HELP!!! I need to fix solvent pop (pinholes)

A

Alaskatazdvl

I have clear coated a couple of helmets and got what I have discovered is solvent pop. (These tiny white pinholes in my clear coat). Anyone know the best way to fix this? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

Really depends on how bad the solvent pop is. If it's just a few areas then wet sand until out then re clear and slow down and let the chemicals do their job lol. If it's all over and really bad, then it may be actually trapped in the base coat and will require repaint. That's extreme but I've seen it before and it's not pretty. I had to redo a 20 ft drag boat because of "dude owes me a favor and will clear it" and proceeds to pound on the clear in heavy coats and no break between passes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Really depends on how bad the solvent pop is. If it's just a few areas then wet sand until out then re clear and slow down and let the chemicals do their job lol.

It isn't really bad. It just looks like a bit of white specks all over. Not real thick I was actually tempted to leave it lol. The job it is on is a cartoon design and it kind of works but I don't like when the light hits you see the pinholes.

Thanks for the tip, that is kind of what I had found online too.

Basically, sand them out and reclear. This time, use a slower reducer/activator, and give it plenty of time between THIN coats.

I know this because I have had to sand those things out so many times, you'd really think I would have learned quicker. I still have to constantly remind myself to keep the coats THIN when clearing.
Also, actually doing some tests and watching the clear flow out, you can get an idea of what a good coat is going to look like as you spray it. Use a scrap piece of whatever, and see how little you can spray a spot and still have it flow out smooth.

Then, if you're like me, you'll forget all of that when you actually do it.

Back