Hello from NYC!

BijouPyramidette

Double Actioner
Hi everyone! I'm new here and new to airbrushing in general! I discovered airbrushing while watching cosplay tutorials and it's like a light bulb went on in my head! [emoji362]

I got myself a crappy little no name airbrush and no name mini compressor that pushes out an anemic wheeze, but it's gotten me started on getting the feel of it before I spring for better tools.

Right now I'm eyeing a Paasche model H for laying down base coats over large surfaces, but i'm still unsure what to replace my gravity feed chinesium brush with because I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to need. I think it's gonna be more stencils than freehand though, so I think an Iwata eclipse would be overkill.

I have the worst setup imaginable because I'm doing this in my little shoebox apartment in NYC, where the weather is either cold and dry or hot and ultra wet, but whatever, we'll cope.

Looking forward to absorbing all your wisdom!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Welcome home
If you really want a work horse of an airbrush look into the Iwata Eclipse you can get the BCS (siphon feed) .5 set up or the CS(gravity feed).35 or the SBS (side feed) .35 but you can convert the .5 to .35 if you want too or make the .35 into a .5 being the parts interchange.The Eclipse series are all dual action mean you push the trigger down for air and pull it back for paint so that means you can cover a large area or with lots of practice you can pull in some tight detail.
The Paasche H series is single action which means when air is one so is the paint.

That's why I was looking at paasche for laying down base coats, primers, etc where the dual action doesn't seem useful. I don't think my compressor can drive it though since it's one of those tankless palm-sized affairs that squeeze out 25psi on a good day. Maybe for an attractive spatter pattern...

It sounds like the eclipse is very versatile. That's interesting to me because I don't want to accumulate a lot of gear because I won't have a place to store it. I need to strike a balance between minimalism and quality of life, that I can have a reasonable range of options without having 25 different single-purpose brushes.

I was thinking eventually replacing my Crappy(R) gravity feed brush with a badger 105/anthem or a patriot talon, but maybe the eclipse can be added back to the realm of possibility! Work-horse is definitely good here.

But first I gotta work on a better compressor...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Look for a California Air compressor . They are pretty silent and has a tank .
Now why dual action over single that is a simple answer . With a dual action you can spray air over a piece with out the paint to aid in drying times on thing like primer and sealers which tend to be a larger pigment paint . With a single action it is more like a rattle spray can which can lay on paint to heavy in spot ore give you a ton of runs.
The badger 105 is a great AB , I have had bad luck with the Passche Talon . My Eclipse is 12 to 13 years old and gets a lot of use other then bending a needle and cracking a nozzle when I first starter out I have not had to replace any parts on it since then.
You can pick up or if nothing else have a look at a Eclipse at your local Hobby Lobby.
While the Neo is branded as Iwata it is not as much of a work horse as the eclipse is.

Welcome from the U.K.! Mr Micron has already given the best advice. My advice would be, stick around, get involved and enjoy the huge amount of advice you can receive here. Happy New Year!

I understand the Neo is basically a Chinese airbrush sold under the Iwata label to more or less Iwata specs, but in the end you pay Ferrari price for a little Fiat 600.

I do not have a hobby lobby close by, regrettably :(

Thank you for all your advice guys!

You've helped my wishlist out a ton!

Now to find a suitcase full of money [emoji28]

Proud owner of a Crappy(R) brand airbrush.

Welcome from Australia,
As you’ve already stated a suitable compressor should be top of your list. Before you hand over any cash I respectfully suggest that you tell us what you’re thinking of getting, we may be able to help you avoid unnecessary $$
Because you are thinking of painting cosplay you would unlikely need a detail brush. A siphon may be suitable, they need higher psi so that will need to be considered with your compressor. A siphon would allow quick colour change, even from primer to colour.
Are you going to be doing only the costumes or is human skin also included in your considerations ?

No thoughts yet, but something not too loud and not too huge would be nice. Shoebox apartment, storage is a real problem :[ It's why I liked the itty bitty compressorette in the first place, if only it didn't have all the blowing power of a kitten with asthma.

Human skin is included, with Kryolan's Nebula line in mind. I've been testing their formula out and aside from the nightmare sensorials (silicone polymers, urgh) the formula looks good and sprays nicely. Does fine with a .3mm needle even though the airbrush they recommend for it (which I haven't been able to figure out yet who makes it) is a .4mm. For makeup the baby compressor is fine and I even have to open the little bleed valve a bit for comfort.

wicdiv3-9.jpg

This is what I've got in mind for the 2020 New York Comic Con. For airbrushing there will be the makeup, and I'll be wearing a mesh sleeve with crow silhouettes stenciled on in lieu of tattoos. I think it'll be cool.

No thoughts yet, but something not too loud and not too huge would be nice. Shoebox apartment, storage is a real problem :[ It's why I liked the itty bitty compressorette in the first place, if only it didn't have all the blowing power of a kitten with asthma.

Human skin is included, with Kryolan's Nebula line in mind. I've been testing their formula out and aside from the nightmare sensorials (silicone polymers, urgh) the formula looks good and sprays nicely. Does fine with a .3mm needle even though the airbrush they recommend for it (which I haven't been able to figure out yet who makes it) is a .4mm. For makeup the baby compressor is fine and I even have to open the little bleed valve a bit for comfort.

wicdiv3-9.jpg

This is what I've got in mind for the 2020 New York Comic Con. For airbrushing there will be the makeup, and I'll be wearing a mesh sleeve with crow silhouettes stenciled on in lieu of tattoos. I think it'll be cool.
Now you got me interested -.-

wicdiv3-9.jpg

That’s going to make for some great cosplay.
If you throw up a picture of the “recommended airbrush” somebody may recognise it. But as you said, I’d guess it doesn’t need to be that exact airbrush.

Yep I agree with SiRoxx, looks like a standard gravity feed double action airbrush so If you can afford it, an eclipse would be the weapon of choice, branded name, super reliable, worth spending the money on. California Airtools compressors are pretty quiet and they do small ones that wouldn't take too much space up.

This one may be ok for you. Folks, info on this compressor would be good, Might not be powerful enough, I don't honestly know but it is definitely quiet.

https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-1P1060SP-Compressor/dp/B077CNLPBC

Eclipse from spraygunner will probably be cheapest unless you can get a 40% coupon for Michaels or Hobby Lobby being in the UK I havent a clue about US stores and special offers.

Lee

Back