HEEEEEEELP! Badger vs Iwata

N

newboi

Hello,

Im new new to airbrushing I have tried to do a massive research into airbrushes and have narrowed down 2 airbrushes: Badger 155-9 Anthem or Iwata Eclipse BCS bottom fed airbrush.

I am an artist and mostly paint large 30"+ artworks. I paint large areas of solid colour with hard edge between colours (no gradients etc)

I need an airbrush that can spray solid and fairly large pattern (2-3 inches). I will be using mostly thinned acrylic, FW inks, automotive paints.

My Questions/concerns are:
1. Which one will spray the widest pattern without quality loss
2. Which is THE most easiest one and fastest to clean/take apart
3. As a newbie which one I wont break with stupid mistakes... so which one is most reliable as a good workhorse :)

Many thanks in advance!

p.s. Maybe there is a completely different airbrush that I need?

Sound more like you need a mini spray gun or touch up guy.
Airbrushes spray a round pattern, As far as coverage that comes from practice and learning the reduction you need to shoot the way you want it too.
.50 needle set up will spray the pattern you are looking for but you will have to practice to know what distance you need to hold the airbrush away from the surface. How to reduce you paint for best flow .
as for bottom feed color change out is easy , Water based , have a bottle of water and hook it up spray clean than hook up next bottle.
Automotive pretty much the same but with the reducer that goes with the paint you are using.
Make sure what ever airbrush you buy has the teflon needle bearing in it so you can use automotive paints.

And stupid mistake break airbrushes ,,, Nothing can fix stupid, When it happen you just order the parts and replace what is screwed up.
But being you sound like you are not going for fine detail , Leaving the Crown cap on all the time will keep you from bending the needle tip or cracking the nozzle.
Either brush will do what you need done both are work horses.
But being this is your first post and not really an introduction or even a link to see what type of art work you do .. This is the only advice I can give you.

I would have said every word that micron has already stated except I would have probably put and "LOL" in there a couple of more times an that's only because I always put them in there..... Lol! :)

He has you covered on this one :)

Josh

Yesterday is now history and tomorrow is a mystery. Treat today as a gift, because that's why they call it "THE PRESENT"

I would have said every word that micron has already stated except I would have probably put and "LOL" in there a couple of more times an that's only because I always put them in there..... Lol! :)

He has you covered on this one :)

Josh

Yesterday is now history and tomorrow is a mystery. Treat today as a gift, because that's why they call it "THE PRESENT"

Yes I did come off like a hard ass.LMAO sorry mate but it is Monday:D

What about the Paasche Talon TS. It can take a .6 nozzle and even a fan cap for faster coverage.

I forgot about the Talon...

Thanks guys for such a quick response!

I've looked at the talon however, I can't find it anywhere in the UK at a decent price tag.. In fact all airbrushes here in the UK cost almost twice as much as it would normally cost in the states :(

I just want something universal and robust that will take more or less any paint and will spray a large pattern plus is super easy to clean... I know i'm asking a lot for one single airbrush:) lol

The part where i got the most confused is i guess where one person says Iwata is the best and Badger is nowhere near as good or other say Badger will take any paint without any problem where Iwata will clog.... #confusing

H.

Thanks guys for such a quick response!

I've looked at the talon however, I can't find it anywhere in the UK at a decent price tag.. In fact all airbrushes here in the UK cost almost twice as much as it would normally cost in the states :(

I just want something universal and robust that will take more or less any paint and will spray a large pattern plus is super easy to clean... I know i'm asking a lot for one single airbrush:) lol

The part where i got the most confused is i guess where one person says Iwata is the best and Badger is nowhere near as good or other say Badger will take any paint without any problem where Iwata will clog.... #confusing

H.

Any airbrush or spray gun can clog. it is a matter of learning how to reduce you paint for the airbrush.
Some paint (Automotive) needs filtered
As far as what is the best that is up to you and what you use it for, almost all airbrushes made today will take what ever paint you through at them.
I still say it would be great if you could test drive an airbrush before buying it.

Yes I did come off like a hard ass.LMAO sorry mate but it is Monday:D

Lol, I didn't meant it like that, I was just making a joke that I always use lol, in everything, lol! It has gotten so bad that I don't even laugh anymore, I just say L.O.L!! And when it is really funny I throw in the L.M.A.O but you should see the looks I get when I yell out RONTFLMAO and then show a normal face when they look at me:/ ...........lol!

Josh

Lol, I didn't meant it like that, I was just making a joke that I always use lol, in everything, lol! It has gotten so bad that I don't even laugh anymore, I just say L.O.L!! And when it is really funny I throw in the L.M.A.O but you should see the looks I get when I yell out RONTFLMAO and then show a normal face when they look at me:/ ...........lol!

Josh

I can see you doing that ... After the look on your face when your son gave you a head shot....LMAO

unfortunately its impossible to test drive :( can't even see them in flesh anywhere... out of those two which one would you choose? or maybe theres a third one?!
I just want to order one of them today and get on with stuff... I don't have much money to play with, so I kinda need to choose "the one" as I can't return it once purchased or afford another one...

Regarding the paint well what I gathered from my research is that more or less anything should consistency of milk... I guess I will start with the Daler Rowney FW ink..

The problem with which one is better, its all personal feel, sorry to say that's really it. Yes you will always get the people who had a bad experience with this or that brand, and invariably bash them at every chance, when frequently it was some other factor entirely.

I am am a Badger user, I have 5 one of them an Anthem, I hardly ever use it. It was my second ever AB purchase after a cheap knockoff. Since then I have only bought gravity feed brushes, since I do mostly smaller projects.

I really like my Badgers, customer service it top notch, Ken at Badger will bend over backwards to make things right anytime there is an issue, truly a company that cares.

With all that said, I just order an Iwata, still waiting for it to come in. Curiosity was killing me. I had to personally try one out to see if they are better or not, feel better in the hand or not, or just work better for me, or give me more confidence when using one. I ordered a High Line hp-ch. I also have 2 Badger detail brushes. So there will be a side by side comparison of feel and fit and all that.

If you really compare both models you mentioned, both have very similar construction. Siphon feed, dual action, self centering nozzle. Eclipse has a smaller nozzle,.5mm vs .7mm, both have other needle /nozzle options, although Badger parts may or may not be cheaper, not sure on UK pricing. Both are solvent resistant. One picky thing might be, that if later on you want to do tighter detail, the Eclipse will work with out the nozzle cap where the Anthem will not work without it.

So it really all comes down to your opinion of what everyone has told you, and things you have read, or videos you have watched. Price is always a consideration as well as price of parts. If you want to spray thicker materials or not. Etc, etc, etc.

Either way good luck with your decision. We'll be here to answer any questions and or help with any issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks folks for your help!

I've just placed an order for Badger 155-9 set (in a nice wood grain box with spare needle and head) and a AS196 Twin cylinder compressor.... should arrive in a couple of days.... fairly excited :) Still gutted about the price tag though.... cost me £260 = $450...

If I bought this in states would have paid less than 250 dollars :(

Will let you know how I'm getting on :)

I have a small touch-up automotive spray gun that covers that area. Air brushes are not suitable for what you want. They are very easy to clean and have a nice size container for a lot of paint. I use it to put lacquer on my paintings on wood surfaces. Has a nice 3 inch spray at an 8 inch height from the work area.

Thanks folks for your help!

I've just placed an order for Badger 155-9 set (in a nice wood grain box with spare needle and head) and a AS196 Twin cylinder compressor.... should arrive in a couple of days.... fairly excited :) Still gutted about the price tag though.... cost me £260 = $450...

If I bought this in states would have paid less than 250 dollars :(

Will let you know how I'm getting on :)
god luck on your quest

Lol you read that thread before I had time to edit it didn't you haha.....I write that , not reading that it included the compressor, sorry to scare you bro, I think you have got yourself a great brush there mate and should be so great start for the work you want to do......as mentioned before, badger are great for a variety of reasons, dirty if I scared you I thought you had paid it for the brush alone before re reading, sorry

Lol you read that thread before I had time to edit it didn't you haha.....I write that , not reading that it included the compressor, sorry to scare you bro, I think you have got yourself a great brush there mate and should be so great start for the work you want to do......as mentioned before, badger are great for a variety of reasons, dirty if I scared you I thought you had paid it for the brush alone before re reading, sorry

Ah pfew! Almost got a heart attack haha :)

Thanks mate, yeah i hope it will do the trick! Can't wait to get started :)

Will let you all know how im getting on... I bet I will have some questions :D

H.

Back