Help NEEDED!

jord001

Air-Valve Autobot!
Hi Folks, i need a little help. Well actually a lot!

I'm trying to help my mate paint a predator suit (from the movie). The suit is made from latex rubber so the paint needs to be flexible so it doesn't crack. Has anyone had experience of painting on latex? I have found out that i should use this stuff called Pros-aid as a primer which is a glue that is used for applying prosthetic's and false beards, noses etc and its water proof so that makes sense. As for paint i'm not sure, I thought about spectra-tex as its also a fabric paint so must be flexible right? Or mixing paint with liquid latex BUT i doubt if that would go through the airbrush. I do have a couple of spray guns so they may be an option.
Finally i need to give it a waterproof and crack proof clear coat of some kind to stop the paint coming off. This is another sticking point. What could i use?

Still doing some research but thought i'd ask here first since it's my airbrush home. I have a scrap hand to practise on so will start very soon, well as soon as i have more info.

Thanks in advance for any help. I will be posting up any information i find and the findings from my actual painting outcomes for future reference.

Lee

Pax paint
First, let's talk about the Pax Paint Itself.
Pax Paint is 50/50 Mix of Pro-adhesive or
Pros-aide and standard Acrylic paint found at
most art stores
Pax is the paint that my daughter and her friends use on their cosplay costumes . But from the sound of it you can mix any Acrylic paint to the Pro-aide and it should work fine.

here is what the wiki says about it http://fx.wikia.com/wiki/PAX

Pax paint
First, let's talk about the Pax Paint Itself.
Pax Paint is 50/50 Mix of Pro-adhesive or
Pros-aide and standard Acrylic paint found at
most art stores
Pax is the paint that my daughter and her friends use on their cosplay costumes . But from the sound of it you can mix any Acrylic paint to the Pro-aide and it should work fine.

here is what the wiki says about it http://fx.wikia.com/wiki/PAX

Thanks for the info MM watched the video and yeh hes not the greatest artist lol. I dont think his paint mixture is very sprayable.
Pax looks like the way to go or pros-aid and another brand of paint. I have a few brands which i could try. Going to order some pros-aid this week and give it a try. Don't have any money to play with at the moment so i need to keep cost to a minimum.
I've posted the question on a sfx group on facebook too, need to find out how to stop the paint cracking or coming off afterwards.

Thanks again for the info.

Lee

Don't know about the Pros - aid, but I have used Wicked to paint leather jackets, and it has held up very well to flexibility. I used createx matte top coat, which is for material (but I use it as a top coat for art on paper and board too) which protected it realy well. It should be heat set though, on leather I carefully used a hot air gun, but that might be a bit aggressive for latex?

Thanks Squish, I will keep it in mind and will still look further into the top coat. I have to make sure it wont crack or peel if stretched. Hopefully the sfx mask makers on facebook can tell me what they use. I think the PAX or Pros aide with acrylic paint like Herb said will be ok for the colouring its the top coat to make it waterproof i need to be sure of.

@Mr.Micron can you ask your girls if the pax they paint on their cosplay stuff stands up to water?

Lee

Yeah, I don't know about stretching. Leather jackets I've painted have survived being scrunched up etc, but they don't stretch, so don't know if that would make it crack. Hopefully Herb know the magic potion to use.

Lee according to them it stands up well being the last Anime con they attended they got rained on the walk over there and nothing happened to it.

Back