help with a vl

R

redrr308

Hey all im new and found this forum looking for answers. I have a paasche vl with new needles and everything. Im having an issue when i depress the trigger for air, paint starts spraying for a bit. Itll work itself to clean air for a sec but iy will end up spraying more paint before pulling back. Paasche vl 40psi

You got to try to clean the nozel it self from the inside... if it is able to unscruew

I do it with a thin sharped and wet toothpick VERY GENTLY...VERY CAREFUL...

You need to soak your fluid nozzle in some cleaner for a bit to loosen that gunk up.

Alright guys ill give this a try. I tried all 3 tips and needle sizes with the same issue.

If you have tried it with a clean nozzle then I would guess that the needle is not pushed forward enough to seal with the nozzle tip allowing a little paint to come thru. Dont force it though..those nozzles can be fragile little buggars. Probably not likely but maybe the needle is not the right size for the nozzle also. Dont get frustrated and give up, you will fix it and learn a lot in the process :). Createx Restorer http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/craire4oz.html is a good product to put your nozzles in and let soak for awhile (overnite should be good) should you wanna try and eliminate that as a problem. If those ideas dont work then come on back and I guarantee someone here will give you a solution :)

Yep thanks guys. Iv seen this with cheapo Harbor Freight airbrushes. But cant find a solution.

I got a bunch of crap out of it everything looks pretty darn clean but its still doing it. I cant see the needle not being tight enough in the fluid nozzle.

Maybe its a dumb question, but the VL comes with three nozzles, needles and air caps. They have to match correctly otherwise the thing will not spray correctly. I am guessing you are trying the Number 3 (fine set up, 0.5mm)

Also, what paint are you using? Do you get the same issue when you spray just water?

Edit.... forgot to ask what I thought was a dumb question :p Do you have the needle chuck tight enough? Could be slipping as you start to use it but the needle is being pushed back and not coming forward again?

Yep using the correct tips and caps to the corresponding needles. They all are labled so that helps. I actually was using water this morning before soaking all of the pieces. I tried black createx a minute ago. My #3 fluid nozzle is broke which i thought was the problem at first. Tried the #5 and now the small #1 setup and all have the same issue. I did not remove the brass fitting inside that the needle passes through right after the trigger mechanism. And i didnt crank the tip and cap with a wrench but id imagine its tight enough with my gorilla fingers.

You might try loosening the chuck nut an pushing in slightly on the needle and while doing that tighten the chuck nut and see if that cures it?also try uping the spring pressure as it might be to light?
I use spray carb cleaner in mine to clean the junk out,Just pull the needle out of the way and put the spray tube down in the cup facing the tip and spray till I get a straight stream out of the tip. You will know when its clean, Just watch out for back spray!!

Last edited:
Ya put a little forward pressure on the needle when locking it down didnt want damage the fluid nozzle up front. I want to pull an internal brass fitting that the needle passes through and see if anything looks damaged or rough. Ill look into that return spring too. Thanks everyone for the ideas.

That's really odd. I use a VLS all the time and it seldom clogs or spits really. I also use the #5 set for mass coverage. It definitely sounds like your needle is not seating in the nozzle completely.

Ya put a little forward pressure on the needle when locking it down didnt want damage the fluid nozzle up front. I want to pull an internal brass fitting that the needle passes through and see if anything looks damaged or rough. Ill look into that return spring too. Thanks everyone for the ideas.
That seal would cause the paint to shoot backwards into the trigger mechanism. Im pretty sure that isn't it but it can't hurt to take it all apart and give the whole gun a good cleaning.

Iv ran the dial all the way in on the limit but could it be keeping the trigger from returning completely?

Iv ran the dial all the way in on the limit but could it be keeping the trigger from returning completely?
In theory, if it is all the way in and the trigger is all the way forward, no. It shouldn't still spit. Maybe it is not returning all the way or screwing in. Just a wild shot but try lubing the entire gun and ALL moving components and even spray some lube through the gun. Siphon up some lube and spray it. Sometimes that loosens things up a bit. I have soaked my entire VLS in oil all night long when i first got it. Had 20 years of stuff stored up inside.

Ya i just picked this up and while its not in bad shape i did het a bunch of crap out of it today. The #1 and #5 noozles and caps are new they show no signs of being used. The #3 nozzle is broke but the needle looks ok. I bought new needles for #1 and #3 and jm missing #5 needle.

Might email paasche in the morning after work and see what they say.

Back