Harder & Steenbeck Silverline fPC

S

Sparkie56

Hi, could use some advice, have just begun airbrushing, tried a few of the basic tutorials today, quite pleased and suprised at my first attempt at the rock textures, will post my next shot at for coments and advice. I am using H & S fPc and golden airbrush colours, firstly could someone tell me when and how to use the fPc rotary control and secondly I'm having trouble achieving very fine lines even with the .2 needle. Where am I going wrong? Thanks in advance.

Hi, could use some advice, have just begun airbrushing, tried a few of the basic tutorials today, quite pleased and suprised at my first attempt at the rock textures, will post my next shot at for coments and advice. I am using H & S fPc and golden airbrush colours, firstly could someone tell me when and how to use the fPc rotary control and secondly I'm having trouble achieving very fine lines even with the .2 needle. Where am I going wrong? Thanks in advance.

Your not going wrong at all, I have the H&S Evolution silverline 2 in 1, and I can't get anything out of it, it simply does not like water based paints, I tried it with the supplied 0.4 needle and it works fine but clogs quickly.

I did a review on it and the Neo for Iwata, check this out

http://www.airbrushforum.org/airbrushes/1145-neo-evolution-review.html

I'm totally disappointed with it and will not try to use again, I have four cheap Chinese brushes that perform better, I've even just completed my comp piece with one of those.

Sorry for your disappointment.

Thank you for that, at least I know it's not me!! Well I think this could be one for ebay, as at the price I can't just stick it on a shelf and forget about it. What airbrush would you recommend, I'll probibly be looking to spend around the £100 to £150 mark. The main reason I bought this one was for the .4 needle, as I do artwork on chocolate and the paint is a little thicker than normal. and can not be easily thined down, as it's covering a naturally fatty surface.

Thank you for that, at least I know it's not me!! Well I think this could be one for ebay, as at the price I can't just stick it on a shelf and forget about it. What airbrush would you recommend, I'll probibly be looking to spend around the £100 to £150 mark. The main reason I bought this one was for the .4 needle, as I do artwork on chocolate and the paint is a little thicker than normal. and can not be easily thined down, as it's covering a naturally fatty surface.

Go with Iwata 0.4 or 0.5, I think if you did the 0.5 you could use less pressure and therefore have more control.

Would love to see some of your work if you have time

I forgot to mention the fpc knob you asked about is to restrict needle distance, but it's unlikely you'll need it in your work

Last edited by a moderator:
hi thanks again, I'm busy doing a couple of my "creations" so once they are finished I'll photo and pop them up. I make chocolate High Heel shoes and then decorate them to look like the real things, that's why I looked at airbrushing to get that extra something with the finish

hi thanks again, I'm busy doing a couple of my "creations" so once they are finished I'll photo and pop them up. I make chocolate High Heel shoes and then decorate them to look like the real things, that's why I looked at airbrushing to get that extra something with the finish

Sounds interesting, can't wait to see it.

Will do better than that, should have a few done by the weekend, will contact you when they are done, as there is a bit of sugar paste work on them as well, and if you would like one, I'll send one over to you. Any preference, White, Milk or Dark chocolate. They are around a UK size 4 high heel shoe

Will do better than that, should have a few done by the weekend, will contact you when they are done, as there is a bit of sugar paste work on them as well, and if you would like one, I'll send one over to you. Any preference, White, Milk or Dark chocolate. They are around a UK size 4 high heel shoe

Sounds great, but I'm a size 8, lol

I'm just kidding of course, I'll settle for seeing the photos, I love chocolate but I get migraine from that and other dairy stuff, airbrushing is airbrushing, so you can always post your work, we also have an "other hobbies" section in the open bar.

I'm always interested in what others do as hobby and work.

Sorry about that, I thought it might be just a bit like "sending coals to Newcastle" as I only use the finest Belgian chocolate to make these, and you being in Holland would nearly have sent the chocolate home. I have two types of work, I for my day job work as an electrician and on a part time basis, make chocolate and cakes, so the airbrushing is important to me as I can see many uses both for chocolate and cake decoration. Will keep you informed about my next airbrush and how it performs, with chocolate "paint", they do tell me I can thin a little with pure spirt or vodka, but at that stage I might want to stick a slice of lemon, ice cubes and a dash of coke in and enjoy. Once again thanks for the advice, I will follow it up

Kind regards

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
I have the exact same airbrush but even with the 0.15mm setup from the infinity and i have no problem at all getting fine details with waterbased paints though.
When you are starting out its hard to get any fine line with a airbrush since you still need to get alot of controll with practicing. When i started out i had the same problem
with my airbrushes. But i also agree that a 0.3 to 0.4mm setup is really better for a beginner. With the 0.15 and 0.2mm you need to thinn out your paint alot. Most artists
recomment for very fine details to reduce about 1:10 to 1:20 . Means like 10 drops of paint or reducer to 1 drop of paint. With that reduction you also dont need as much
pressure on your compressor.
As for your question about the FPC valve, i kinda never use it since i like to set my pressure on the compressor so i see exactly how much it is.

Thanks for that Andreas, the main problem I'm going to have, is for all I'm working at the moment with Golden paints, I will be working with a medium that is not quite the same as paint, It's food dye, with a spirit base as it covers chocolate, and it can't be thinned that much or it will not adhere to the chocolate. So I have a feeling I could be in trouble with this airbrush, one member has suggested a different make of airbrush, but it seems a shame that this one, which came with superb write-ups can not do what I need. It also seems to struggle with KopyKake food paint for icing. If you have any tips for these mediums, I would be very, very greatful

Sparkie, if you could tell us a little about the consistency of the medium you will be using, e.g. could you compare it to milk or syrup or something like that, then we can maybe help you more.

I have had a bad run with the evolution, but I can honestly only speak for the model in my hand at the time, others have had more luck with the same airbrush, but have a friend who has the same airbrush but he uses only urithanes and has no problem even with the smaller tip.

Hi Madbrush, the medium is like a typical metalic paint, with the consistancy of full milk, if that makes sense, it has to be well shaken to mix the metalics in with the alcohol, but because it is alcohol based dries out very quickly as it atomises. It's pretty unforgiving in as much that if you put the airbrush down for a few moments, and there is paint on the tip, it's blocked and you need to clean out completly

the paint is made up of the following ethanol, anti-caking agents, e555, coulouring e171 thickener 463

the paint is made up of the following ethanol, anti-caking agents, e555, coulouring e171 thickener 463

Sounds like Aquaflow paint which is alcohol based. I used this paint years ago when it still had a different brand name and it was nicely sprayable, but it had to be diluted correctly and air pressure should be set low. I vaguely recall that the MSDS did not show harmful substances which allowed me to spray without protective gear. One thing i vividly remember, is that the paint was re-soluable, which means that if I stayed in one place too long, I sort of dissolved the existing layer again. Can you confirm or deny that?

Hi again Sparky,
I would alsmot guess that for the cake decorating maybe a really big nozzle is better like the T-shirt artist use. So my guess is a 0.5mm setup would be better for that medium then.
And i also dont know how that medium is flowing compared to a airbrush paint though. But i think the 0.2mm nozzle of the evolution is too small for that work.

Hi again, you could be right, as if you over sprat, it can actually melt a thin film of chocolate so care has to be taken, I have tried the .4 nossel and it still is abit of a so and so to stop it blocking, but my main problem is that I can not get a thin line, as i paint lace designes onto the chocolate and an airbrush would be the perfect tool for the job

H&S makes many size heads and needles try switching to a larger size nozzle, needle and head. No need to buy another brush the H&S line is very versitile

Back