your location (different brands/products in different countries)
http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

I personally have a set-up that is for bigger painting and prefer to have 2 options..You can buy small HVLP top feed guns pretty cheap, essentially this would be the basing need and doesn't really have to be anything too special..mine cost about $30 brand new from a cheap auto store...on top i'd suggest a Badger Anthem..This would be the main brush for fades and details as it can do both well. It has one of the largest spray coverage's, some brushes feature fan nozzles as options but that does involve stopping and changing tips, the advantage of the anthem is that you can do very fine detail right through to course heavy sprays without changing nothing and its a siphon feed which basically means you can carry as much paint as you'll need for large area's...but it is a harder gun to learn as it does go from fine to omg in a mm or few on a pull, and requires good muscle/trigger control...good luck :)

PS Nice work and.
PSS The above setup would cost around $140-$200 pending on the deal you find.

Thanks for your advice. @JackEb, I'm in the US - Las Vegas. As I stated at the beginning of my post, I wasn't sure if this was the right thread but I read your forum rules and saw nothing telling me I shouldn't post here. However, can I suggest that bitchy passive aggressiveness is not a quality usually associated with the "politeness" you so esteem.

Thanks for your advice. @JackEb, I'm in the US - Las Vegas. As I stated at the beginning of my post, I wasn't sure if this was the right thread but I read your forum rules and saw nothing telling me I shouldn't post here. However, can I suggest that bitchy passive aggressiveness is not a quality usually associated with the "politeness" you so esteem.
lol "bitchy passive aggressiveness " !? well, that put me back in my box didnt it !! Ive never been accused of that before, I have however, been accused of being sarcastic :D

Making an introduction isn't a 'rule' its just a courtesy so that we may better assist you. a courtesy which you are apparently not familiar with

I will assume that you got out of bed on the wrong side today because all I was suggesting was that you do a proper introduction (DEF: formally making yourself known to another or to the public) so that we may better assist you. Making an introduction isn't a 'rule' its just a courtesy so that we may better assist you. a courtesy which you are apparently not familiar with. If you choose to not participate fully in the forum then that is up to you.
introduce yourself or not, I care not.

lol "bitchy passive aggressiveness " !? well, that put me back in my box didnt it !! Ive never been accused of that before, I have however, been accused of being sarcastic :D

Making an introduction isn't a 'rule' its just a courtesy so that we may better assist you. a courtesy which you are apparently not familiar with

I will assume that you got out of bed on the wrong side today because all I was suggesting was that you do a proper introduction (DEF: formally making yourself known to another or to the public) so that we may better assist you. Making an introduction isn't a 'rule' its just a courtesy so that we may better assist you. a courtesy which you are apparently not familiar with. If you choose to not participate fully in the forum then that is up to you.
introduce yourself or not, I care not.

"It would have been nice if you had taken the time to do a proper intro first, we like polite people here." Even allowing for the lack of nuance in online communication, I think that statement rates as bitchy passive aggression in anyone's language. Yep, I'm new here. I didn't know I was supposed to "introduce" myself other than to say hi. That's because I'm new. There's nothing wrong with my mood and everything wrong with your manners.

As your new here ,I'll be the pita and tell you not to be rude to the members on here we are all here to help not hurt people's feeling if you feel that's the way to treat people trying to help you don't have to stay here ,As I said and Jackie said to we are here to help people enough to said.

Peace be still... we get a lot of people who turn up and start asking - without a good introduction (as requested by JackEB and in the start up) it gets pretty awkward... Hard to give advice to some one in Vegas when you think they are in the UK. So let me help you out... to avoid us all calling "stranger danger" go to the intro pages and give yourself a good intro there. http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

Have a read of the nettiquette page as well - tells you a bit about us. http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/introducing-netiquette.8799/

We look forward to seeing your happy smilley posts... :)

Hi Brendan, just to make things clear, an intro is requested in our netiquette page. Though it isn't a rule as such, ALL new members are asked, usually by whoever sees a post first to pop to the intro section, just in case they didnt see the netiquette page. Especially those with questions as it can help members answer those questions more specifically and also give more localised advise re equipment etc.

We do not call each other names here, as you will see if you look around, and find words such as 'bitchy' are uncalled for. We are a group happy to share knowledge, expertise, experiences and friendship. I hope you choose to be part of that. Making an intro will allow members to welcome you, you can link this thread there and also mention your questions in the intro which will increase the numbers that will see it, and hopefully give you the advice you need.

Wow!!! Didn't see that coming.
Yup - this is a good example of what passive aggressive really is... turn up - ask question, get good advice, asked to assist, get offended, not post anymore and lurk quietly in the background! Oh well... their choice... :)

Back