Helmet painting advice.

brushit

Gravity Guru
Hi, i have painted and sold many motorcycle helmets to satisfied customers. However, the one place i struggle with , is where the paint and clear coat come up against the glued on rubber trim around the helmet. I am really fastidious about my masking technique, but still get a clear coat build up against the rubber . As many of you would be aware , this is a notorious area for peeling. The paint and lacquer should go under the rubber of course. But any way of peeling back the rubber strip seems to be out of the question. Would appreciate any advice or tricks to overcome this problem. Help.!!

I don't know anything about helmets, but theres just no beating the clean crisp separation lines of something completely disassembled for painting. Makes you wish you could buy things in kit form sometimes!

The rubber is notoriously fiddly. Doesn't always go back on as it came off.. I taped mine up when i did my helmets.

Lee

I think it depends on the helmet. Some of the full face ones are pretty complicated so I have just masked them off. No one has reported any peeling issues....so far lol. More traditional open faced (piss pot lids)helmets you can remove much easier. This style seems roundier (technical term lol) which may account for more build up by taped edges (my dodgy theory) so if you can remove rubber on them, I do.

x-acto knife and cut the rubber off from the shell gently. Glue again with cyanoacrylate, if you accidentally stain your helmet with glue just sand it and polish again. You can try windshield adhesive, epoxy resin and double sided acrylic tape for some parts.

Last edited:
Back