Have a badger 105...What is the optimal hose/ water trap set-up?

C

centralclb

I have asked this question before, but I can never get a straight answer.
1: I have a Badger 105...do I need a badger hose since it uses a proprietary attachment? if not, what of attachment is needed?
2: What is the optimal length of the hose? Ive heard longer is better for removing moisture.
3: lets say I ran a 10-15ft hose to a trap then another 5-7 ft hose to water trap at the base of the gun. Would that be my best option?

You will want to have a trap right off your compressor. I have a 10 foot hose with a pistol grip filter/water trap at the airbrush and have never had a problem. If you have a small tankless compressor i would recommend putting a coil hose in there as well. You will either have to get a badger hose or an badger to Iwata converter (it screws on the badger and converts it to 1/4 hose adapter) then you can run a 1/4 inch hose. Hope this helps.

Josh

You will want to have a trap right off your compressor. I have a 10 foot hose with a pistol grip filter/water trap at the airbrush and have never had a problem. If you have a small tankless compressor i would recommend putting a coil hose in there as well. You will either have to get a badger hose or an badger to Iwata converter (it screws on the badger and converts it to 1/4 hose adapter) then you can run a 1/4 inch hose. Hope this helps.

Josh

I always heard that putting a trap at the compressor isn't very effective because the air will be so warm, it hasn't had a chance to condense yet...?

You are correct the trap should not be mounted to the compressor for optimal water seperation I posted a diagram on this a while back it was for a larger set up but the theories are the same use gravity and distance to your advantage I will repost the diagram.Sharpe_airlines1.jpg

Ok I think I am going to go with a different brand of hose and get the proper attachments. Question is, quality wise would you suggest Master, Iwata, Paasche, or something else for hoses, attachments, water traps, etc.

From the compressor to the trap I would use air compressor air hose harbor frieght is good for this. I don't know where you are located. If you can have your trap close to your work area I would run a iwata or master braided hose from there to my AB I would also invest in a quick connect master setup that has a built in mac valve or regulator.

From the compressor to the trap I would use air compressor air hose harbor frieght is good for this. I don't know where you are located. If you can have your trap close to your work area I would run a iwata or master braided hose from there to my AB I would also invest in a quick connect master setup that has a built in mac valve or regulator.

I hadn't even considered using a regular air compressor hose from the compressor to a trap, but it makes a lot of sense. What length of hose should i go with? 5-7ft?
then can I run that air compressor hose to a trap like this:
314BJKsjh7L.jpg

and from off of that a braided hose around 7ft to a trap like this off the gun?
mn1_002665.jpg

That's fine if possible go with the longest hoas you can between the compressor and the water trap and try to make it go up and the down to the compressor. I'm not a fan of the airbrush water trap have one and don't use it if you do a hose between the trap and compressor you will be beter off than most.

John

"Be good or be good at it"

I always heard that putting a trap at the compressor isn't very effective because the air will be so warm, it hasn't had a chance to condense yet...?

lol, im so sorry, i was on break at work and in a hurry, i forgot to mention that i have 2 ten foot hoses with a trap joining the 2 hoses. sorry again, looks like strictly attideude has you worked out now though, that diagram is the spot on the ideal way to do it.

That's fine if possible go with the longest hoas you can between the compressor and the water trap and try to make it go up and the down to the compressor. I'm not a fan of the airbrush water trap have one and don't use it if you do a hose between the trap and compressor you will be beter off than most.

John

I can go as long as needed on the hose, what would be good? 10, 15, 20?

And pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by "make it to up and down to the compressor?" do you mean run the hose in a wave pattern or are you referring to the actual position of the water trap?

Thanks again for all the help, I appreciate it

25 ft is best and what I mean is have it come off the compressor then go strait up then across at a downward slope then down to the water trap which should be the lowest point of the system leave room to drain. Then your ab hose. I have a quick connect with an air valve on my hose. Here's a pic of the connect this one is grex but have some cheapy ones too they work good and are inexpensive.uploadfromtaptalk1352333999275.jpg
John

25 ft is best and what I mean is have it come off the compressor then go strait up then across at a downward slope then down to the water trap which should be the lowest point of the system leave room to drain. Then your ab hose. I have a quick connect with an air valve on my hose. Here's a pic of the connect this one is grex but have some cheapy ones too they work good and are inexpensive.View attachment 6234
John

I had someone on another forum tell me running an extra long hose is hard on small compressors because it is constantly trying to fill up....logically I'm not seeing it, but is there any truth to it?

I had someone on another forum tell me running an extra long hose is hard on small compressors because it is constantly trying to fill up....logically I'm not seeing it, but is there any truth to it?
yes and no, lol! you wouldnt want to have a long hose if you dont have a tank, you have one and that is good. it will only work to fill the tank when needed so your good. one thing though it would be a good investment if your painting for hours to get a bigger compressor tank but if your only doing small stuff like models or paper sized paintings your in good shape :)

Look at the hose as just more air storage cause that's what it is. Your compressor is going to kick on when depleated to a certain psi it might take a couple more seconds to fill than with out the hose. You are not using a cheap compressor designed to make 35psi so you are going to be in good shape.

John

Back