Gutted

beginner-James

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Yep I'm gutted I've ordered Transparent paint especially for the Paintpal project however the supplier is holding my extra colours needed for the project on hold until the 8th August as they are waiting for one item that is out of stock.

I use golden high flow acrylic paint but in my wisdom ordered their Transparent. so my Paintpal is on hold until 10th-12th August what would you do. the two colours I need is yellow & Blue ??

the project is all mapped out with some paint on it I'm so frustrated I just want to get on with it I had cleared my hole weekend just to make a really good start.
By the way this will be my first completed airbrush painting as the leopard I'm painting is proving hard to paint than I had first thought. But it doesn't help I keep watching Video's and practicing the technics required for the next step and so on. By the way I'm loving the clay board so so forgiving as to erasing.
Beginner-James

Clay board rocks! I know the frustration of having to wait. I've got a project on I couldn't work on as I was out of town! Hopefully tomorrow.

That’s a pain, but it still gives you plenty of time to get the PP done. It’ll be fine Buddy, just relax and let the paint flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be fine you have until the 1st of September to get it in the mail so that still leaves plenty of time.
Golden also make a transparent base you could use to make your opaque a transparent.

Herb is this the product your talking about
AG3530236.JPG

Hay it's just dawned on me.
As I haven't used Transparent base on my Tritium White the painting I did yesterday isn't transparent colour is it ??

so I may as well carry on using golden high flow acrylic paint on the back ground which means I can crack on this afternoon yippy lol

I will wait until a wise soul confirms this
Beginner-James

Hay it's just dawned on me.
As I haven't used Transparent base on my Tritium White the painting I did yesterday isn't transparent colour is it ??

so I may as well carry on using golden high flow acrylic paint on the back ground which means I can crack on this afternoon yippy lol

I will wait until a wise soul confirms this
Beginner-James

There is no harm at all in using opaques, in fact it isn't compulsory at all to use transparent colours anywhere in your paintings, I use transparent mainly so I can build my colours up real slow but transparents are also used to achieve colour shifts when sprayed over a different colour underneath, for example, I use this method when doing eyes or anything that's too small to mix a batch of colour for so if I want a green eye I will do the eye with yellow then go over it with a reduced blue until I get to the green I want, if I go too far I can spray more yellow, but to be doing this you have to have a reasonable idea of what shift is actually going to happen, if I'm painting a tiger I do the whole tiger in monotone using burnt umber, to get the reddish brown I mix orange and spray that over the umber shading I've already done, the orange takes on the umber and I have a shift to the typical reddish brown the tiger has.

Bear in mind when you add white to a transparent colour it will become opaque anyway, also, it pays to be aware of the shifs that happen that you might not want, like yellow sprayed over black will result in a green shift, white over black will give a blue shift and red over black causes a lilac/purple shift, this is due to the higher volume of blue which is present in the black since the black is made up of all the CYMK colours, for this reason I avoid using white at all, it's also the reason I use umber instead of black, I'll only use black at the end if a painting when I no longer have to fear an unwanted shift.

Also, when you reduce your colours they become semi opaque, meaning you need more layers to achieve full opacity, but sometimes full opacity isn't what we need.

Thank you Malky I under stand what you mean 100% so I'm going to crack on
again I'm in you debt my friend how is your snake coming along ?
practice today is going to be black foamboard and grey paint (smoke) as I need to practice some spraying with stencils in my hand (soft) as well as hard lines.
Beginner-James

Thank you Malky I under stand what you mean 100% so I'm going to crack on
again I'm in you debt my friend how is your snake coming along ?
practice today is going to be black foamboard and grey paint (smoke) as I need to practice some spraying with stencils in my hand (soft) as well as hard lines.
Beginner-James

You're never in debt here, we are all here to help each other and I'm sure you will discover that you also have knowledge some us might not know, then you can share it;)

I put the snake on hold until I get my paint pal done, but I'll be re-doing it a little bigger on clay board, I started it A4 which is a little too small for the amount of detail there is in it, my brush still acts up now and again so I don't trust it for fine detail on smaller work, my paint pal is going to take quite a while because of it.

Last edited:
51GmHxovSdL._SL1000_.jpg
I was just about to order this item when Amazon informed me that I had ordered this item in June so I looked at my order and what arrived from Jackson's. I also ordered this item from Jackson's and they are the same #3537-4 how ever the label says High Flow Medium I have two bottles lol
so if you need a image of what I received (twice) I will upload later

Beginner-James

I was just about to order this item when Amazon informed me that I had ordered this item in June so I looked at my order and what arrived from Jackson's. I also ordered this item from Jackson's and they are the same #3537-4 how ever the label says High Flow Medium I have two bottles lol
so if you need a image of what I received (twice) I will upload later

Beginner-James

Nice of them to advise you that you'd already ordered it, but you're not alone on the double ordering because you've forgotten you've already ordered it... For some reason I have 3 bottles of Paynes Grey . . . just as well its a useful colour lol

I have a excuse! I'm well past the 6th decade and hit my fourth childhood. Don't worry though, as long as you can still count to 10 and know what an airbrush is, your fine.

Nice of them to advise you that you'd already ordered it, but you're not alone on the double ordering because you've forgotten you've already ordered it... For some reason I have 3 bottles of Paynes Grey . . . just as well its a useful colour lol

Can I ask why Payne's Grey is a useful colour? Is it similar to (ie: a darker version of), Smoke (Com-Art)?

Back