Helmet visor, need advice on how to clear coat.

B

Babbis iliadis

Hi all
I have a question to anyone that has done motorcycle helmets, if you have a design that stretches out to the visor, do you clear coat the whole area? even the masked one where you did not painted on? and just polish it after? am asking this since a large area of the visor is hydrophobic treated i have had problems stretching my design over the visor.

When you are talking about the visor, are you talking about the clear thing you look through? Perhaps post a couple of photo's so we can see where you are talking about...

When you are talking about the visor, are you talking about the clear thing you look through? Perhaps post a couple of photo's so we can see where you are talking about...

Hi markjthomson and thanks for the response.
Yeah i mean the clear thing you look through, as you can see on the pics i uploaded, i have masked the area where i don´t want the paint on, and the other photo you see the helmet when its done, the question that i am after is do i clear coat the whole visor and polish it down afterwards or just the area where i painted on? since the visor is treated the paint peels off really easy it wont get stuck on it even with surface primer on.
i could ruff the area where i want paint with some high grit paper and then paint it, but my other concern is when i take off the masking after i clear coat it, will the painted be sealed in or will it tend to peel off?

Attachments

• IMG_0338.JPG
    IMG_0338.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 31
I have never actualy airbrushed a visor (Eventhough I stress that after airbrush it should be considered a display object we all know they are going to wear it and I refuse to do stuff that will impair vision :p) so I might be rong here. In general though you will want to clearcoat the whole area you worked on. I wouldn't exclude the possibility that you'd damage the clearcoat when removing the mask when clearing it with the masking on.

If you want to keep it masked I'd use an exacto knife on the edge of the masked area's before removing it after clearing it.

As you can't realy sand it you'll always run the risk of the clear or paint not adhering and peeling off. When doing stuff like this I'd always advise to do a test before getting on with the "realthing". As you already painted it it will be just a case of choosing an aproach and see how it turns out :D

I know that some people actually paint on perforated vinyl and can then cover the whole visor. But that is not allowed by some laws. It's only for show.

But looking at what you've done, I'll just move the masking a bit away from the paint edge to do the clear. Then you seal in the paint and you keep the viewing area unpainted.

I refuse to paint visors, because of safety issues not adhesion issues.
However if you dont clear edge to edge you can expect a ridge.

Nada's idea of painting the inside is brilliant. For me, I wouldn't put any paint on the visor for safety or adhesion. I wouldn't scuff it either, you'll never get it optically good again. If it's just for show, clear away!

Back