Help -- Paasche hose adapter hell!

horseflesh

Young Tutorling
The picture below summarizes my problem... How do I attach this Paasche hose to my compressor's 1/8" threads?

I got a brass 5/16" to 1/8" adapter at the hardware store, but the 5/16" side simply doesn't fit the Paasche hose. It locks up after a couple of turns. There has got to be some kind of thread specification mismatch. It IS a "compression" fitting, with the compression sleeve and nut going unused. Is that the problem?

I also have the Master adapter set, so I can put a Master 1/8" fitting on the Paasche tool... but when I do that, my H&S compatible 1/8" hose won't screw on to the Master 1/8" fitting!

My options seem to be buying a Master hose in hopes that a Master hose will fit a Master adapter... and my compressor. Or, I could get the adapter missing in the picture below.

What's the best way out of this pickle?

agoaWdx.jpg

It won't work because the adapter is a pipe thread (tapered) and the hose is like a nut(straight wall)Take the hose and the fitting to the Hardwear store and match them up

What tripped me up is I did go to a hardware store, used the test fixtures to verify parts sizes, and even got help from the crusty old plumbing aisle guy! Then I got it home and nothing worked...

You're talking to a guy who actually thought 2-by-4s were 2" by 4". I was in my 30s when I bought a 2-by-4 because I needed a 2" thick slab of wood. You can imagine my disappointment when I learned that "2-by-4" is basically a nickname for a piece lumber that comes in random sizes.

On this project, I actually had 2 problems that I did not understand... one was a size mismatch. Turns out the Paasche compressor end is a 1/4" fitting, NOT 5/16". Yet it FIT on the 5/16" test fixture, so I went with that since Paasche doesn't publish any specs. I assume the text fixture was worn out, or ... I dunno.

The other issue was that pipe threads are tapered, which I swear to God I didn't even realize was a thing until you explained it.

Anyway, I got the right adapter, got it all hooked up, and the system is holding 60 PSI without leaking!

Thanks for the help!

Now can you explain why I can't put a Master 1/8" QD nipple on a Master 1/8" thread? Hah. That's a thread for another day...

tl;dr I suck at hardware, and everyone should print the #$*@ fitting specs in their manuals.

You're talking to a guy who actually thought 2-by-4s were 2" by 4". I was in my 30s when I bought a 2-by-4 because I needed a 2" thick slab of wood. You can imagine my disappointment when I learned that "2-by-4" is basically a nickname for a piece lumber that comes in random sizes.

QUOTE]

don't know where you got that info....... 2 x 4 (inches) is a common size to lumber, its also a good size for holding a scrap piece in one hand and smacking the closest deserving body :D

The Paasche are 1/4" NPT, so you could use a 1/8" female to 1/4" male NPT adapter to use the paasche hose on your current setup. it will look something like this:
18to14.jpg

Though, looking at your tee, you could use a 1/4 male to 1/8 male and remove the union that is currently on the tee, something like this fitting should work, if you can find it at your local hardware store. (it doesn't need to be stainless like the one in the link, brass is fine for this application, and much cheaper too)

Good luck!

(Side note: 2x4's were 2" x 4" when they were rough cut at the mill, they are later smoothed and rounded, which results in them being approximately 1 1/2 x 3 1/2, if you can find rough cut lumber it would be the right size (2x4). You might need to goto an actual lumber yard instead of a box store though.)

Well seems you already found out it is quarter inch npt.
Yeah it would be nice if they were all the same.

The Paasche are 1/4" NPT, so you could use a 1/8" female to 1/4" male NPT adapter ...

Ooohhhh ... so my 1/8" fittings on the compressr, hoses, and H&S tools are straight, and the Paasche compressor fitting 1/4" is NPT? Wow. I never would have figured that out.

I did somehow end up with a solution, though. I have this:

http://www.cappusa.com/watts-lfa-738-pipe-hex-bushing

It does thread together easily by hand, and with Teflon tape, holds pressure. But the package says NOTHING about NPT-spec threads. So I still don't know if I have the optimum part, but at least I don't have leaks.

The picture in my first post is a little misleading, in that I really needed to connect to the 1/8" outlet on a moisture trap, not directly to the regulator. However, they are the same threads. In the end, it looks like this.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone. I will probably be back when I try to figure out why my Master adapters won't screw in to each other...

HJutkg0.jpg

Here's what I did, having the same sort of mind trying to do plumbing and thought if I had a certain size male I must get a bigger size to fit over.
After choosing what airbrushes I may be using, I called an airbrush supply place and had a guy set me up with quick connects for them to fit my Paache hose. He was cool even though I'm a old slow ball .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back