help a newbie out..

A

aquabobcat85

hey folks

this might seem like a silly question but what would you recommend as a good starting selection of paints?
with all the variety out there ie.. transparent, opaque, candy, pearl, metallic...... im not really sure where to start!
i want to paint on metal and plastics and i know i will need to prep an prime them but after that does it matter what im using?
i understand the difference between opaque and transparent but what paint do i want for detailed murals an will that
need to be on a base coat like the metallics or pearls?

help....

bobcat :)

If you're in the US definitely give HOK (House of Kolor) a try, If you're in the UK or elsewhere in Europe try 'Inspire' which has approximately the same behaviour like HOK, but for a lower price (because no dangerous goods costs during transport apply).

If you want a water based paint, try Wicked or Auto Air, these can safely be sprayed indoors, no fancy ventilation needed. I would start with transparents if you are just learning. Opaques can be a pain in the beginning. Also make sure to get the recommended reducer for whatever paint you decide on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wicked from createx is a good all round paint, and to half answer the question, the extra pearls and metallics depends largely on your budget.
start with the primary set if money is a problem, candys are apparently awesome to play with, flouros aren't light fast, everything else is. I have a small set of flouros and they where awesome for space scenes especially if you have a blacklight around.

HOK is the best paints I like to use but everyone has their choice of paints. Are you looking for urethanes or water based paints. I cannot vouch for etac but I started off with reg Createx and if you can airbrush with that you can airbrush with any paints lol! I then switched to Auto Air paints. They're wb and have great transparents for mural work. I've moved on to the next createx line now which is Wicked paints. You can paint these on anything, I just did a garage door mural with them with no problems.

comart is really good for start no thinning on start soget that and price is good too

If you plan to use candies on objects that will be exposed to direct sunlight you would probably want to use uros. WB candies simply disappear within a couple of weeks in such conditions.

I think what your looking for is which type not brand to use and how to use it. With opaques they will be 100%. Transparents can very with the number of layers you put down. With say a light blue opague you will only that intensity. Where as a trans blue can get light blue to very dark/blackish. In illustration you will see the lighest color laid down as a base in opaque. The rest of your colors will be trans on top. I believe candies/pearls will have white or black base with the color on top. As they are more opaque but will shift slightly based on the base. I'm not sure about metallics. My first set had opaque white and black, trans. red, blue, yellow, green. Then I added to that. You might want to hit youtube and look for video's on each type and see how they apply it. If there is an expert out there that disagrees, set us right. I'm new to this as well.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Before giving my two cents , I have a question for you.
What is the area you will be doing all you painting in ?
If it is in a house , Attached garage , detached garage?
This will may the answers you get more suitable for the type of area you have to work in.

Urethane , While it has the best as far as Candies , ease of use , and works great on the material you are wanting to work on .
We still have to consider your health as well as your families health. You should not use urethane in a house or a garage that is attached to a house if it shares the same heating and ac system. the Isocyanates found in almost all urethane paint can be deadly ,
So proper ventilation , respirator mask area must for using them.
While Auto Air is a great product the candies are not a true candy but a pigment candy which means trying to do tru fire like you would with urethane will end in a muddy looking mess.
As I have said many times the more information we can obtain the better or more suitable the answer you will get .

Just some things to consider . I love seeing more and more folks getting into airbrushing but I want them to be safe and healthy while doing it.
[h=2][/h]

lol micro cot pretty big point there lol and i dident even know there were so many different paints and i love and use wicked paint mostly too

Hi there. Everyone has their favourites, and for many different reasons. Unless you have an outside area and excellent ventilation, etc, then I would probably stick to waterbased paints. Now what do you want to paint? That could affect your choice. For example, If you wish to pant textiles, then createx is good. If you want to do fine art, com-art (which can be used from the bottle) Etac, or illustration paints could be the way to go. A lot of people like Golden, or Trident too. I mostly paint motorcycles and helmets, so I use Wicked as it is lightfast, but also can be used on virtually any other surface, so if I feel like doing T-shirt or a portrait I can, however it isn't specific to any particular type of painting either, so if you are only going to do fine art, for example then something more specific would be better. So what you want to do will affect your choice, and also what is available locally, It sucks to run out and have to wait for deliveries

Whatever brand you chose, I would recommend getting an opaque black and white (and maybe red, as trans red can be pink until layers are built) , and transparent primary colours to start with. You can mix almost anything with this without shelling out loads of cash for a range of colour. And then the appropriate reducer etc, that goes with it. I pretty much still use this basic set up after 2 3/4 years of ABing. The only other things I have (but don't need) are a smoke black, which is more of a trans dark grey, a flesh tone - which I use as a base for mixing flesh tones, and a couple of effects paints I was bought as a gift. You can always add to your paints as you go along, and to start you only need one, but for a good set up, at minimal cost, this has worked well for me.

thanks guys a lot of great info there!

and as for spraying location it varies just now lol iv have a small workshop out the back im trying to get in better order so i can paint out there but i have been practicing control in the house with my water based acrylics. iv been watching lots of videos on youtube but i couldnt find out specific answers that i wanted so i thought i would ask the community.

i dont want to spend a fortune on paint im not going to need lol, i do have an artistic background and spent a lot of time in my teens doing graffiti and stencils but airbrushing is new to me and the paint choice is a little overwhelming lmao. i think i will get a set of opaque white an black an transparent primary colours and take it from there like rob and squishy recommend

cheers again folks

bobcat

edited... so waterborne is that safe to spray without a respirator?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys a lot of great info there!

and as for spraying location it varies just now lol iv have a small workshop out the back im trying to get in better order so i can paint out there but i have been practicing control in the house with my water based acrylics. iv been watching lots of videos on youtube but i couldnt find out specific answers that i wanted so i thought i would ask the community.

i dont want to spend a fortune on paint im not going to need lol, i do have an artistic background and spent a lot of time in my teens doing graffiti and stencils but airbrushing is new to me and the paint choice is a little overwhelming lmao. i think i will get a set of opaque white an black an transparent primary colours and take it from there like rob and squishy recommend

cheers again folks

bobcat

edited... so waterborne is that safe to spray without a respirator?

Yes and no , It is not toxic but you at least want to wear a dust mask.

Yes and no , It is not toxic but you at least want to wear a dust mask.

Just to add to this Herb, although it will not poison you, it can reduce the capacity of your lungs short or long term depending on how frequent you do it, so a mask is always clever even if you can't smell anything, as I see it, if there are measures available to protect you, why not use them and avoid the risk altogether?.

Back