help! Skin tones recipe with Golden Artist series paint!

A

Ascension.Airbrush

Is anyone using Golden series paint? If yes... what is your recipe for skin tones..? I've always did my portraits in black and white, everytimei try in color, is always to pinkish, orange or brown... and after, my bottles of my original colors are almost empty..aarrgh!!
Thx!;)

There is no recipe for skin tones. Really matching any paint is the same regardless of color.
This type of question comes up a lot, and the real question is. "How do I match colors?"

Color has 3 properties:
Hue(color)
Value(lightness/darkness)
Chroma(saturation/intensity)

In the color wheel sample below is the round about area on the color wheel for a mid flesh tone.
Flesh tones are generally a base of white(which is why the color wheel in the picture is overlaid with a 33% white layer above it).
They average in the yellow/orange area but vary from person to person, hence there being no recipe for skin color.

ColorWheel Skin Tone.jpg
Above, the single black dot is the rough area where to begin, which is red and yellow.
A pure red yellow mix is at its highest chroma value on the outer edge of the wheel in the yellow/orange range.
To knock down the chroma, add the complement, which is a blue(ish).
Blue has a value that is very dark, so add it slowly until the chroma is where you want it.

I am working on a tutorial based on color, but it may be a while until I get it done.

I know this is not the exact answer you were looking for, but if you know how to match paint color, it doesn't matter what brand of paint you have.

Thanks Jagardn! Its helping me alot... i always tried to create a beige with a touch of light pink and made the mistake of using my shading grey for darker area. I guess i forgot what i have learned in school a long time ago about color blending. Im happy now, i'll will try to do my first color portrait for my next project!!;)

.... by the way, your paintings are insane! For sure i'll follow your suggestions!!

.... by the way, your paintings are insane! For sure i'll follow your suggestions!!

Thanks! I did artwork consistently for the first 20 years of my life, then dropped out for 20 years.
I really missed the creation process and the challenge.

Here is a thread I created a while back with some color matching tips. There are still other variables than described, but its a good start anyway.

http://www.airbrushforum.org/works-...5681-my-paintpal-tips-techniques-jagardn.html

Wow! Good tips you got there! I did 2 years of graphic design 9 years ago in college, i remember having classes on colors and the psychology of it. I lost a lot of what i've learned along the way since then...! And for the last 10 years, i did reproduction. I draw what i see, black and white ( 'cause i was lazy and its alot more easier for realism..) But skintones , damn!! I'll get myself a whole day just blending colors and get the right tones... ! Take a look of my painting that im workin' on right now! I kinda love the colors i put in the background to balance it a lil' bit! .. i just have to resize the photo and i will post it here..!
Byt the way, are you master at kung fu or retired student?;)

rsz_1rsz_img_20130823_231900_132.jpg

Its far from finished, but i just dont get tired of looking at it.. a warm effect but not to hot..!

Wow! Good tips you got there! I did 2 years of graphic design 9 years ago in college, i remember having classes on colors and the psychology of it. I lost a lot of what i've learned along the way since then...! And for the last 10 years, i did reproduction. I draw what i see, black and white ( 'cause i was lazy and its alot more easier for realism..) But skintones , damn!! I'll get myself a whole day just blending colors and get the right tones... ! Take a look of my painting that im workin' on right now! I kinda love the colors i put in the background to balance it a lil' bit! .. i just have to resize the photo and i will post it here..!
Byt the way, are you master at kung fu or retired student?;)

Crazy how much you forget when out of it for a while, isn't it.
Mixing colors takes time, my 4x6 paint pal picture took about 10-12 hours and half of that was probably mixing colors.

Still doing the Kung Fu, I am going toward my second level instructor as of now. Been doing martial arts pretty much since high school. :)

View attachment 18777

Its far from finished, but i just dont get tired of looking at it.. a warm effect but not to hot..!

Very nice piece! It's always hard to tell how the final piece will look, colors relative to it's neighboring color can change it quite a bit.
Are you going to be using opaque's or transparent for the skin tone, or sticking with monotone for the girl?

I actually started my current owl painting with a monotone underpainting with the intention of using transparents to tint everything.
I switched over to under value opaques and shifting the final color and value with transparent washes.

Hehe! Yeah.. especially when that period does not bring you good memories!! .. and i admire you for keeping up kung fu! I did ninjutsu-koga for 5 years, but i quit cause i didnt took the time for it and good i was poor at that time! I should get back to it since my master i the only real ninjutsu-koga traditionnal teacher in Canada. I even have the a tattoo of the old koga clan on the back of my neck. I've lost to many years now, i'll follow your exemple and get to it until there's nothing left to learn! Hehe! I just hope my master takes me back after quiting 2 times... !

Back