Hello from thr Great State of Mississippi

G

Gary1290

After retiring from 22+ years in law enforcement I was able to pick up my favorite hobby which competition shooting. One thing led to another and this year I built my 1st long range benchrest rifle. Some of these rifles have beautiful stocks with super nice paint jobs and some have really nice art work. After finding out what the cost was to get the stocks painted, and being on a cops pension, I had to learn to do it myself.

I'm far from being an artist but I'm learning some tips and tricks and I'm improving. I've done two of my own rifles now and I'm getting ready to do one for a friend of mine.

I'm also going to try some fishing lures. That looks like fun, I believe I can do it, and down here I might be able to make enough money to buy more airbrush stuff.

Welcome from Australia.
We have lure makers/painters here so when you are ready just ask away :)

As you progress everything will start to look like a potential canvas lol

Welcome from Indiana. You should post some pics of the pieces you've done. Thank you for your many years of service as an officer.

Welcome from Australia.
We have lure makers/painters here so when you are ready just ask away :)

As you progress everything will start to look like a potential canvas lol
Thanks, and you are right. I walk around looking for things to paint.

Welcome from Indiana. You should post some pics of the pieces you've done. Thank you for your many years of service as an officer.

Here is a pic of the 1st one. This is House of Kolor candy purple over medium metallic silver and clear coated. I didn't know that candy purple is one of the hardiest paints to spray. Getting it even was hard and it ended up darker than I wanted. I had to take it to the ceiling color to get it even. And WOW, that HOK Kandi is $71 per pint. However, I ordered and paid for a pint but was sent a quart. I have plenty left for touch ups and other projects.
Sorry, I had to crop it hard to get it to upload.
20190524_182720 (2).jpg

That turned out really nice

Thanks, and the clear was sprayed with a 1.4mm tip regular spray gun. Just a cheap one, C&H I think. House of Kolor recommends the show clear not be sprayed with an airbrush. I tryed it with a Paasche airbrush with a .66mm needle and a fan tip. I just couldn't get enough air. I'm looking at some larger compressors now.

Thanks, and the clear was sprayed with a 1.4mm tip regular spray gun. Just a cheap one, C&H I think. House of Kolor recommends the show clear not be sprayed with an airbrush. I tryed it with a Paasche airbrush with a .66mm needle and a fan tip. I just couldn't get enough air. I'm looking at some larger compressors now.
That's on my list to get once enough funds from artwork come in...got a small tankless compressor I use now but overheats like crazy. Got a small tank compressor my neighbor made from an old fridge compressor. Super quieT but still wouldn't run an hvlp gun for long..I outsource my clear to a collision shop in town.

That's on my list to get once enough funds from artwork come in...got a small tankless compressor I use now but overheats like crazy. Got a small tank compressor my neighbor made from an old fridge compressor. Super quieT but still wouldn't run an hvlp gun for long..I outsource my clear to a collision shop in town.

A friend on mine has a farm about 45 minutes north of me. He replaced a craftsman 11 gallon with a bigger unit to run his air tools. He said when he took it out of service it seemed like the motor was going bad. I hope it's just the start and run capacitors that are bad. A new motor cost about $245 and I can get a nice compressor that can handle all of my airbrushes at the same time for that.

I've been working on electronics for about 40 years as a hobby (and extra $$$) and when I get up that way, hopefully later this week, I'll check them. He said I can have it. :)

Do you have any pics of your artwork uploaded here? Never mind, I went to your profile and looked there. Real nice work. I wish I had some artistic ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend on mine has a farm about 45 minutes north of me. He replaced a craftsman 11 gallon with a bigger unit to run his air tools. He said when he took it out of service it seemed like the motor was going bad. I hope it's just the start and run capacitors that are bad. A new motor cost about $245 and I can get a nice compressor that can handle all of my airbrushes at the same time for that.

I've been working on electronics for about 40 years as a hobby (and extra $$$) and when I get up that way, hopefully later this week, I'll check them. He said I can have it. :)

Do you have any pics of your artwork uploaded here? Never mind, I went to your profile and looked there. Real nice work. I wish I had some artistic ability.
Yeah I got some. Mostly on threads because the file sizes are too big to post into my gallery until I change the sizes

Welcome Gary. Sounds like you know what you’re chasing, and that’s a great start. Hope you enjoy your time with us here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Gary1290 I showed my wife your picture of that rifle because she not only loves guns, but absolutely loves shades of purple that color.. she really likes that rifle too, thought you did an awesome job painting it

Back