For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Helmet painting advice.

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks!' started by brushit, Sep 4, 2018.

1. brushit

brushit Triple Actioner

Hi, i have painted and sold many motorcycle helmets to satisfied customers. However, the one place i struggle with , is where the paint and clear coat come up against the glued on rubber trim around the helmet. I am really fastidious about my masking technique, but still get a clear coat build up against the rubber . As many of you would be aware , this is a notorious area for peeling. The paint and lacquer should go under the rubber of course. But any way of peeling back the rubber strip seems to be out of the question. Would appreciate any advice or tricks to overcome this problem. Help.!!
  2. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

Whats stopping you from peeling off the weatherstrip? it's usually not too difficult to remove
  3. brushit

brushit Triple Actioner

I think i tried on one, but it was stuck down really tight and haven`t tried since. Might have another go. Thanks.
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  4. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

SiRoxx and Ricky Spanish like this.
  5. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

I don't know anything about helmets, but theres just no beating the clean crisp separation lines of something completely disassembled for painting. Makes you wish you could buy things in kit form sometimes!
  6. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

The rubber is notoriously fiddly. Doesn't always go back on as it came off.. I taped mine up when i did my helmets.

Lee
  7. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

I think it depends on the helmet. Some of the full face ones are pretty complicated so I have just masked them off. No one has reported any peeling issues....so far lol. More traditional open faced (piss pot lids)helmets you can remove much easier. This style seems roundier (technical term lol) which may account for more build up by taped edges (my dodgy theory) so if you can remove rubber on them, I do.
    doc1 likes this.