Hello from Oregon

R

robd

Hi folks, another new guy to airbrushing here. I refinish firearms with a product called Cerakote. While doing this I have started doing camo themes on the stocks and have a need to use a airbrush. WOW what a kick this is! I am now doing free hand camo and would like to learn to do finer details, like an Elk or a Deer on the stocks. I started off with a Paasche VL. It works ok for the large areas, but not for any type of detail work. I have researched, read all the reviews I could on NICE airbrushs. I see a lot of people using a Iwata. I went for the Badger Krome. Think I am on the right track? I ordered some Createx transparent to start with. Having a blast doing all the lessons here that have been available for download. Thanks so much Airtutor for a great site and resource.

Welcome Home , Now let me start you out on the right foot. While firearms do not see a lot of sunlight , Standard Createx is not colorfast and is the thickest of the Createx line. Make a run over to your local Hobby Lobby (after printing off a few of the 40% off coupons ) and buy some WICKED (made by createx) it is colorfast and flows great.
After the art work is on use the Cerakote Clear to cover and protect you work.
But being you have already ordered some createx standard transparent when you get your new Krome use the .3 needle nozzle set up
Reduce it 6 drops reducer to 1 drop paint to start @ 30 PSI .
Enjoy and post up some picks of those butt stocks and fore arms...Oh and make friends with Russ Alan on here is also paints firearms...:D

Hello and welcome robd from PA, you seem to be on right track. 99% of peeps that I have seen are very happy with the Krome. I use it's brother (Velocity) and like it very much. There are many that prefer the Iwata line from the Eclipse up to the Micron, and some are passionate about the H&S Infinity as well. It boils down to personal preference and affordability, best advise I could give is get the best you can afford. Any experienced artist will tell you this is NOT a " buy in steps" hobby/art, start with the best you can because by the time you replace a cheap one in most cases you could have bought a better one plus it helps to remove some of the pitfalls newbies encounter that are from inferior equipment. There are too many other things to learn, not be baffled by problems that could be avoided.

I am in Depoe Bay. Thanks for the tips folks. I think with the support of this site I am off to a good start.

welcome from honduras,hope you can call this place homes as i do!!!:triumphant:

Back