HELP!! What to buy

R

RobW

I am thinking about getting into airbrushing for painting small models and trying out some pictures. Longest usage may be a few hours a day practicing.

As i live in a 1 bed flat it will be used in the lounge so will need to build a spray booth of some kind as well.

I have seen some kits on ebay but i am unable to link to them as a new member. :( :(

Will need to copy and paste the numbers into the ebay item search to list them

370268372610 I am unable to make out compressor model.

The last 2 items are basically the same kit but one has some extras thrown in. What is the difference between a 18-2 and a 186 compressor??

When i get good enough i will then be in a place to upgrade to better compressor and airbrush, but that is way down the road.

Thanks in advance.

Also my 1st post here, so, "Hi all" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rob welcome to the forum.

I checked out your links, the airbrushes are useless, think about getting a neo for Iwata as your first brush, these are guaranteed and easy to get spares for, the compressor isn't too bad I have the same one but with a 3 litre tank, try to find this if you can.

You don't need to build a spray booth in living room, simply place you easel or work surface near to the window, and you can make a small plywood panel with a small bathroom extractor fan inserted to draw the over-spray outside.

It's less than a dilemma than you think.

I haven't bothered to look for links, because you haven't listed your location, once you do that someone from your location will help with that.

Good luck.

IMAG0061.jpgUpdated location.

I will be painting on top of the dining table and the only ventilation is a door to the kitchen and an opening in the top of the window and not top to bottom/side. Window is open as wide as it can due to external guttering. :(

Was looking at the 3 listed due to cost mainly but looking at about £100 all in (exc paint etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated location.

I will be painting on top of the dining table and the only ventilation is a door to the kitchen and an opening in the top of the window and not top to bottom/side.

Was looking at the 3 listed due to cost mainly but looking at about £100 all in (exc paint etc).

The problem Rob is that you won't save money the brushes in all of your links will cost you more in the long run, take the time to save for a known name airbrush, and maybe you can find second hand compressor and still stay within your price range, I believe you can get a neo for around fifty pounds in England, that leaves you fifty for your comp, definitely possible I'd say.

Have a good look through the forum in the airbrushes section, I believe there are already links there, and if you see something, run it by the guys here, they will let you know if it's good or not.

You can get a little inventive in your home to get your work as close to a window as possible, if your only doing an hour or two per day, you shouldn't have too much of problem.

Hey Rob, I agree with madbrush, it's a false economy buying one of those brushes, also, if you're a newbie you won't know if problems are a result of a poor brush, or down to technique. I haven't had a Neo, but they are aimed at people like yourself who don't want to splash out at first, but who need the reliability of a named brand. However, there is a company called Everything Airbrush based in Poole, Dorset who are a bunch of good eggs, and sell good cheap brushes. I still use one that I got from there which was one of my first guns. I have an AB-135A which I would recommend if you like gravity fed airbrushes, and I believe is only around £30.00. They have quick delivery, and when I needed to ask a question, were very helpful.

http://www.everythingairbrush.com/acatalog/Gravity_Feed.html

I would still try and get a branded brush if you can, but I know it can be difficult. Was airbrushing a year before I could afford mine, this was a good alternative for me.

View attachment 1727Updated location.

I will be painting on top of the dining table and the only ventilation is a door to the kitchen and an opening in the top of the window and not top to bottom/side. Window is open as wide as it can due to external guttering. :(

I've just noticed the photo, you can easily make a temporary extractor by that same window from an old cooker hood, even if it was in the middle of the room, you solve this by using a piece of concertina pipe, the same kind of thing you have on a tumble dryer and simply hang it out of the window, if you wanted you could also make a small booth for your models out of polythene sheeting and dowling rods.

Hi rob and welcome .There are some extractor fans with the hose included on ebay which would solve your issue .They are the type used for bathrooms with no windows .

Was looking at getting a hose and fan setup with a little booth to funnel the paint fumes. Been looking online and they mention to be careful on the type as it may cause a fire due to the gasses passing a possible spark from the wiring on the fan.

Was thinking about getting the vallejo model air paints, believe these to be water based paints so the fumes shouldnt be as bad.

Was looking at getting a hose and fan setup with a little booth to funnel the paint fumes. Been looking online and they mention to be careful on the type as it may cause a fire due to the gasses passing a possible spark from the wiring on the fan.

Was thinking about getting the vallejo model air paints, believe these to be water based paints so the fumes shouldnt be as bad.

If your working in the house, you should only be using water based, take a look at auto air colours, these suit your purpose and are a lot safer than cellulose or urethane based paints.

Hi Rob, yeah the problem of causing fire would be only when you use urethane based paints, but you would not want that smell anyway in the house as Madbrush already mentioned.
I used the Vallejo model air paints when i started airbrushing, but i have to say they do have some nasty smell to them for a waterbased paint though. But they say its one of the best
paints for models cause they stick pretty good. I believe the autoair that Madbrush told you should also be good for models and you can also have a look at the Wicked paints from Createx,
i have them and i made tests on a metal and they were sticking much better then my other airbrush colors. As far as it goes for the airbrushes you were looking at, i started out with such
a chinese gun, and it worked ok but after 2 weeks i bought myself a Neo for Iwata and it is really much better. One of our members here Snoopy bought a Neo somewhere in the UK for under
40 pounds i think im not sure now. But you should really invest a little more and get that gun.

Have been searching ebay for an as-186 compressor and a neo for iwata airbrush. cheapest AB is £44 and compressor about £80-£90. Have bids in on compressor at the minute sitting in the £20's at present but a couple of days left yet :(
Ordered extractor kit so guess im now on my way lol

Thanks again all for the adivce

I'm with the others, if you can, try to get a decent airbrush to start with. At least get one that is recommended by someone who's tried it, like Squishy suggested. You get what you pay for with airbrushes, and it's one of the few industries that brand name does mean something.

And welcome to the forum.

If your working in the house, you should only be using water based

LOL, I agree but water based don't equal safe (Just have a look at a few MSDS's for some of the major brands) :)...Been mentioned above but its pretty easy to rig a exhaust system and I wouldn't worry about sparks and such, hell I don't know meself if I aint using a cigarette as a filter when painting water based or uro's LOL, havent blown up yet ;)..Be wary, painting in a small area without a good exhaust system will cover everything in paint dust, been there and done that till me missus kicked me out into the shed LOL, and pissing ya missus off is more dangerous than paint fumes :)

Good luck mate and welcome along..

I know your concerned about ventilation etc. i was worried when i got my first kit. But like people have mention when using your water based paints its not so bad as you think.
i brought my things from www.everythingairbrush.com, and yes they have been great to me. I found that www.graphicair.co.uk do a near as damn it the whole range of iwata brushes and the prices are a couple of pounds cheaper too on some. the Neo is £50 from them and their delivery is pretty fast also. good luck on your bid!

have now purchased the compressor and a neo AB. Not as cheap as i would of liked. Why cant people stop bidding on the items i want???? :( :( lol
Just waiting for them to arrive so hopefully Wed/Thu this week and painting by the weekend. :) and my 1st masterpiece by the year 2030 :)

Will post up pics at various stages of my learning curve just to show you all out there how c**p i am. lol

have now purchased the compressor and a neo AB. Not as cheap as i would of liked. Why cant people stop bidding on the items i want???? :( :( lol
Just waiting for them to arrive so hopefully Wed/Thu this week and painting by the weekend. :) and my 1st masterpiece by the year 2030 :)

Will post up pics at various stages of my learning curve just to show you all out there how c**p i am. lol

Good news Rob. you won't be disappointed with the brush.

have now purchased the compressor and a neo AB. Not as cheap as i would of liked. Why cant people stop bidding on the items i want???? lol
Just waiting for them to arrive so hopefully Wed/Thu this week and painting by the weekend. and my 1st masterpiece by the year 2030 :)

:) maybe we should suggest a special section on the forum for all of us that have zero experience (or at least less than 3 months) with these things called airbrushes, that way we can all sit together and compare how wonderful our ink spots are coming along, and where the more experienced can come and take a trip down memory lane

:) maybe we should suggest a special section on the forum for all of us that have zero experience (or at least less than 3 months) with these things called airbrushes, that way we can all sit together and compare how wonderful our ink spots are coming along, and where the more experienced can come and take a trip down memory lane

Might be a good idea to start your own beginners user group, you are allowed since your an elite member, if you do I promise to join.

There are so many new and great artists on the forum now, it's starting to get a little overwhelming, so it might be nice to have our own little cubby hole to hide in away from the might of talent, and sneak out now and again for advice.

IT'S HERE :untroubled: just need some of the minor stuff, like paints etc lol. Will keep you informed on my progress on the sliding scale from absolute crap to crap :)

Would be good if there was an area on the forum for us noobs to post up some progress pics/vids etc as mentioned.

Catch you laters

Back