Gun Spitting and Spattering Paint

G

Greg Little

I treated myself and for Christmas I purchased a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity; the Meinrad Froschin edition. The Meinrad Froschin edition is bottle siphon feed. I also optioned to get Harder & Steenbeck #4 needle/nozzel set for the gun. However, it`s maiden outing was disappointing, to say the least. The gun did not lay down a nice even consistent spray pattern. The gun spit and spattered the color media. It was as if the paint was pulsating from the nozzle in short burst instead of an even smooth stream. etNow let me say I was shooting Alclad II lacquer. And anyone who has used Alclad II products know the is specifically formulated for airbrush use. I not just thin it VERY thin. So, I'm certain the Alclad II lacquer doesn't need thinning. As a point of reference; for years I`ve run Alclad I & Alclad II products in my Grex XSi and Badger Crescendo 175 straight out of the bottle without one hiccups. I even made adjustments to the air supply...going from 17 psi to 11 psi and got the same results. Now, the guns is fresh out of the box (as I stated in the beginning this way it`s maiden outing) so it couldn't be clogged I though; but I went ahead disassembled it; cleaned it and tried shooting with it once more only to got the same results.

Any ideas or suggestions to resolving this issue are welcome.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry don't know the gun but know siphons well...Pump up the pressure bud...You need extreme reductions to get that low pressure on a siphon and many cant handle it at all and the venturi breaks down so basically the airbrush engine stops..and it goes bler,bler, cough, splutter, bler, bler..

Siphons are designed to run from about 30 PSI and Higher, especially on heavy paint..IE not as reduced..If you want to go that low you will really have to fiddle to get a siphon performing that well at low pressures and few I see can do it..the anthem can but on that brush I couldnt tell you if your just wasting your time trying...Run about 30 to start and work your pressure up from there, not down until you find that happy spot..good luck.

Not sure about the brush or product your using but i was always led to believe that a siphon feed brush would need a higher psi, try upping it to approx 25/30 see how that goes, also some brushes are tested and could still need a clean when new, for the sake of a cleaning itll be worth it to see if it helps

I followed your advise. I stepped the psi up to 30. Not to waist paint or time with gun cleanup I filled the paint pot with water and began test spraying. It does appear that the brush is spraying more consistently...at least the spitting and spray pulsating from the nozzle in short burst has drastically diminished. And, its giving me a more consistent and even spray pattern. I`ll tinker with the air pressure a bit more later today and finely tune things. My Grex XSi (which is my primary go to brush) is gravity feed and performers well at lower psi; between 15 and 17 psi. Didn't realize the siphon brushes need more psi.
Thanks one and all for the advice.

I followed your advise. I stepped the psi up to 30. Not to waist paint or time with gun cleanup I filled the paint pot with water and began test spraying. It does appear that the brush is spraying more consistently...at least the spitting and spray pulsating from the nozzle in short burst has drastically diminished. And, its giving me a more consistent and even spray pattern. I`ll tinker with the air pressure a bit more later today and finely tune things. My Grex XSi (which is my primary go to brush) is gravity feed and performers well at lower psi; between 15 and 17 psi. Didn't realize the siphon brushes need more psi.
Thanks one and all for the advice.
Yea it needs more PSI to suck the paint up from the bottle were as a gravity feed, well works with gravity lol

Back