Hello from Norfolk!

Mr TEL

Young Tutorling
Hi I'm Terry

I used to use an Aerograph 63A for graphics and retouching in the 1980s. Then Photoshop came along and it was consigned to the cupboard under the stairs.
In recent years I've turned my hand to scale modelling, and naturally wondered if the old 63 was suitable for airbrushing models with enamels etc. It was soon apparent that it wasn't! So the old aero went back to its resting place under the stairs and I bought an Iwata HB BS, which I've been happy with ever since.

It was only last week that I thought of dragging ithe 63 out of retirement, especially now that we a have good choice of quality airbrush paints, such as Vallejo Model Air. After a bit of TLC and lots of cleaner, the old girl works like new, and quite happily squirts the new paints through its ultra-fine nozzle. So maybe it could still be useful.
The only thing is, there's an annoying click when pressing down on the trigger. half-way. I've no idea what's causing it (perhaps it was always there?). Could this be adjusted without stripping it down I wonder? That's the last thing I want to do now that I've got it working.

So if there are any Aerograph experts left out there....

Welcome Terry :)

Cant really help with Your Aerograph problem but did You strip it down when You cleaned it and was it put back together properly?

There are a few clever people here who will be able to help I am sure :)

Welcome Terry :)

Cant really help with Your Aerograph problem but did You strip it down when You cleaned it and was it put back together properly?

There are a few clever people here who will be able to help I am sure :)
Nope. I've never stripped it down. I read somewhere that you need a special tool, plus I don't know the procedure and would probably end up with a box of parts put back in the cupboard!

Just had a look at My 63 and it clicks if I press the trigger more on the side but not if I press from the top, if that makes sense! does Yours click if doing the same?

Hi there

Not really to the side, but it's less pronounced when pulled right back, in which case it's more of a scraping effect.

Welcome to the forum, Terry - I will look, and come back and post a link (eventually), but in the meantime there is a manual, and strip down guide for the Super63 somewhere in the "airbrushes" section. It makes it very simple to take the brush apart, and then put it back together. Obviously the CAM assembly is the tricky part - I used a pencil carved to fit the pieces to hold things in place.

I would guess at the clicking sound being the diaphragm (in the air valve) being dried out. Older ones could get quite stiff, and crunchy, newer generations are a softer material.

Thanks Dave. Sounds very fiddly but I reckon we're on the right track here. I reckon mine is a 1981 model as it has the ball type valve which replaced the old mushroom one. I bought it new and still got the documentation that cam with it - somewhere...

heres the link I think Dave was on about :)

Thanks Dave. Sounds very fiddly but I reckon we're on the right track here. I reckon mine is a 1981 model as it has the ball type valve which replaced the old mushroom one. I bought it new and still got the documentation that cam with it - somewhere...
My Super93 has the ball valve instead of the diaphragm. Much prefer the ball type
Amazingly I've still got all the d

ocs that came with it.

Amazingly I've still got all the d

ocs that came with it.

Not sure what happened there! As I was trying to say...
hahahaha, when you hit "reply", there can be a lag that allows you to start typing before the forum may insert it own will into the post ;) . When you hit "reply" just pause for a moment before you actually start typing - you will see when it is safe:thumbsup:

Hello Terry, welcome to the Forum. With Dave you are in the best hands for your problem. I hope to see some of your work when you get your super 63 straightened out. đź‘Ť

Hello Terry, welcome to the Forum. With Dave you are in the best hands for your problem. I hope to see some of your work when you get your super 63 straightened out. đź‘Ť
Mainly armour and military aircraft, and the occasional car or motorbike.

hahahaha, when you hit "reply", there can be a lag that allows you to start typing before the forum may insert it own will into the post ;) . When you hit "reply" just pause for a moment before you actually start typing - you will see when it is safe:thumbsup:
Thanks. Well I certainly made a fool of myself there. What happened to the attachment though? Is it because it's a PDF?

Thanks. That book looks strangely familiar...

Welcome to the forum, Terry - I will look, and come back and post a link (eventually), but in the meantime there is a manual, and strip down guide for the Super63 somewhere in the "airbrushes" section. It makes it very simple to take the brush apart, and then put it back together. Obviously the CAM assembly is the tricky part - I used a pencil carved to fit the pieces to hold things in place.

I would guess at the clicking sound being the diaphragm (in the air valve) being dried out. Older ones could get quite stiff, and crunchy, newer generations are a softer material.
Crunchy describes it perfectly!

Back