H&S ultra 2 n 1

pete b

Young Tutorling
been looking around the site and seams like nobody is using the ultra . Im new to this and have no brush yet so im looking for a brush so i can start painting Bass fishing lures. Any help would be great . Thanks

There are some that use the H&S brushes, it’s just that Iwata is readily available globally so spares are easy to get hold of so it more it makes it more ‘common’
Mr.Hobby are starting to become popular, and a pocket friendly price tag
I think @jord001 is up to speed with the mr hobby brushes

While H&S makes a great brush I have had a lot of issues with the nozzles cracking after very little usage . Mainly the .15 and .20 sized ones.
I even did a test I ran the paint through my .18 Micron first they with a new nozzle in the H&S poured the paint from the Micron into the H&S to have it crack the nozzle after just spraying it for a couple of second.
If you want to paint fishing lure I would suggest this one.https://spraygunner.com/gsi-creos-mr-airbrush-procon-boy-ps-270-0-2mm-platinum/
it will handles an lure you want to paint and parts for it are a lot more affordable .
For a compressor I suggest getting one with a tank , The studio compressor build heat and moisture and only actually run at about 15 PSI with air on.

I don't own a H&S so cant comment on them but have used the 0.15 needles which were soft ((apparently they have now been replaced by better quality ones) the Mr Hobby/Creos/Procon Boy range is affordable and are Good quality airbrushes. Like Mr.Micron suggested the PS 270 is good also the PS267 which also has a 0.2 or even the PS 274 which has a 0.3 setup difference between the 270 and the 267 is that the 270 has a built in mac valve.

For a real budget airbrush I would say the Sparmax max3 or max4 which are also very good quality I have an SP35 They also have cheap spares and are available from spraygunner

Also second a compressor with a bottle.

been looking around the site and seams like nobody is using the ultra . Im new to this and have no brush yet so im looking for a brush so i can start painting Bass fishing lures. Any help would be great . Thanks

I use the Infinity CR Plus, which uses similar nozzles. Again your choice of airbrush is going to depend on the medium that you want to use in it. I don’t know what medium is typically used for painting fishing lures, but lacquers or enamels would be my first guess. In those applications, I’d recommend brushes which make use of Teflon or similar solvent resistant seals and don’t have a fluid nozzle bore less than 0.3 mm in order to properly handle thicker mediums. The Ultra can be bought with a 0.4 mm head and will work very well in that application.

The Harder and Steenbeck airbrush line are excellent quality, though are not quite as reliable as the Iwata Hi Performance or Custom Micron lines. Iwata brushes are far more ubiquitous, and you can usually find them and spare parts at most art stores or hobby shops. But online retailers like Spraygunner can get you whatever you need.

All parts available for all HS and Creos airbrushes at spraygunner.com
If it's out of stock (temporarily) but you need it like here and now, our brave customer support team will tear apart the same airbrush and pull out the part you need (truth, done MULTIPLE times, I can tell by the number of airbrushes on a service desk with a sticker "missing that"). Everybody had some supply chain issues in 2020 so we had to strip a lot of brushes.

Speaking of HS: in general, I agree about Ultra. Probably PS289 or PS270 will serve you better. But when it comes to Infinity, I'm a big fan of their universal design. Super easy to disassemble and clean, no chance to break nozzle when assembled/disassembled since no wrench needed, up to 50ml cup can be installed and up to 0.6mm nozzle. And with Infinity FIne Line air cap, 0.4mm serves as a "detail" nozzle and allows pretty amazing details which simply impossible with other 0.35-0.4mm airbrushes.

Back