Hello Everyone, My Name Is Kai! :D

Well I'm not a badger fan but I digress. Badger,iwata, richpen, h&s , peak, the list goes on and on. Everyone finds a different brush that works for them. Some of it will depend on what paints you will be sticking with and what substrate you will be painting on mostly. For illustration a fine line needle is best setup .2mm for general spraying such as t-shirts .35mm is pretty standard. I have both setups. Most t shirt guys use bottle feed due to being able to just spray straight from the paint bottle and ease of color changing. I'm mostly automotive so I use a wide array of different airbrushes and guns depending on what I'm doing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

And as far as the paint not flowing from a sidefeed, that's either the cheap airbrush itself or your paint not reduced enough or not enough air pressure. I've used a side feed and they work fine just require a little more psi then gravity feed and a little less than bottle feed. All of that can vary. I spray from 10-45 psi depending on what I'm doing. The lower the air pressure the thinner your paint needs to be and the thicker the paint the higher your air pressure needs to be. Since you are using a textile tshirt paint, by nature it requires more air pressure because of its thickness and lack of a good reducer

Ahhh okay I understand! Thank you Immortal you are awesome! Would you also be able to clarify exactly the difference between fine, medium and heavy heads are for airbrushes? I am guessing Fine means fine lined, so are the words assigned to specific needle sizes? And also, can all needles sizes fit in any airbrush as long as you have the right nozzle aswell?

Hi Kai, I absolutely love my Iwata side-feed airbrushes and they are very versatile because you can put anything from a very small cup up to a 60ml bottle on them. They don't need much more air pressure than a gravity feed, the difference is not worth fussing about. It's a matter of what a person prefers to use and how it feels in the hand.

All you need to worry about is adjusting the air pressure till you get it spraying how you want, there is no set rule that all 0.3mm airbrushes need Xpsi and all 0.2mm airbrushes need Ypsi. Different makes and models will need different psi and different thickness of paint will also need different psi settings. The only big difference is a siphon feed with a bigger nozzle size like the 0.5mm and up, will need a lot more air pressure and you will have to make sure you have a compressor that can deal with that.
Good luck :)

Well when you paint on curved automotive surfaces the side feed will end up hitting the surface at some point and mess either you or the surface up so that's a major difference

Well when you paint on curved automotive surfaces the side feed will end up hitting the surface at some point and mess either you or the surface up so that's a major difference

Sure there are physical differences Immortal, I was talking about air pressure. I have side-feed and gravity feed airbrushes and I can put gravity cups and siphon feed cups on my side-feed and I hardly notice any difference in psi needed between any set up.

That's why I said it's what a person prefers and how it feels that's important. If I found the side-feed cups getting in the way of how I work and the gravity feed didn't, I'd prefer a gravity feed too :) I don't paint curved surfaces so I've never come across those types of issues and I can see that the gravity feed cup on top would be more convenient.

Sure there are physical differences Immortal, I was talking about air pressure. I have side-feed and gravity feed airbrushes and I can put gravity cups and siphon feed cups on my side-feed and I hardly notice any difference in psi needed between any set up.

That's why I said it's what a person prefers and how it feels that's important. If I found the side-feed cups getting in the way of how I work and the gravity feed didn't, I'd prefer a gravity feed too :) I don't paint curved surfaces so I've never come across those types of issues and I can see that the gravity feed cup on top would be more convenient.

Hi Kai, I absolutely love my Iwata side-feed airbrushes and they are very versatile because you can put anything from a very small cup up to a 60ml bottle on them. They don't need much more air pressure than a gravity feed, the difference is not worth fussing about. It's a matter of what a person prefers to use and how it feels in the hand.

All you need to worry about is adjusting the air pressure till you get it spraying how you want, there is no set rule that all 0.3mm airbrushes need Xpsi and all 0.2mm airbrushes need Ypsi. Different makes and models will need different psi and different thickness of paint will also need different psi settings. The only big difference is a siphon feed with a bigger nozzle size like the 0.5mm and up, will need a lot more air pressure and you will have to make sure you have a compressor that can deal with that.
Good luck :)
Thank you Melbee! Your tutorials are absolutely amazing for beginners like me, continue to make many more, they are definitely helpful as you do give an indepth detailed tutorial on the specific subject you are on. Thank you yet again for that information I will definitely keep that in mind!

Thank you Melbee! Your tutorials are absolutely amazing for beginners like me, continue to make many more, they are definitely helpful as you do give an indepth detailed tutorial on the specific subject you are on. Thank you yet again for that information I will definitely keep that in mind!

Thanks a lot Kai :) When you say tutorials, do you mean my Airbrush Mel videos on YouTube? I've just recorded a whole load of new ones showing the methods I used to paint my Barbara Stanwyck's Eye so when I've edited those they will be going up soon. I don't think of them as tutorials, I'm just passing on some information that I've learned and maybe it will help other folks too :) :)

Thanks a lot Kai :) When you say tutorials, do you mean my Airbrush Mel videos on YouTube? I've just recorded a whole load of new ones showing the methods I used to paint my Barbara Stanwyck's Eye so when I've edited those they will be going up soon. I don't think of them as tutorials, I'm just passing on some information that I've learned and maybe it will help other folks too :) :)
Yes your videos on YouTube, I hope to be creating some at some point however it will be an all-round channel on everything in my life, not just for airbrushing haha! But yes that information is priceless, it really does help a lot!

Yes your videos on YouTube, I hope to be creating some at some point however it will be an all-round channel on everything in my life, not just for airbrushing haha! But yes that information is priceless, it really does help a lot!

Oh that's really good to hear, I'm happy to help when I can :) Good luck with your own videos, they are a lot of work though, mostly the editing. It's taken me a long time to cut down on my "ums" and "errs" but I have learnt how to edit them out now when they do pop up Ha Ha Ha!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh that's really good to hear, I'm happy to help when I can :) Good luck with your own videos, they are a lot of work though, mostly the editing. It's taken me a long time to cut down on my "ums" and "errs" but I have learnt how to edit them out now when they do pop up Ha Ha Ha!!
Yeah I could guess there is a lot of editing to do for the videos! We all make mistakes and go blank! Thank you for the luck as I definitely will need it for when I start to upload!

Welcome, can't wait to see some of your work.
Thank you! I will definitely be posting up some work soon! My Krome will be delivered this week.

May I ask how the performance of Createx paint is with the Krome?

If you are talking about standard Createx...don't use it with your Krome. It is designed for textiles and you should use at least a .3 needle and 30 to 60 PSI.

If you are talking about standard Createx...don't use it with your Krome. It is designed for textiles and you should use at least a .3 needle and 30 to 60 PSI.
Yeah I only have Opaque Createx Paints, and indeed I was going to use them with my Krome, why should I not as I would like to be enlightened as to what the outcome would be? Thanks jgny1!

It is a very thick paint that is meant for larger needles and higher pressure. I think you will have very bad tip dry and clogging issues if you use it with that small of a needle. If you were to try it I would reduce it by allot.

It is a very thick paint that is meant for larger needles and higher pressure. I think you will have very bad tip dry and clogging issues if you use it with that small of a needle. If you were to try it I would reduce it by allot.
The thing is I need to use textile paint as that is what my main projects will be, so which paint could you recommend for the Krome?

Well, I don't think I would have selected the Krome for painting Textiles..however since you have it, I would Recommend SpectrTex paint from Badger or E-Tac Private Stock. Both are ready to shoot from the bottle with a larger needle size but you could reduce it with water if needed. Are you in the US? E-Tac you get from usairbrush.com and SpectrTex you can Michaels craft store or webairbrushes.com.

Why did you not want a siphon feed brush, most t-shirt/textile artists use them?

The Krome comes with the .2 &.3 needles and the. 3 is doable for create if you play with a wee reduction but filtering in highly recommended

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't think I would have selected the Krome for painting Textiles..however since you have it, I would Recommend SpectrTex paint from Badger or E-Tac Private Stock. Both are ready to shoot from the bottle with a larger needle size but you could reduce it with water if needed. Are you in the US? E-Tac you get from usairbrush.com and SpectrTex you can Michaels craft store or webairbrushes.com.

Why did you not want a siphon feed brush, most t-shirt/textile artists use them?
I am from the UK and I am not doing T-Shirts just yet, I will be later on however my main projects will be sneakers/trainers, in which I don't really need a Siphon and my preference is gravity fed :) I only have small sessions, I don't go on constantly, I will only do one part of the sneaker per day as I don't have as many hours as I'd like to :(

The kroner comes with the .2 &.3 needles and the. 3 is doable for create if you play with a wee reduction but filtering in highly recommended

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Filtering? Is there any specific way to go about filtering the paint? I never knew you could filter paint o_O?

Back