Hello from Wisconsin

M

Mikej2

hello,

Probably 15-30+ years ago I bought an airbrush and compressor and managed to paint a few scale models and some fishing lures. I had plans of learning to airbrush some b&w prints that I was developing back then (hobby darkroom in the bathroom), but the tankless compressor had a puffpuffpuff effect with the paint and I eventually put it away.

Recently I found an Iwata HP-C airbrush in like-new condition at a thrift shop which has re-ignited my desire to learn airbrushing stuff. I have no idea where my old airbrush is hiding, probably next to the also missing airline. I did manage to find the old pump, a Passche with the only identifier apart from the name on top is a 110 rubber stamped on the bottom. In any case I plan to get a new air pump with a small tank and regulator, still figuring out what to get.

I want to do some painting with the airbrush of different subjects. I do some bicycling, have motorcycles, enjoy fly fishing, am wanting to learn guitar as well, and I still do some amateur photography (all digital these days). I'd like to do some detailing on bikes and cycles, maybe doctor up fishing lures (just for grins), and if I can get some artistic skills up enough maybe do some paintings to hand on a wall.

Currently like in Wisconsin, but originated in the Pacific northwet and came here after an extended stay in California (south for a while, then north after that). I've got a Bachelor's degree in anthropology and do CAD work for income. That's enough for now.

I tried to register on a different art/airbrush site but apparently they had some issue and rejected me, funny thing is when I went through their list of possible reasons why none of them applied to me except maybe having had a login there at some point in history. No matter, I guess I was meant to be here instead.

So I'm off to see what people here recommend for a quiet small tanked airbrush compressor. I guess I also need to look into a respirator mask and some type of spraybox with a sucker fan to pull any fumes away. I'm also interested in suggestions for setting up a spray area in a basement (in the winter) and a closed garage in the unfrozen months.

(Edit: apparently my phone browser editor typing jumped to the thread title somehow, oops. I wonder what other thumbo/typos there are.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Australia Mike. This is the only place to be. Lots of info and help available when you need it and lots of laughs along the way.
Have a look around and if you have questions then ask away :)

I fixed the title for you, hope that's ok :D

Hi from the UK Mike. You got lucky, I'm sure the other site is great, but we are the best :D Everything you need to know here, with some very talented people around happy to help and advise, or just generally pat on the back. No trolls here, so you can share anything freely, and show photos etc , and will get only constructive criticism. There may be a bit of gentle banter and threadjacking now and again - that just means you're part of the family, and its easy to get back on topic if needed. Take a look around, and use the search function as it may instantly answer any questions - but there is always someone around as we have worldwide members, so ask away if theres anything you need to know.:)

That is a great brush you found. I'm assuming as you want to paint inside, that you are planning to use waterbased paints?

Thanks for the welcomes, and for fixing the title.

I did a little searching around the site and am getting a better idea of what to look for in a compressor.

Let us know what you decide on, we'll soon let you know if it's fit for purpose.
Have you decided on what paint to use yet ? Createx wicked detail will paint on most surfaces without issue and being waterbased it not such a worry with fumes but a basic respirator and ventilation are recommend especially in an enclosed area like your basement

Rummaging around the basement and garage today looking for my old airbrush airline that I used with the diaphram pump. No luck finding it. Then went to several hardware stores looking for a 1/8"-" to 1/4" adapter and again no success. I even stopped at a Michael's art supply store and they at least had a hose, but I decided to hold off for now. I'll check at a HobbyLobby near work tomorrow to see if they have an adapter.

On a bright note my wife did find my original air brush. Turns out it is an Iwata HP-B (I had forgotten what it was). Feels a bit stiff so it needs a good cleaning and light lube, I'll visit youtube or vimeo before taking it apart.

I should probably be posting this all elsewhere on the site but will let it ride here. Instead I'll visit the compressor section and post a shopping question thread.

Thanks again for the welcomes.

Just do a search online for the connecter, probably easier. I have a tool shop near me that sells compressors, and got the part there, so was an easy one for me.

You can get these - from a uk site but so you know what's available -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01FQFFI3W/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1493067247&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=1/8 to 1/4
Another option is something like this, this is also from a uk site,but its just an example. It has 1/4 inch going in, then you attatch the air brush hose, and open and close the valve of the one you're using. You can get them in 2 and 4 versions too
https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Airbrush-manifold-6-outlet.html#SID=956

Just a couple of options.

Back