HELP!! airbrush malfunction

N

nickmiale

I recently used my badger 105 and went to try and use it today but the pin to control the amount of air/paint will not let me press it down and when I turn on the compressor a steady stream of air continuous to flow out of the brush...what do I do? what is wrong

Well I would have to say you did not clean the airbrush.
But being you joined in November 2013 and this is your first post how about an introduction..(Yes I know I said I would stop asking folks for these but hey old habits die hard)

And way not really enough information to really help you with your problem
What type and brand of compressor?
So the air valve is stuck. How do or did you clean you airbrush?
If you soaked the entire thing in some type of cleaner you could have made the rubber seals inside swell up which is causing the valve to be stuck open.
How long have you been airbrushing?
Where are you from?
See so many questions you have not answered to really get the help you need.

Agree with herb, stuck air piston, or bent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alright sorry, my name is nick im from PA.. I have a badger 105 patriot and have only been airbrushing for a few months. It is not my compressor I don't think, my pin to monitor the airflow/paint just sits in the slot without be being able to push it down and when I turn the compressor on it immediately starts pumping air out of the nozzle of the airbrush without me being able to stop it. I clean it everytime I use my brush and I do not soak it in any cleaner I just use bristles, paint thinner, airbrush cleaner qtips and tissues...How would I fix stuck air piston?

I have never had to break down the air valve on mine, but here is a picture of the parts.
Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 11.26.31 PM.jpg

Here is a video that may help also.
[video=youtube;i67L7BQGTqw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67L7BQGTqw[/video]

Hi Nick, it does sound like you have a bit of paint preventing the valve under the trigger from turning off. Jagar's vid should help you come right, remember that any thinners or acetone will damage rubber O'rings, so do be careful leaving things to soak.

Thanks guys! I cant seem to get the part to open for me! ive tried pliers but it just didn't seem to budge

alright sorry, my name is nick im from PA.. I have a badger 105 patriot and have only been airbrushing for a few months. It is not my compressor I don't think, my pin to monitor the airflow/paint just sits in the slot without be being able to push it down and when I turn the compressor on it immediately starts pumping air out of the nozzle of the airbrush without me being able to stop it. I clean it everytime I use my brush and I do not soak it in any cleaner I just use bristles, paint thinner, airbrush cleaner qtips and tissues...How would I fix stuck air piston?

Is the Patriot 105 designed to cleaned with paint thinner?

ya every video I have seen has used paint thinner and I haven't had a problem with it until now and ive used thinner the entire time.

ya every video I have seen has used paint thinner and I haven't had a problem with it until now and ive used thinner the entire time.

When you say "paint thinner" I do hope you are using the brand specific "reducer" and not house paint thinner because it will destroy seals in a heartbeat.

Except for the rubber o-rings around the head and handle, Badgers are 100% solvent proof. It will not affect the teflon seals inside at all. So go ahead and use lacquer thinners to clean. Just don't breath in the fumes and do not spray on plastics.

When you say "paint thinner" I do hope you are using the brand specific "reducer" and not house paint thinner because it will destroy seals in a heartbeat.
When you say seals do you mean O-rings? Just wondering. Im not familiar with badger but if its anything like one of my many Iwatas just shoot down a drop or 2 of ab lube before you put the trigger back in.

Thing is how are you cleaning it? Soaking the entire airbrush in the paint thinner?
Yes when the videos say paint thinner they are referring to the thinner made for the paint they use and not just urethane paint thinner..
If you have soaked the entire brush in a chemical paint thinner then you have destroyed the rubber o-rings in the valve body. or at least have them swallow to a point it will not allow the valve to close.
Badger does have a warranty where you can send it back to them and they will fix it. But if it is damage due to improper use or cleaning you will be charged for parts and labor.

Can't remember the amount of times I've done this too my brush LOL..Thinners is fine, I just use everyday auto thinners, have left my gun in their until the liquid actually evaporated off (I forgot it was in there LOL) and often soak for more than I should but its often easy enough sorted.. OIL LOL...Orings, even solvent proof ones as the badger does have tend to swell when soaked in thinners, most orings in whatever liquid will to a small degree but that small degree isn't good in an airbrush..If I do oversoak my airbrush to this point, all I do is let the buggers dry for a day or two (It tends to go back to normal size) and drop some pnuematic oil in there, work the piston up and down a bit to lubricate and normally off she goes again..been doing that to this same gun for near ten years now and the orings even though they hate me probably still work fine..

Oh and yer the valve can be a bugger to get off the first time..Normally will loose some chrome in the outcome LOL

Back