Help Wanted- Will Pay

L

luremaker

Hello
My name is tyler boyer and I own a very small fishing lure company called bonzai lures. I make handcrafted wooden fishing lures. Currently I have a website (bonzailures.com) and am about ot start putting my products on it. However I need pictures of my finished product on the site. I have tried to airbrush these lures but I am just starting out and I need pictures of a finished product now. I intend to continue to learn however my work now is not good enough to take pictures, and put them on the site.

So I was wondering if someone in this forum would like to paint them for me, I would also love it if they wrote down how you did some of the patterns for that would help me figure out how to duplicate some of the painting you did. I will pay, price in negotiable. I will provide all the lures and will pay for shipping to you and will pay to have them shipped back. I can be in contact so will know what im looking for. Really there are only 6 kinds of lures to paint with about 4 patterns each so a maximum of 25 lures. Most of the lures will have a similar pattern. I think this is probably about a weekend project. You may even be able to do it in one day. Please message me if your interested.

Not offering my services just a bit of advice. The buyer wants to see what they are buying. Suppose you sell a lure to someone, they expect to receive what they saw on the net. If someone is painting one or two lures for you and you photograph them, post the pro painted lures on the net, someone buys them, then you send them a beginner painted lure. they will probably never buy again.

Now I may have misunderstood your post and the above is complete crap but it is something for you to think about.

I have found when someones first post is help wanted , It means SCAM... No offense but I did read the same post on another site. But being he posted it a couple of days ago and has yet to come back and read the comments I have to stay with my gut .
One if your making hand made lures for a living you should know how to paint them by now even if it is with a hairy brush.
Two why are you selling a product if your work is not that good?
to many unanswered questions ,
Now if you want to learn to paint them yourself than you have came to the right spot. This is a great place to learn .

I have found when someones first post is help wanted , It means SCAM... No offense but I did read the same post on another site. But being he posted it a couple of days ago and has yet to come back and read the comments I have to stay with my gut .
One if your making hand made lures for a living you should know how to paint them by now even if it is with a hairy brush.
Two why are you selling a product if your work is not that good?
to many unanswered questions ,
Now if you want to learn to paint them yourself than you have came to the right spot. This is a great place to learn .

Ditto!!! Lol, I must say I was interested!! I like painting lures, and have some off the wall bad ass ideas for them, but I don't see how I could benefit profit wise if I paint the lure, tell someone else how to do my design and not get much out of painting them, let alone designing what could be the next "sexy shad" craze around the world and get nothing for it from there on. Also how can someone who can't do it tell me how long it will take????? Smells........ Fishy!!
LMAO, that was to easy micron how did you miss that little doozy of a one liner!!

Josh

Yup, I'm with the others... too many 'what ifs'.

If you are on the up and up, take the time to post what you can do with an airbrush on the forum and ask how to improve. It wouldn't be that hard to learn and fine tune spraying a simple pattern on something as abstract as a lure(it doesn't have to be a family portrait on the thing, just some general color shifts).That way you will be giving an honest representation of what you can offer, and it will be guarantied to be the same artist(you the lure builder) every time, for as long as the company is going. It is better all the way around if you simply learn to do it all yourself. Post a photo and get the ball rollin'.

First let me say i checked out the website. tyler seems to be on the up and up, but tyler it needs way more to it. even your spinnerbait section has no examples of what you can do. put some together and show what they can and will look like. nothing personal, but i am a fisherman first and then a airbrush artist, and i wouldnt buy anything from you because of lack of visuals. imagine you were looking to get your tourney boat decked out with some bad a$$ custom paint, true fire, splashing water, ETC. and you found my site and all i had on there was a written statement that said i could paint anything and all you have to do is pick the colors you want. would you trust me enough to pay for it not even seeing a pic of what i could do???? i know you are just starting out but i think the web page should have come after the product samples. im not knocking you just trying to help out a little bit for your sake, cause i love fishing and most on here know that about me. i would love to see some lures before any thought of helping you out with the painting!

Sorry Josh I missed the pun, My main reason for saying anything at all is because on the other forum his post is 3 days old and people have responded to it Yet he has not came back to the site and posted anything else.
Bloomington, Ill is where he is suppose to be located and I know a guy there who does nothing but paints lures all day every day.

Well with all our tips and insight he could run a decent little online business but until he answers and shows interest I'm saying scam!! Notice he said if interested PM me!! To secretive for me!!

Josh

i have this big long reply that addresses your concerns, however i wrote it and then i was logged out for time reasons, i copied and pasted to ensure that i didnt lose it, but then when i pasted in onto reply it said "error cannot post links, videos ect till you have posted a few times" i guess pasting counts as a link. so quite embarassingly i may even post on this thread randomly two or three times to see if that helps. thanks for your patience just know a real response is coming

1. alright two more posts to get me to 5, if it doesnt work i dont know what to do

2. still cant do this paste thing, do i need to retype it? is there a way someone can help me?

3. i understand all of your problems. forums are scary and you never know who is honest and who is a "scam as one put". to clear things up i want to say that i am just getting started on the lures as well as painting them. the lures have taken me 2 years to master. i am 22 years old and am about to graduate from illinois state university with a marketing degree. so with school, the lures R&D, and creating the lures for enough inventory i am booked.

@Mark- i understand that people want to get what they see. the patterns i have in mind are no where near complex. they are rather basic. the fact of the matter is my brother who designs my website needs time to get the pics up. i suppose that if i gave this project to an airbrusher it would take 1 month or more to get them back. that would be about late october. then he gets them and has to mess with the design of the website and we have to get file size right and i may have to retake pics. although i am a beginner and intend to continue learning i need these up by the first of the year and with practice i will be up to the patterns i have in mind by then. however till then i need some help considering i have school and production and R&D to consider

@Mr. Micron- yes i understand the realistic point of view. i can see how this is a scam. i did come to this forum to learn and get advice, however i first need a little help to make sure things are on schedule but i understand your view.

to your second post, my post may say "3 days old" on another site and have yet to respond ( i intend to check this) but i actually put this post on 5 different sites yesterday ( wich was sept 17, and as i write it is the 18th) i just need help, further more if you know a guy in Bloomington, IL that could help PLEASE HELP ME CONTACT HIM it would be wonderful help! i have lived here all my life but all my friends are my age and not into lure making or airbrush painting.

@seamonkey- love the punny pun (see i can do it too) if your interested in sharing your ideas i would love to send a few lures to see just how creative you can be. i can use them as promotional lures, future ideas, or as personal treasures that i could mount on my wall and wonder at my accomplishment (i know ego right?) but if your interested in sharing ideas i am too. further, if i like your ideas and learn to eventually duplicate some of them i would love to give you full credit. we could keep in contact and i am more than willing to give credit where credit is due. however im a while from crazy awesome color schemes. still a pretty simple operation that i hope to grow. but if your still interested tell me!

at your second post, i have to say thank you for saying im on the "up and up" it means a lot and gives me some encouragment on what i have worked on the last couple years. part of the pics i want to take are the spinnerbaits but i can do that myself. i have 8 or 9 major ideas on how to improve this site and pics are the start of it. i can take the spinnerbait pics but the crankbait and topwater sections im far from being able to create good looking, not great or uber like u guys can just good paint jobs. but again thanks for the compliments. again i can send you some pics of what your working on.

@properlystained- again i agree that i need to eventually put my own work on the site. but due to time constraints i cant afford that. i understand that airbrushing is tough skill to fully learn and i need pics sooner rather than later. i will soon put pics up of what i do. and im sure i will spend time on the site asking for advice. again, however time is crucial and i cant master this overnight. i thought everyone would like this humbleness :)

seriously i posted this yesterday september 17th of this year and just need some help. this way i can make changes to the website before the beginning of the year and launch new products. i appreciate all the input and interest and look forward to replies.

P.S. im also interested in several NERF forums (ya i modify nerf guns as well) and they only communicate through PM it seems so i apologize if i seemed "to sneaky" :) i will check this after i work tomorrow after i work so around 1030 or 11 tomorrow the 19th. thanks everone

4. Finally worked just needed to get to 5 posts

Finally worked just needed to get to 5 posts

I am glad you are not a scam but a real person. Next my friend in you home town will not do it because it would be straight competition to his business that he has ran for more years than I can remember , I think about 30 years now. But use to be a guy on KKL who worked with artool to design a set of stencils for painting lures. Not sure they went over well but maybe you could find a set by calling artool up and asking.

or check this place out
LURE STENCILS : LureLayouts.com, Fishing Lure Airbrush Paint Stencils Designs

Thank god your real, felt like I was waiting time talking to thin air!! Lol!! I would be interested in the concept and design of a few but couldn't tackle a bunch of orders. But a couple I design would be near to tinker with. You can pm me picks or what ever you want and I will share ideas, I would love to see some.
You really need to think about what your going for. Do you want to make the same style lures as everyone else or do you want to stand out! First novelty lures stand out and will get your name out there faster, I would like to try a couple to give you an idea.
The money is just not there to paint a ton of lures but I can help with some beginning designs for you to learn but the advanced ideas I have will take you some time. Also you better find blanks or you will eventually lose a finger if you keep carving by hand when orders start rolling in, lol.
Also go the route of "Reaction innovations" I think that's the name, they make the sweet beaver, and give your paint schemes off the wall names to make ten more appealing, and check out lockjawjigs.com and study how they present their lure in the pictures. I have bought them on just how good the pick looked, granted they are awesome lures but I just took a chance when I saw them.

Josh

Good luck with the adventure....I'm sure if you typed in airbrushed lures or just lures into images on google it would give you lots of idea's you could play around with...Being smaller items you may have someone show you there idea's and how to do such but you may still struggle doing such yourself if you haven't got a lot of gun experiance, no matter how well its explained..Pump out some practice time and I'm sure it woudn't take you too long to be coming up with awesome designs yourself..As to advertising others works on a site that doesn't sell such I think this could become a problem for you..If you can't replicate such, no doubt you'll get a lot of dissapointed clients..You make the lures so advertise blanks in that regard, suggest that the site will soon include airbrushed versions but I wouldn't suggest advertising others works unless your acting as a reseller for their lures which also could gain interest from other lure artists..If they have a point of sale like such a site, they may be happy with you taking a small percentage of the sale, in this sense you could fill your shelves and advertise such as that will be the product your client would recieve..Anyways, good luck on the venture...

Mr. Micron- i understand if its competition, however im only 22 and fairly new at this. if he would be willing to just talk so i could get a trick of the trade or two that would be awesome. im sure in return i could figure a way to help him someway, however if he is unwilling i completely understand and wish him nothing but the best, i just wanna learn. you may wanna mention that i plan on taking my operation to st. louis in january as that is where my fiance lives and goes to school. (thanks for the links)

seamonkey- anyway i can get an email, it will be easier to send pics and share ideas. im totally fine if you wanna be in a more complex role. i am acutally doing the Illinois fish and feather expo next spring and some awesome promo lures could help me and i will definetly give you credit. im looking forward to working with you anyway we can. (i understand that i will eventually lose a finger, its a risk im willing to take lol)

ace kustoms- thanks for the encouragement. i understand all your concerns and appreciate the advice. i hope any complex pattern will be mainly used as a promo, not pictured on the website. i also will learn exactly how to make the basic patterns i requested as so not to upset my customers.

thanks everyone for the opinions and help, not only am i getting help with airbrushing but also good business ideas!

Mr. Micron- i understand if its competition, however im only 22 and fairly new at this. if he would be willing to just talk so i could get a trick of the trade or two that would be awesome. im sure in return i could figure a way to help him someway, however if he is unwilling i completely understand and wish him nothing but the best, i just wanna learn. you may wanna mention that i plan on taking my operation to st. louis in january as that is where my fiance lives and goes to school. (thanks for the links)

I will write him and ask no harm in asking right. Worse thing he can say is no. But maybe I can catch him on a good day. So I will let you know

I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you will have enough control of an airbrush to just do it yourself. After looking at the lure stencils(which you could easily make your own, original designs), you shouldn't need outside painters. Make a jig to hold like 5 or 10 lures upright, spray a top color... flip em over, next color...grab a stencil and pick em up and start adding the details, bam!, you got lures. A little trial and error on metallic basecoats a couple fishing trips to see what works, and you have yourself a one man moneymaker.

Don't let the 'magic airbrush' intimidate you... you simply give it air and open the hole at the end so the paint can come out.

I sent a PM. But like I said, I want no part of production painting, just some prototype styling and the rest is yours. I do agree with Properly stained, you should try your self, you will be surprised how easy it can be when major detail isn't involved.

Josh

Have to agree with the others, if only from a practicle point of view. This is going to be your business right? So the less people you have to get involved, to rely on (with the best will in the world, peoples lives have a habit of getting in the way), and give money to in the early stages the better. (Hope I haven't annoyed anyone hoping to get a bit of extra cash!) I think you should start as you mean to go on, and learn to paint them yourself. I know you want to get the photos done so you can get up and running, but if all goes well and on opening day you get a rush of orders, you need to be able to do it yourself to fill them. Also, have you thought about how you are going to finish the lures to protect the paint? Will you clear coat them (many people do not have the facilities to do this - protective clothing, extractors etc) or could you dip them in resin or something!
Hope I don't sound too negative, I think it's great you are out there trying to make something happen for yourself.

Back