helmet painting

H

HadezToston

New to the airbrush and art and painting stage. I have been practicing a particular design I want to airbrush on my helmet. Must I scuff the clear coat before I airbrush it or can I airbrush over it and then clear coat over that? Using Auto Air Pearls for the project.

You'll need to scuff it lightly to get the paint to adhere. Scuff with 800 wet, if you want to be sure you did it right paint a small piece, stick on some tape and leave it for a couple of hours. If you can remove the tape without damaging the paint you are good to go

Hi, here`s my method. Remove ALL gloss thoroughly, with 800 wet and dry. A good clean with water and dry off. Apply wax and grease remover. Apply Auto primer. Apply a couple of light coats of auto clear coat. Just rattle can will do. The clear prevents any of your masking film glue staying behind when you lift it up. And believe me it`s a mongrel to get off. This is just my way of doing it and it never fails me. Good preparation can save many heart aches later on. Cheers from down under.

If the paint already on the helmet is good, then I just scuff, clean/degrease, airbrush and re-clear.

I've seen artists mist lightly a color on top before sanding. I white onto black helmet to help them see where they missed. I planned on doing this step with mine but mine is flat no clear so using just a scuff pad.

Idea is lightly mist with a color you can see so you are sure you got everywhere because you will remove the color you misted on.

I've seen artists mist lightly a color on top before sanding. I white onto black helmet to help them see where they missed. I planned on doing this step with mine but mine is flat no clear so using just a scuff pad.

Idea is lightly mist with a color you can see so you are sure you got everywhere because you will remove the color you misted on.

It's also to see imperfections. High spots shows firsts and low spots remains painted.

Hi there, i`m just a self taught mug , but have been airbrushing for quite a few years. I mainly paint helmets , and for what it`s worth , here`s how i do it.

First i thoroughly remove ALL gloss. Apply wax and grease remover. Apply automotive primer. ( optional) If your helmet is just the one colour all over

you may not need to. Lightly scuff, and give a couple of light sprays with spray can clear. The clear will prevent glue left behind from your masking film from clinging to your surface. Believe me, it can be a mongrel to remove. Airbrush your artwork. If using thinners based paint you can then apply wax and grease remover before applying clear coat. Some water based paints can not tolerate wax and grease remover . BEWARE, all it will do is stuff up your artwork. Then i apply my clear coat. I don`t buy all these fancy masking tapes. I just by low tack tape and cut my own thin strips. My over all method may sound like over kill. But it is tried and proven time after time and works every time for me, with no paint lifting or other problems. Good luck with your project. Brushahhh.

Thanks for info. I just dropped the fairing off for clearcoat.

I did have one issue the candy I sprayed in one area would wipe off with a damp cloth but didn't come up with a tack rag. Any idea why the candy didn't stick? Oh I did spray a light coat of intercoat clear after the candy cleared and it would still wipe up color.

Told my guy not to wipe over that area just to be sure.

Before you paint a helmet some research is advised. Many paints will damage the integrity of the helmet to the point of failure, mostly solvent based paints.
Here is a thread devoted to the question at katriders.com:
http://katriders.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-68576.html
I believe it is illegal in NSW and Queensland, and some Canadian Provinces.
I do know that professional drivers in the know will have their recently painted helmet shipped back to the manufacturer to have it retested before they wear it. I just smack mine with a mallet.

Before you paint a helmet some research is advised. Many paints will damage the integrity of the helmet to the point of failure, mostly solvent based paints.
Here is a thread devoted to the question at katriders.com:
http://katriders.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-68576.html
I believe it is illegal in NSW and Queensland, and some Canadian Provinces.
I do know that professional drivers in the know will have their recently painted helmet shipped back to the manufacturer to have it retested before they wear it. I just smack mine with a mallet.
I can understand you saying about research, but i have never had any issues using thinners based paints. Manufacturers would probably give you a straight out NO. Most helmets have a sticker saying some solvents or paints MAY damage helmet to cover themselves and that is understandable. Anyhow, i`ve had good luck so far and no complaints.

Total agreement, I've never had any issues either, the mallet must work. But I don't use high-end helmets either.

That rubber mallet sounds good. Have to get myself one to use on my airbrush when it`s playing up, or on myself when i`m having a bad day, knocking over the paint, or thinners , dropping ab on the floor, LOL. Have a good one.

Back