Hello from Holland

• Thread starter mauricesteenbergen
  • Start date
M

mauricesteenbergen

Hi all,

My name is Maurice Steenbergen and I currently live near Utrecht in The Netherlands. I graduated from graphic design school in 1991 and have been creating artwork, music and film professionally ever since. Currently I'm a freelance producer / director / editor of music videos and documentary films here in The Netherlands. Main reason for me to get into airbrushing: I want an analogue hobby. Too much computers and stress in my life, and I've been really wanting to create some artwork that doesn't involve any clients and deadlines.

I've been airbrushing digitally on Wacoms since 1993, but never got my hands on a real airbrush until a few months ago. I took a few introduction lessons and got my own gear last week. I've been practicing my dots, lines and daggers for a good 3 hours a day since then. I'm using the Airbrush Tutor's tutorials and the DVD from Daniel Power. I notice a steady progress, which I love :)

Finally the gear I bought (from Airbrush Almere): Iwata HP-C Plus airbrush, Hansa HTC20A silent compressor, Createx Classic paints, a stencil burner and some Mylar. I use a magnetic whiteboard/flipboard as an easel.

Thanks for all the useful information on this forum, I enjoy it a lot.

Have a great day,
Maurice.

Thanks Jim, might be a while before I feel confident enough to post some work. I'm just a week into practice mode now, should take a while before I pick up some precision :)

Welcome home Maurice, Looks like you have started on the right foot.
Depending on what canvas you are working on I would look into Wicked or Illustration both made by Createx, Classis (Standard) Createx is design as t-shirt paint and to be used through a .5 airbrush set up.

Thanks for the tip Mr. Micron. I thought Createx Classic was some sort of allround paint. My canvas is paper, I'll definitely give the Wicked and Illustration paints a go next order.

Hi Haasje, yes I'm aware. I'm planning to check it out next time I need some paint, which is inevitable :)
I'm in Vleuterweide to be precise ...

Welcome from Philly Maurice. I'm jealous of your set up it sounds awesome. Your digital skills should come in handy for making your own stencils and such. Don't be afraid to post anything, I posted my first try with dots and lines, which was like two days ago, and everyone was very helpful and non judgmental. One thing don't forget some kind of respirator or dust mask, and some ventilation, or you will be blowing rainbows out your nose when you are done. Com-art is another good paint to start with. I've tried it and createx the com-art is much easier to use when you start out.

Paint long and prosper\\//.

Welcome aboars Maurice!! Sounds like you are off to a great start!! As herb stated, get some Wicked paints, they are such an awesome universal multi purpose paint, everything from clothing, to metal.
Looking forward to see your progress!!

hey maurice, welcome to the forum buddy, with your varied skills im sure you will be an important and welcome addition to the family, thats what we are here buddy , family, no hate, no egos.... just love and constructive criticism where it is wanted.

where or who did you do your intro course with,?? have you heard of marissa oosterlee in katwijk..... her courses are unbelievable and once you have a little brush control, will take 2 years out of your learning (and im fortunate enough to be attending the colour portrait course in july at her studio in holland)

Hi Maurice, welcome from the UK :) Looks like you're off to a great start, and with time behind the airbrush you'll be flying along. Shout out any questions, and the good people around here will help you along your path :)

Thanks for the warm welcome 'ad fez'. I haven't heard of Marissa Oosterlee, but I've had a great introduction lesson with Peter Evers from studio Kim Mae in Ravenstein. I plan to take a course there once my basics levels are up :)

Thanks for the warm welcome Oddball, Kasey24, MeeshellMP and Squishy!
I feel right at home already :)

I would not be worried about posting any pics at all, you will see everything from amazing art to beginner art here. ( I fall in the latter with some of that being amazing when you think about it) You likely understand shading and lighting so this ought to be more of an excercise in brush control and technique for you.

And on the paint yeah, a lot of us tried standard createx when starting, it is a high volume high pressure high coverage paint, great for t shirts, not so great for fine detail stuff (and it will clog up smaller airbrushes too) Lots of good paint out there. Com Art is my Staple, Createx Illustration in my limited experience is awesome, Wicked flows pretty good and works on everything. No experience with E-Tac but heard a lot of good. The Illustration and the Com Art i know for a fact creates less Tip Dry and other issues than the Wicked.

Back