hello from Washington state!!!

D

dragonmane

just bought my first airbrush this week!! I was wondering if anyone on here has ever tried to airbrush on a candle b4? the reason i ask is, my wife has a candle company (small household business) and the only way i could justify buying a airbrushing kit was to promise that i would try to figure out how to do graphics/stencils on her candles...lol. So here i am today trying to make good on my promise. If there is anyone out there with personal knowledge of this please feel free to leave me a post. thanks dragon:sneakiness:

I'm not sure how that would work? The wax and grease are the 2 main things we try to fight against, because the paint won't stick to it...... But hey I may be wrong and at least you got an airbrush out of it, lol!! You could paint the candle holders??

Josh

I'm not sure how that would work? The wax and grease are the 2 main things we try to fight against, because the paint won't stick to it...... But hey I may be wrong and at least you got an airbrush out of it, lol!! You could paint the candle holders??

Josh
i know there are some mediums you can buy that will adhere acrylic paint to wax, but the viscosity of the medium seems a little thick... maybe i can thin it out with something, any suggestions on thinners for acrylics?

i know there are some mediums you can buy that will adhere acrylic paint to wax, but the viscosity of the medium seems a little thick... maybe i can thin it out with something, any suggestions on thinners for acrylics? BTW thank you very much for your response it is always greatly appreciated!

Acrylics are waterbased. But some people add things to the water to help it flow smoother. I don't know the mixture but someone else should be along shortly to add to my statements. Mr.Micon makes his own and has painted on every surface known to man and he should be able to help further. Give him shout by PM if he doesn't come through this thread, but he should see this.

Josh

ok sounds good! I'm already glad i joined this forum, you sound like a bunch of good peeps!!! =-)

Just so you all gain information , and I had to call a friend who does candles for a living and ask .

You base coat wax and soap with this Candle and Soap Stencil Paint Medium than put your art work on with any water base paint.

Never use urethane based paint when a open flame is involved ...

That is why I have been super busy the past few days.... Here I just thought the elves just like to hang and drink shine.....

Lol, I'm drinking shine as we type!!! Peach to be exact!! Gotta get rid of it before the wife gets home tomorrow, lol!!

Josh

Lol, I'm drinking shine as we type!!! Peach to be exact!! Gotta get rid of it before the wife gets home tomorrow, lol!!

Josh

I just have the cheap legal 13 bucks a mason jar from walmart of applepie, But hey it does warm the spirits up:D

I just have the cheap legal 13 bucks a mason jar from walmart of applepie, But hey it does warm the spirits up:D

What ever gets it done! That's really all that matters! Mine is pretty freaking strong and it looks like I won't get to finish all of it, lol!!!

Josh

What ever gets it done! That's really all that matters! Mine is pretty freaking strong and it looks like I won't get to finish all of it, lol!!!

Josh
lol this stuff goes down smooth but does have a kick to it.

Try Jacquard glass paints. They have adhesion characteristics for glass and more difficult to adhere to substrates. I do know an artists who airbrushes church candles - I'll try to find out what she uses. you can also airbrush small images/designs and affix them to the candle with small decorative pins. this is also one of her techniques as she uses lace outlines around airbrushed crosses that are the affixed to the altar candles.

Welcome and another hello here from Washington! Feel free to ask any questions and you have plenty of people here to get you on your way.

Back