Hello from the newbie!

A

Anthony L

Hello All,

I figured I would just plot something down here and introduce myself! I am VERY new to the airbrush scene, and I am very excited to start working on some paints! I have been looking into this for quite some time, and even debated quite a lot. But, alas, the temptation kicked me and I bought my first thing! Though, it may not be the best, but it was VERY affordable and I have heard a great number of reviews on the MAS Starter Kit. Has a small Air Compressor that starts out at 15 and tops out at 25 PSI (Good? I have no idea...), an airbrush (I think I will need that.) And a hose.

Now, I know I will be resorting to this site quite a bit (Using Google to find this) and will be asking ALOT of questions as to Paints, thinners, future upgrades, and possible techniques that you fine group of artists (I am not brown nosing!! I just want help!) are willing to give me.

So, that is all that I have for this. Let the replies begin! (Maybe??)

Hey Anthony welcome aboard from New Zealand, what part of the world are you in? Congratulations on posting in the intro's first!! Many don't... an auspicious start. OK, paint wise, make sure it is real airbrush paint... paint and brush, two places not to skimp... as you've already got the brush we can deal with that over time. There are plenty of good paints around, Com-art or Golden High Flow are great paints, as is Createx Illustration. Get a water based one, easier to learn with and keep clean. Practice on ordinary paper... worry abut flasher stuff as you begin to learn. Best thing to do at the moment is learn the 6 critical shapes... dots, lines, daggers, blends, reverse daggers and transitions,. There are a whole heap of great video's, write ups, etc at the airbrushtutor website, go there. There is a HUGE wealth of knowledge here so do a search on the topic first, then ask. The manufacturer has a whole heap of useful information as well, don't forget them, they know their product. Look forward to seeing how you go... :)

United States is where I reside, and right now, lightning and thunder! (Making me sleepy...) I am aiming particularly into the Model painting aspect of the airbrush world. (I forgot to add that!) So, I will be dealing Heaps in plastics and some metals. But, I have seen a few tutorials on YT that gives a good run down on how and when. And who knows? This may also lead into other things outside of the Model world!

United States is where I reside, and right now, lightning and thunder! (Making me sleepy...) I am aiming particularly into the Model painting aspect of the airbrush world. (I forgot to add that!) So, I will be dealing Heaps in plastics and some metals. But, I have seen a few tutorials on YT that gives a good run down on how and when. And who knows? This may also lead into other things outside of the Model world!

Welcome to the forum Anthony, you'll find no end of help here when you need and you won't find a friendlier bunch.

I had a little look around for the starter set you mentioned, from what I could find, I'm assuming the kit you got has A master airbrush with a little black portable compressor? if this is the one while it will get you started you can expect it to give some grief very soon, although if the price of $49 for the whole set I saw is what you paid for it that isn't such a great loss although you could have a few bottle of decent paint for the same money, I'm afraid if you use vellejo or Tamiya paints as many modelers do, your little compressor wont be able to keep up with it since they may require higher pressure than that little thing can provide.

Should you decide to upgrade later and you find items that take your fancy, don't be afraid to run these by the guys here before you purchase so that we can make sure you are getting a good deal and the right stuff, as a starting point, Badger airbrushes seem very popular with modelers and these being a decent brand name with excellent after sales service, they are very reasonably priced, if money is not too much of an object you can also look at Iwata lower range brushes such as the Iwata eclipse they don;t cost too much more than say a top of the range badger but will give ultimate performance for what you want to do.

As for compressors, on the site I saw your kit they had a little membrane compressor that would have given you a little more oomph and would handle the most commonly used model paints very well, I have one of those with a little three liter tank which around 80 dollars US and has never let me down.

Anyway, have a good look around and just shout if you need something :)

Hi Anthony, welcome from the yk. The guys above have got you covered advice wise so far, but don't be shy about shouting out any questions.

There are quite a few model guys around, so hopefully you'll find some kindred spirits. Plus as many of us have found, once the airbrush bug bites, everything starts looking like a canvas.:D

Welcome from Washington State :). I started with the interest in airbrushing scale models but quickly migrated to fine art, so all I have to say is follow your desires whatever they may be and enjoy the ride my friend.

Thank you all for such a warm welcome! So, as stated earlier, models will be my primary focus, and was told with the right amount of thinning, I could use Citadel paints. Wondering, has anyone used these before? I have used them with just a regular brush and I really do not want to ruin my airbrush on the first run.. Lol

If its not airbrush specific paint, its going to give you issues. The pigments are much finer, and thinner doesn't help with that. The gun is going to block much easier, and fine detail will be almost impossible as you will need higher pressure. As a learner, there is enough to think about, and the wrong paint will only make life harder. Hopefully some modellers will point you in the right direction, maybe start a thread on the subject :)

Welcome to the forum Anthony! Looks like my friends have given you a good start on advice. Once you start off, you might find it frustrating to get the right reduction, psi mixture. But don't give up on it, you will get it and once you do, you'll be painting everything in sight. :)

Welcome from Australia @Anthony L
as has been said, your brush will be a starter, for how long is the question. Like many I bought the cheapy just to see if I liked it or more importantly if I could do it. I was hooked after my first session. Although that brush is now long gone, it taught me heaps. mostly how to do a full tear down to clean it.
In hindsight it was a bit like trying to paint a house with a yard broom..... not the best tool in the shed, but got me started.

enjoy your journey, we are here if you need us.

Sorry about the long absence. I had a slew of sicks this past week, so it really took me down alot. And Monster Hunter Generations, but thats besides the point. I had a first session, and a local artist hooked me up with an acrylic thinner for me to use on regular Tamiya paints, so I got a few colors of that. Of course, the basics, then a nice Royal blue, and a darker blue, which I forget... But, took a scrap WH40K piece, and just doodled on it. In which it is soaking in water/bleach mix to strip all that paint off... But all in all, it was to get a feel for the gun, which IMO, is awesome.

If its not airbrush specific paint, its going to give you issues. The pigments are much finer, and thinner doesn't help with that. The gun is going to block much easier, and fine detail will be almost impossible as you will need higher pressure. As a learner, there is enough to think about, and the wrong paint will only make life harder. Hopefully some modellers will point you in the right direction, maybe start a thread on the subject :)
In due to this, I am not going to be doing fine details for quite some times. I am going to mostly still use brush for the finer details, but pre-shading and larger surfaces, will be the air brush :)

Welcome home Anthony
I would suggest a compressor that can go higher on the PSI , Why because everyone can use a good compressor for things like airing up a low tire or blowing out your computer case .
and one that can drop down to 5osi due to after you start learning more and get more control over the airbrush you can dial down the PSI and really go in for some tight detail .
While I understand not spending big money on your first airbrush ( I will always suggest you buy either Iwata or Badger or and H&S) mainly named brands vs the china knock offs , Due to it is a lot easier to learn on a good airbrush then a so-so one.
But I also understand budgets and being worried about not likeing to do it after you get everything you need.
But things to keep in mind when buying your equipment is what is your end goal?
T-shirts , canvas, wall murals , body painting, automotive (anything metal ..IE computer cases , mail boxes , motorcycle tins) or anything that you can paint.
why I say this is because most t-shirt artist use bottom feed for faster color changes, every thing else is more what fits your style of painting.

Back