Harder & Steenbeck or Iwata

Thomas Barber

Double Actioner
Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline fPc 2 In 1 is the brush I've got my eye on or is there a model of Iwata I would be better off with instead?

Being, I have never used an H&S (wish I could) All I can say is I have heard great thing about them. But what works for one does not always for for all.
We researching what airbrush to buy I looked at price and parts , Could I go to a local place and buy say the needle and nozzle if I messed one up. Were the parts such that I would not break the bank when needing them.
To me H&S 2 in 1 is a great value, As far as Iwata Eclipse CS is a great work horse of an airbrush , Iwata does not really make a true 2 in 1 type airbrush. But a lot of the Line (Eclipse ,,Highline,Micron) parts are able to be mixed and matched to make the airbrush you want. Hope this does not confuse you .

Thats a great point. I have a great supplier close by an ill check out there website now see what bits they have available just to get an idea of the prices for parts.
Just planting another question out there, any opinions on the Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH

Hp -C are cool and you can turn them into a poor man's micron by taking the needle /nozzle off a HP-A and putting it in the C . Than for better trigger control grab you trigger from a HP-BC for a taller trigger and boom you have a airbrush that is great for small work.

Im with ran on this one,IWATA!!!

MR.Micron will that really get the fine detail, cause i may have to just do this!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Man, we should get commission from iwata!! You just went from a $200 hi-line to a $550 custom micron!! Lol! I have the iwata kustom micron cm, mine just has a slightly bigger cup and they just raised the price of them to $700+!! I bought mine with a hose compressor and pistol grip filter for $640 last year!!

Yeah your right, I was lucky enough to get some cash that I want to invest into this hobby. I want to take it serious so im keen to get a nice brush to grow with it. Originally I only wanted a new decent airbrush with a fair size gravity feed bowl lol

Do it!!! Crap equipment can only make you worse!!...... except snoopy valley!!! Check his work out and it will blow your mind when you see what he was working with!!! If your wanting to do it buy good stuff, if you can afford it. Quality stuff is worth the extra coin in the long run!!
The smaller needle and nozzle will help you to slow down and not put to much paint down rite off the bat!! Oh, what kind of paint will you use, if its water based. I wouldn't put anything other than the wicked line in a micron. If you do regular createx, you will have problems!! I strongly recommend urethanes with a micron!

well im in luck because i have got a fresh batch of wicked on the way! How are they for breaking down and cleaning. one thing i read on a website about changing the nosel said about iwata recommended them doing it?!? surly its not a nightmare to clean no?

No its not. They break down easily, but go slow!!! Take your time!! Those parts are very small and expensive to change and replace. It is a Ferrari of an airbrush, learn how to break it down and clean it properly and you will have it for a LONG time. Just remember to never push anything in the little end of the nozzle is when cleaning and dont shove anything up in the back of it unless it is soft. The nozzle (or matched head system as they call it) is 60 bucks alone!!! I mainly have another airbrush to spray the cleaner in the nozzle to be sure i dont mess it up. Just be patient and you will be fine.

Well cheers for that insight! pretty exciting! i know now I'm going to pretend I'm giving the purchase thought before i buy it to makes sure im making the right decision, but really i'm just gagging to buy it right now. soo....i'll probably have one ordered before the week is out!

Well good luck on your decision!! If you do like mr. Micron said you could buy the hi- line and the nozzle and needle combination to make the poor mans micron and the total of that will be half of the 500$ micron. Parts are cheaper and they are great guns!! Heck that is what Mitch (airbrushtutor) uses, and i dont believe he changed the insides. That would be a lot of extra money for some more paint and goodies!!

Im with ran on this one,IWATA!!!

MR.Micron will that really get the fine detail, cause i may have to just do this!!

Yes seamonkey , I learned this from Both Craig Fraser who broke what parts you take off which air brush to do it. I confirm this with David Monnig from coast airbrush . But David also explain the main difference between making a poor man;s micron and buying a real micron and that is the amount of atomization you get in the paint. The True Micron has a large mixing (air/Paint) chamber than the poor man's , But Dru Blair ,Terry Hill and a few other use a poor man's Micron.
It is Kind of like doing what Mike Learn does with the MOJO I-III , But like with My Micron I can either run the .23 needle nozzle set up or the .18 , Same named line means parts will swap ..35 from a CS will work with a BS and visa verse , The only line you can not do this with is the Kustom series due to they are just super modded versions of other lines .
But you have a micron I thought.

Also if you have a local warehouse who sells airbrushes , Some of them will let you test drive them to see which fits you best. Might check that out and see .

Ok. if done some research and i think i have made a decision. I think im going to go for the Iwata Kustom CH. Its got the cheaper parts. It has a taller trigger which is something that i was looking for. im not sure i need the .23 nozzle that the micron has. The .3 would be perfectly fine. And it drops in just over a £100 less........yep....this is the one.

Yes seamonkey , I learned this from Both Craig Fraser who broke what parts you take off which air brush to do it. I confirm this with David Monnig from coast airbrush . But David also explain the main difference between making a poor man;s micron and buying a real micron and that is the amount of atomization you get in the paint. The True Micron has a large mixing (air/Paint) chamber than the poor man's , But Dru Blair ,Terry Hill and a few other use a poor man's Micron.
It is Kind of like doing what Mike Learn does with the MOJO I-III , But like with My Micron I can either run the .23 needle nozzle set up or the .18 , Same named line means parts will swap ..35 from a CS will work with a BS and visa verse , The only line you can not do this with is the Kustom series due to they are just super modded versions of other lines .
But you have a micron I thought.
anit nothing wrong with having 2!!! lol

anit nothing wrong with having 2!!! lol
Nope nothing wrong with have 3 or 20 airbrushes , Just depends on how deep your pockets are.Me I have a CS , The micron with both tips and a poor man's that a guy from another board just sent me since he can no longer airbrush. I have not play with the poor man;s yet just got it yesterday and been busy with other stuff today so with some luck I will give it a go tomorrow.

Nope nothing wrong with have 3 or 20 airbrushes , Just depends on how deep your pockets are.Me I have a CS , The micron with both tips and a poor man's that a guy from another board just sent me since he can no longer airbrush. I have not play with the poor man;s yet just got it yesterday and been busy with other stuff today so with some luck I will give it a go tomorrow.
cool!!! let us know!!

Back