Hello

V

Visualfury

Hello everyone. I have been reading the forum for about a week and finally signed up. Became interested in airbrushing about 3 weeks ago, starting watching videos on youtube and ran across Airbrushtutors vids. I became hooked on his videos and used the video on setting up a work space to set up my space, turned out pretty good. First airbrush I purchased was a Badger Patriot Arrow 105. This airbrush has not allowed me to learn anything about airbrushing except how to troubleshoot your airbrush. I think I can pull this thing apart and put it together now blindfolded in less then 60 seconds :) Its going back to badger tomorrow for fixing. Brand new brush came with bad needle bearing, go figure.
Anyways, wanted to say hi.

Welcome!! Don't give up on badger, they are a great company and will keep taking care of you unlike others. I don't own one anymore, but I am about to get one on sept 31, lol!!! Seriously though, I will be purchasing one soon!! I have heard nothing but good about the company and service. I loved my badger but didn't like the siphon feed so I sold it, to get another gravity fed brush.
Hope they take care of you and we see some work real soon!!

Josh

We will see about the brush when I get it back, I went ahead and ordered an iwata and a cheap chinese knock off for now. Want to try some different ones. I was able to do one drawing, kinda, since I have never used an airbrush before or tried drawing a skull, it is rather bad. It is in my gallery I think, not sure if i uploaded it correctly. As soon as I got the badger working enough I brushed that skull before even trying the dots or lines exercises. Gonna use it as a kind of Benchmark to see my improvement.

You wont regret the iwata, I have 3 Iwatas and wouldn't trade them for the world!! Which model did you get? But I did like my badger and want another. As far as the knock off I have seen a few pieces of artwork that is tremendous, but only a few. And I have seen hundreds of threads saying they are throwing the knock off out the window while driving down the highway!!! I won't own one because of the old saying, you get what you pay for. I have thought about it, and even started a thread about the subject of "is there such a thing as a good knock off" nothing good came from that, so I didn't do it.
I will check your gallery when I get home, I am on my phone now and don't have that option.

Josh

welcome to the forum.
Never had a bad needle bearing just one that needed adjustment due to how things are shipped now a days. Hope you get it straighten out and are able to airbrush soon.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I ordered the Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH I believe, and the Veda BD 180 I think its called. From what I was reading the Iwata seems to be a good brush and I liked the MAC valve idea. I ordered the Veda because it was $30 and I wanted to see for myself the difference in quality. Plus it never hurts to have a cheap brush around to throw if you get frustrated. :) that way my Iwata and Badger don't get the chuck.
As for the Badger needle bearing, I dont know if its bad but it is definitely not working as intended. I am getting a lot of paint back into the trigger area and dripping out the back of the brush. I looked down the cap once while doing a blowback and watched all the cleaner get sucked through the needle bearing and out the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Krome and it wasn't what the reviews said it should be, I emailed KenBadger CEO at Badger Airbrushes and he emailed me back right away.
Apparently they had an overzealous employee assemble some airbrushes with the wrong parts and send them out to shipping without first going through testing. I was given this explanation with an apology and a new Airbrush was mailed out to me on Monday.
I am pretty happy with the response I got and the quick action to correct the situation, its not often I encounter someone who stands behind their product and so willing to correct an issue.
I posted this all up on another forum and a horde of people assured me that Badger Airbrushes stand behind what they sell and that I would be taken care of. Being skeptical I was still worried about it but now I have to say its true.
I am now a fan of the Badger Airbrush Company and tell you with confidence that when you contact them and let them know of the issues your having that they will make it right.
Mega.

I emailed there support and was told by Herman Robisch to send it back and he would look at it. I sent it off today but it won't get to them until next Wednesday so I probably won't see it for about 3 weeks. I'll let you guys know how out turns out when I get it back.

I just received my Iwata Hi-line HP-CH today. I don't know if I can actually even compare it to my Badger 105. All I know is right out of the box it was working awesome. I could paint a line that was one intensity all the way from one side to the other without gaps where the paint would not flow. The MAC valve is so nice for controlling the air right where my hand rests, and I can actually remove the paint from the tip without removing the entire cap. I had a blast just making dots and lines.

Good to hear it visual:) you will find a good purpose for your patriot once you get it working, but that and a HP-CH shouldn't be put in the same class as the patriot is designed for different purposes. If you're going for fine detail and reliability you won't go wrong with what you've got ;)

That is my plan, the patriot has good wide spread at distance, up to 3". I will have to see when I get it back what it is capable of. Can't go wrong with having more then one airbrush anyways :)

Welcome aboard from NY you won't regret the hp-ch own that and a bunch of other AB's I just dropped mine the other day fell right on the head. Don't ever do it gonna cost me almost $70 to replace.

I once bought a brand new Devilbiss dagr that came with a cracked nozzle and bent needle, only to have it replace by one with machine marks scored into the body not allowing the nozzle to seat. The response from the company was not great either, luckily the supplier was very understanding and I got a refund, and he took a loss. But I hear badger are better than that! I have an iwata now, and you can't go wrong with those brushes. Everyone has their favourites, but they are popular for a reason. Hope you get to some spraying soon!

I have been doing the basic beginning exercises, and was blissful in the ease I was experiencing. That is until today, I tried using some white paint in my Iwata, using Createx Colors basic waterbased paint. I have never been so dumfounded and annoyed. I could not get the white to flow properly no matter how much it was reduced. I kept getting blockages that would not clear until I opened up the brush full blast, and then it might flow for about an inch or I would get use to a very very small amount of paint coming out and start working with it and then BOOM a big glob of white hits my paper. Huge difference when using the black, all smooth and easy. I think i need to strain that white stuff.

I have been doing the basic beginning exercises, and was blissful in the ease I was experiencing. That is until today, I tried using some white paint in my Iwata, using Createx Colors basic waterbased paint. I have never been so dumfounded and annoyed. I could not get the white to flow properly no matter how much it was reduced. I kept getting blockages that would not clear until I opened up the brush full blast, and then it might flow for about an inch or I would get use to a very very small amount of paint coming out and start working with it and then BOOM a big glob of white hits my paper. Huge difference when using the black, all smooth and easy. I think i need to strain that white stuff.

I havent used Createx white but i know that alot of the other whites are a real pain to spray. I mostly get tip dry after every dot or line sometimes when i use Wicked or Spectra-Tex white.
Check your needle if there is a paint build up everytime when it wont spray good anymore. If so you have to gently remove it from the needle and it should be good to go again.

I was doing that as well, I was cleaning the tip after every line. Never could get it to spray "good", barely get it to spray at all. Even reduced 10:1 I could get a very diluted spray but that's when the big glob of white would shoot out of the brush after a little while.

White is notorious for blocking your nozzle (some brands are better than others), so check and make sure you don't have soom goop stuck in there. If you have remove VERY carefully. It is easy to damage a nozzle and expensive to replace one. I usually tease it through with my needle, don't force it, you don't want to flare the end of the nozzle, and don't scratch the inside of the nozzle. Some people whittle down a ****tail stick to avoid that worry (I'm just lazy!). Then put some cleaner through it. (Ammonia free windex is a popular choice.) Check with a magnifying glass brfore you put it back together. Then, next time you use your white shake it thoroughly and filter it before using. You can put a piece from some tights (pantyhose) over the end of your bottle, then do up the lid to hold it in place. If you do this you need to store the bottle upside down or else the filter will dry and be blocked and then you will need to replace it. Hope this helps, seems you were going great guns before this happened!

I'm using createx paints right now, the white sprays okay if you can reduce it just right. I've found I have to set the psi up a bit too and I can do fine lines but I gotta do em quick, after a few passes I clean the tip. It is my least favorite to work with though, especially for fine details.
I'm gonna try filtering it with the stocking though, that sounds like it will help.

Back