Hello from Toronto.

Mike Olympos

Young Tutorling
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to properly introduce myself to the forum. I’ve been reading a lot of the posts for the past few months and have been really enjoying all the insight and tips I’ve gathered from the members. I’m reintroducing myself to airbrushing. This site has quickly become a very valuable resource.

Hope you all don’t mind a little backstory. When I was a kid in the early 80’s I was heavily inspired by the work of Chris Achilleos and H.R. Giger and they both made me want to pick up an airbrush. I slowly acquired a collection of how to airbrush books even though I didn’t own one. The real culprit was the compressor, they were not only out of my price range but my parents definitely didn’t want me to bring them into our apartment. So one day when I was at a store on vacation I came across a kit that had a badger 200 with one can of compressed air and I had just the right amount of money to buy it. I found out really quick that the air didn’t last very long. I also went to a high school that specialized in the visual arts and I was so excited to find out that we had an airbrush. I soon realized that the compressor was so incredibly loud and distracting that I got fed up and just called it quits right there and then.

To make a long story short I decided to come back full circle once I found out how much quieter compressors are these days. I picked up a tiny California air tools compressor and purchased a bunch of airbrushes (when I get into things I really get into things). And now I’m ready to begin my new journey with airbrushing. So please bare with me and all the stupid little questions I might throw at you guys like why do some Japanese airbrushes have a tiny little screw on the underside of the body between the air valve and the handle?

I’m really looking forward to getting to know a bunch of you. Oh, and Mr DaveG are you planning on putting out a book on airbrush repair and or a history of airbrushes? I feel like a whole bunch of us will line up to place an order.

Welcome from another Canadian, I'm in Edmonton, AB. The small body screw is used as a set screw for the needle chucking guide, typically you have to loosen it to remove your needle chucking guide from the back end of the airbrush. In other cases like on the NEO TRN airbrushes it sets the Main Body Ring (N1252) in place, hope that helps!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 7.50.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 7.50.41 PM.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 2
Welcome from another Canadian, I'm in Edmonton, AB. The small body screw is used as a set screw for the needle chucking guide, typically you have to loosen it to remove your needle chucking guide from the back end of the airbrush. In other cases like on the NEO TRN airbrushes it sets the Main Body Ring (N1252) in place, hope that helps!
I see says the blind man. I got my hands on an old Rich AB-200. I completely striped down the airbrush ( the insides were very dirty ), the only thing I was not able to remove was the small body screw. Everything else was fine. Gave it a good cleaning, tested it with water and it seamed to be working well. Because all the other components came apart effortlessly it didn't appear to serve a purpose.

Back