For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

H&S ultra 2 n 1

Discussion in 'Airbrushes' started by pete b, Jan 10, 2021.

1. pete b

pete b Young Tutorling

been looking around the site and seams like nobody is using the ultra . Im new to this and have no brush yet so im looking for a brush so i can start painting Bass fishing lures. Any help would be great . Thanks
    jord001 likes this.
  2. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

There are some that use the H&S brushes, it’s just that Iwata is readily available globally so spares are easy to get hold of so it more it makes it more ‘common’
    Mr.Hobby are starting to become popular, and a pocket friendly price tag
    I think @jord001 is up to speed with the mr hobby brushes
    SiRoxx and jord001 like this.
  3. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

While H&S makes a great brush I have had a lot of issues with the nozzles cracking after very little usage . Mainly the .15 and .20 sized ones.
    I even did a test I ran the paint through my .18 Micron first they with a new nozzle in the H&S poured the paint from the Micron into the H&S to have it crack the nozzle after just spraying it for a couple of second.
    If you want to paint fishing lure I would suggest this one.https://spraygunner.com/gsi-creos-mr-airbrush-procon-boy-ps-270-0-2mm-platinum/
    it will handles an lure you want to paint and parts for it are a lot more affordable .
    For a compressor I suggest getting one with a tank , The studio compressor build heat and moisture and only actually run at about 15 PSI with air on.
    SiRoxx and jord001 like this.
  4. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I don't own a H&S so cant comment on them but have used the 0.15 needles which were soft ((apparently they have now been replaced by better quality ones) the Mr Hobby/Creos/Procon Boy range is affordable and are Good quality airbrushes. Like Mr.Micron suggested the PS 270 is good also the PS267 which also has a 0.2 or even the PS 274 which has a 0.3 setup difference between the 270 and the 267 is that the 270 has a built in mac valve.

For a real budget airbrush I would say the Sparmax max3 or max4 which are also very good quality I have an SP35 They also have cheap spares and are available from spraygunner

Also second a compressor with a bottle.
    SiRoxx likes this.
  5. Electric Cat Dude

Electric Cat Dude Gravity Guru

I use the Infinity CR Plus, which uses similar nozzles. Again your choice of airbrush is going to depend on the medium that you want to use in it. I don’t know what medium is typically used for painting fishing lures, but lacquers or enamels would be my first guess. In those applications, I’d recommend brushes which make use of Teflon or similar solvent resistant seals and don’t have a fluid nozzle bore less than 0.3 mm in order to properly handle thicker mediums. The Ultra can be bought with a 0.4 mm head and will work very well in that application.

The Harder and Steenbeck airbrush line are excellent quality, though are not quite as reliable as the Iwata Hi Performance or Custom Micron lines. Iwata brushes are far more ubiquitous, and you can usually find them and spare parts at most art stores or hobby shops. But online retailers like Spraygunner can get you whatever you need.
    jord001 likes this.