Gun not working correctly.

T

Teraurel

Hello all. I've decided to take everyones advice and get the Badger 105 from Michael's however while I wait to get the money for it I decided to start practicing using the Veda 132E that I have. The problem is I dont think it works correctly or i already managed on the first use to mess it up. When I used it the paint would come out and then stop and it would also have different thicknesses during this process. Then I tried it again to day (my first attempt was 5 days ago) and now barely any paint comes out at all. Should I take it apart and clean it or just give up and wait to get the badger?

Clean it. You've got nothing to lose and you may learn something. Pay attention to the orientation of the parts. Don't over tighten the tiny nozzle. Don't get thinner in the air valve. When you get it back together, try plain water to see if it works. Then practice with something thin like ink or food colors before trying paint again.

Don

Acrylics. 15-20psi (i believe) and im just guessing. If anything the paints to thin. Real watery but I don't know what to go by. Every time I go to a site to look up how to thin it, its different. I.e the sites have varying measurements to use.

Acrylics. 15-20psi (i believe) and im just guessing. If anything the paints to thin. Real watery but I don't know what to go by. Every time I go to a site to look up how to thin it, its different. I.e the sites have varying measurements to use.

That's the "beauty" of this art form, all these issues are relevant to you and differ (slightly) from the experiences of others.
Situations in which varying measurements are affected can be a result of many different variables. Barometric pressure, air temperature, relative humidity, brand/type of paint, use of a moisture filter / pressure regulator, brand/type of compressor (air flow rate & horsepower), etc... It is my limited experience that ALL these things can adversely affect the manner in which your paint will flow, or not flow, through your brush's nozzle/tip.
Experience will be your best source of information. Use the recipes of others as a guideline, or starting point for your own experiments and testing.
I make my own reducer for water based, acrylic paints. As a beginner I mostly use Createx because it is less expensive than many brands available and I knew I would be "wasting" a lot of paint as a beginner. My reducer consists of distilled water (nearly no dissolved minerals) and over the counter glycerine. Standard ratio which works for me is 3 parts distilled water to 1 part glycerine. With my Createx opaque white this ratio is combined at 2 parts distilled water to 1 part glycerine because my experience is that Createx white dries much more quickly to my needle tip than other Createx colors.
I do hope this helps you to hone your skills in chemistry on the airbrushing set.
The best part is that you now have another reason to go back and try something new while having a great time with your airbrush.

Back