Hello, glad to be here!

P

Panorama Mann

Hello everybody! I just joined this forum. It's awesome! I'm really looking forward to improving my skills along with everyone here. I love the vibe and humor of this forum, too. Airbrushing is something I've wanted to do since I was a child. So I'm very happy to finally be doing it. I found myself unemployed for a long stretch and decided it was finally time to get started (the silver lining). I started by learning as much possible about anything to do with airbrushing. Then I built myself a silent compressor while I was waiting for my first airbrush to arrive. I've already got a tiny collection of brushes and it's amazing how different each of them behave (and misbehave). Anyway, I'll wrap up this intro here and look forward to meeting everyone!

Welcome home and 10000 points for your Dagr strokes signature LMAO

Okay guys watch out I just had a look at his profile and he is a lawyer .... :D
So does this mean we will being seeing more sharks in the water ?

Last edited:
Welcome home and 10000 points for your Dagr strokes signature LMAO

Okay guys watch out I just had a look at his profile and he is a lawyer .... :D
So does this mean we will being seeing more sharks in the water ?

Agree on the signature, too cool for words and damn clever too, we could have a new precision thread jacker on the team:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Welcome good sir:)

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Mr. Micron, don't worry, I only use my lawyering to pay for airbrushing.

I'll be sharing some pics of my--very newbie--practice projects soon. I still practice doing dots and lines every day, but usually just to warm up now. I've been working on eyes lately. By the way, at the moment, I'm mainly interested in developing skill in fine art and detail on paper. I'll share my airbrushing history in a follow up post, so this one doesn't get any longer.

Thanks again everyone! I'm already starting to enjoy checking out the pics of your work and projects. Great stuff! Cheers

Funny story about my first airbrush... I first started airbrushing using a Thayer & Chandler Omni 4000, which I got new on Amazon with a 10 foot Badger hose, big bottle of Badger cleaner and a full set of makeup (which I'll never use) all for $50. It all came as part of a mortuary kit! :thumbsup: Oh yeah, it even came with an instructional DVD on how to apply mortuary makeup.

After landing a couple more good deals on Amazon and Ebay, my airbrush arsenal included an Iwata HP-BC2 ($33, barely used), Iwata Revolution CR 4500 ($50, like new demo), DeVilbiss DAGR ($95, brand new, unopened Studio set), and Badger RK-1 Krome 2-in-1 with additional tip, spray regulator and needle ($125, brand new, still have to wait another few weeks before it ships, but I'll let you know what I think of it once it arrives).

These guns gave me a pretty good idea of the great differences among brushes. After playing with the Iwatas, I was unable to go back to the Omni. The Omni is a decent piece, but it's not great for what I want to do right now. The HP-BC2 is amazingly smooth and easy to control, but I don't really like siphon feed so I don't use it very often. I haven't had too much time to experiment with the DAGR because shortly after I got it I split the damn nozzle (a real newbie mistake on my part). Anyway, the replacement nozzle and a new needle arrived in the mail today, so I'm going to play around with it tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. From the brief experience I've had with it, I anticipate a lot of messing around with paint reduction and air pressure settings (I had a ton of tip dry to deal with, and I even had some issues when using liquid watercolors). I'm planning to use Com-Art transparent airbrush paint first. I'll shoot some Createx through it too. Moving on, I've found that I use the Revolution more than anything. It feels a little small and front heavy in my hand but I'm still able to get really good results with it. I switched out the handle with the HP-BC2 handle and it feels like a new gun. Very balanced now and much easier to hold on to. I almost never have problems or interruptions with the Iwatas, and the Revolution's large needle/nozzle allows me to get painting fast without having to tinker around with everything first in order to get nice results. The detail I can get from the Revolution is surprisingly fine, especially if I remove the regulator cap. So the takeaway I got from this small assortment of somewhat bargain priced brushes is that everything you read about Iwata ABs is probably true. They are all excellent, and they offer the user increasing levels of control and detail as you move up the various models.

In conclusion, I would have saved the most money and been most satisfied if I had just bought an Eclipse from the start. But, like many of you, I'm sure, I need to see for myself how different brushes work, and I'm sure I'll always be trying new brushes in search of the holy grail. All the while, I'll be using my Iwatas while the others collect varying levels of dust. From what I've read, I think I'll need to get an Eclipse soon. It seems to be the universal workhorse AB. I've thought about getting an HP-C Plus or HP-CH (or B+ or BH) instead of an Eclipse, mainly because I much prefer the trigger on my HP-BC2 over my Revolution's trigger (which looks much the same as the trigger on the Eclipse (and the HP Plus for that matter)).

If any of you would like to share an opinion about any of these ABs, it would help me a lot in making a decision. I would like to try out all of them, but I've got to keep my AB budget in check. I look forward to hearing from you!

One final note, because this is my first discussion on the Forum, I'm not sure this is the place for this long post about my airbrushes and AB history. If there is a better place for this type of subject matter, please let me know because I'd like my contributions to be as helpful as possible to others. Thanks again!

Welcome from Australia!
It's great that we now know what gear you're using, because if something should go bum up we'll be better able to get it sorted for you.
I would say that, like most of us here, you started out with bargain basement gear, then moved up anotch to find that airbrushes are much like any other item we buy.
You only get what you pay for applies so much to airbrushes.
Whilst you can get lucky, it's more often a fluke than not.
As for the post, if you really want to rant and rave about AB's, we got a section a bit lower down on the homepage for it.
Glad to have you join in and hope to hear more from you soon.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Mr. Micron, don't worry, I only use my lawyering to pay for airbrushing.

I'll be sharing some pics of my--very newbie--practice projects soon. I still practice doing dots and lines every day, but usually just to warm up now. I've been working on eyes lately. By the way, at the moment, I'm mainly interested in developing skill in fine art and detail on paper. I'll share my airbrushing history in a follow up post, so this one doesn't get any longer.

Thanks again everyone! I'm already starting to enjoy checking out the pics of your work and projects. Great stuff! Cheers
That is alright some of my best friends are lawyers , a couple judges and a lot of doctors too.

Hi Panorama! Welcome to the fold from the UK! Of all the kits I've seen a mortuary one is a new one on me LOL! That's going to be one heck of a unique DVD I'll bet! As you've already realised anything that comes in kit form is usually pretty lame, and I always recommend the eclipse. But everyone has their favourites for various reasons, and you're already seeing how weight etc of the brush is suiting you, so I think you'll have no probs in finding something to suit you :) You'll soon be an AB magpie like some of the other guys around here.......oooooh shiney......want LOL! You know who you are!!!!!!!! (I would be if I could afford it LOL)

The one thing you didn't mention in your intro I don't think, is what type of painting you want to do. This could affect your choice of paint, and whether or not you need an HP-C+ etc or not (although need doesn't really come into it, more like want when you get addicted :D) If you're going to be doing fine art style painting/portraits etc, then com art, E'tac or Createx Illustration is more likely to suit you, the standard Createx is a fabric paint and meant for shooting at high pressure through a larger nozzle. If you want to paint on a variety of surfaces i.e canvas/board/fabric/automotive/leather or practically anything else you can think of, then Wicked by Createx is a great choice with the brand reducer. If you are wanting to do larger pictures then you can't go wrong with the eclipse, they have the ability to cover slightly larger areas, as well as really fine detail, if you are going to be mostly doing really fine detail and don't need that slightly larger space coverage, then a detail brush may suit. One of the reasons the eclipse is such a great brush is it's versatility, it can do it all - I use it for everything. But then I haven't used a really fine detail brush so have nothing to compare to - however my spare change jar is collecting cash for a micron as it's the only thing I think I would bother upgrading to.

Back